Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Garage
First Trip to Road America

Last week I went with the Nord Stern PCA chapter to Road America for the first time. What an incredible track. I'd been to our "local" track at Brainerd twice before, but I've got to say that RA is in a completely different league. It's a *beautiful* setting. Even if there weren't a track there, the scenery is amazing with the rolling kettle moraine landscape. I can only imagine how breathtaking it must be in the fall.

The days we were there, it was *hot*. Well over 90°F both days. My little Boxster held up like a champ, though. Engine temps were a bit hotter than normal while on the track, but immediately cooled down after a session was done.

You can find some video here:
Nord Stern PCA Cheese Fling 2013 - 2nd Afternoon Session Jul 16 - YouTube (Part 1)
Nord Stern PCA Cheese Fling 2013 - 2nd Afternoon Session Jul 16 Part 2 - YouTube (Part 2)

I ran with the Novice group, as this was my 3rd DE overall, and my first at RA. Even though I'm running a 1st gen Boxster (1999), I think I could have run with the Intermediate group, as I was routinely passing cars I really had no business passing, or even keeping up with.

My best lap time of the week was 3:04. I timed a spec Boxster running in group 3 (Experienced), and he was running a 2:55, so I think I did pretty well. The data I got from my QStarz GPS/datalogger is pretty noisy - I can guarantee you I'm not doing 40 mph in the Carousel (more like 70-75), nor am I doing 129 through The Kink (more like 90). So take the heads-up display on the video with a grain of salt.

If ANY of you have the opportunity to make it out to Road America, do it!! It was well worth the trip.

pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #2

Road America is a GREAT facility. Everyone should at least drive that once.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Which group do you drive with up at BIR? I live in maple Grove and work in St Paul. Just got my first Boxster - running up there Monday.
ganseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Garage
ganseg - I ran with the local Porsche Club chapter (Nord Stern). In fact, I think I've met you already karting with the BMW guys, haven't I? I'm a friend of Tim O's.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Very awesome! What a great track.

If I can make a few comments, I'd say that you're driving is nice and smooth while you look relaxed in the cockpit - excellent!

Something to think about would be to use all of the road prior to corner entry (get all the way to the edge) and work on unwinding the wheel earlier so you don't scrub speed on corner exit.

Thanks for the video's and darn good for a 3rd DE!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

Garage
thstone - Thanks. I'm very grateful for the feedback. A friend that went with me on this trip, and who has a LOT more seat time than I do, noticed the same thing - I could be back on the power sooner if I were able to unwind the wheel sooner. His suggestion was to turn in later. I've gotta say, it felt awfully late turning in as it was.

I can see how using the extra couple feet of track will help with that. I will try and put your, and his, advice to use at my next DE September when I'm running at Brainerd International Raceway.

Cheers!