986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   The adventures of Debbie the girl : racecar driver (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47246)

Ian c 08-22-2013 12:37 PM

Adams got recommended to me a while ago .
Ill pm you if we ever head that way .
Likewise pm me if you're ever going to Irvine ...

We will be there again today after work .
She wants to drop another second :)

I have been trying my best to boost her confidence from the beginning ,
But the autocross on Saturday did my work for me :)
She had a great instructor called Kurt , and and that has DEFINATELY helped her mindset .

Ian c 08-22-2013 08:16 PM

We set off later today ... Full track .
Lots of bumping :D

Debbie cut her best time in the first race , then again in the second . Totaling about half a second I think .
I cut mine in the first race by about a tenth , then dipped in the second :rolleyes:

jb92563 08-24-2013 10:32 PM

Do you know about racing line apex, braking, and power application techniques?

You will get that during your PDS course on friday, but heres a link
The racing line | Taking corners at speed

You can download the manual for the PDS from the pcasdr.net site as well.
Porsche Club of America | San Diego Region

Late apex is neat because you get on the gas early and really accelerate out of a turn fast and may work well with the electric carts if the traction is sufficient and will be good practice for autocross.

Ian c 08-29-2013 04:03 PM

Yeah late apex works well on the karts , we are practicing things that where taught to us at the ax and most work and times are coming down ... :)
I'm working on a different technique at the moment though on a couple of "overtaking" bends , and was only a couple of Tenths slower than my previous best after the first attempt ... I wish these arts where 2-seaters and we had instructors :D

I just got a confirmation email on the drivers school with a link , but haven't checked yet if its the same one you supplied earlier .
Thanks for that BTW :cool:

Ian c 09-07-2013 07:50 PM

So the latest on this .....

We went and did 2 races on the karts on Thursday night .
I got my best time on the first race , Debbie was just off her best time .

In the second race I concentrated on late apex on three corners that could be considered as going into a strait (2 were no strait but had full throttle 90* turns)
It felt faster , smoother , more controlled ... But was a second off my earlier race :confused:

Debbie concentrated on her lines as usual , but getting on the gas sooner ..
And got her best time ever .
Consistent throughout the 14 laps too :cheers:

I was around half a second off making the "best times of the week" list , and Debbie is just short of a second behind me . (This will probably grow to me being a second off by the time the weekend crowd have finished)

It appears to be working .
She is getting more confident and comfortable , plus getting better each time we race .

I have been expecting the sd pca driving school to be a MASSIVE boost to her driving skills and confidence , and as she is eager to learn I think it will be huge success .
Maybe enough to see the year out doing 4-5 more auto crosses then trying a DE or two next year :D

I don't know who she spoke to from the San Diego region , but she's talking about wanting harnesses fitted .
Thanks for that .
You just cost me around a thousand dollars ... :rolleyes:

stephen wilson 09-08-2013 04:02 AM

A late apex is to allow early acceleration, which typical carts have little of. So momentum, and not scrubbing off speed becomes the priority. Generally speaking, the higher powered a car, the later an apex can be utilized.

Ian c 09-08-2013 08:08 AM

You are correct , although these electric karts have good acceleration :D

At the end of the "strait" strait , there is a 180 then a 90* strait .
I take the 90 flat out so I'm calling it a strait ...

This 180 is one of the Overtaking places I talked about earlier and have stood there spectating to see what the more experienced guys do both on an empty track and when they hit traffic there .

I could do with instruction as about the only way I know I got the 180 right is I'm carrying more speed through the flat out 90 and the tyres are near the limit making the turn .

Then I'm too fast into the next 180 :D

Great fun though !!!
We are going to go again today :)

Ian c 05-11-2014 11:15 AM

Thought I'd update as it's been a while ....

We moved house and problems at work meant I have been working 7 12hr days a week .
So we had to cancel all auto crosses and driving school :(

Work has eased off and I'm taking a couple of days off during the week to finish the yard and will be finished shortly , so looking at carrying this on .

The boxster has been eating rear tires every couple of months and Debbie has been complaining about the ride quality , so I booked it into hergesheimer for an alignment and inspection and that 5 minute drive from home to there was the first time I'd driven it since last year ....

What a dog !!!

Her pss-9s arrived on Friday to go with the tarret adjustable bits and the new top mounts should be here sometime next week .
I'm currently at work and looking at prices to replace all moving parts in the suspension and I'm thinking it makes sence do do it all at once :)
I'm also talking with Ira at tarret about adjustable swaybars but I'll leave them until she has more hours on the new suspension .
Maybe the end of the year ...

We're booked for two autocrosses at the end of this month , one in San Diego and the following week at eltoro . So it looks like I'll have a little bit of time to get it all installed and set up ....