986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   PCA Zone 8 DE and Time Trial Pomona Fairplex June 9th (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46198)

Topless 05-29-2013 08:35 PM

PCA Zone 8 DE and Time Trial Pomona Fairplex June 9th

This is a great local track and a good first step if you wish to do a little track driving in your Porsche. The DE is entry level so no previous experience is necessary. The Time Trial requires experience and Zone 8 rules (and points) will apply. Tons of seat time! (5x20) minute sessions + timed runs= A good day!

A little history of the track:
RETROSPECTIVE>>ROAD RACING AT POMONA - Speedhunters
No tunnel passage this event due to damaged asphalt surface.

PCA - Grand Prix Region announces Fairplex DE/Time Trial Sunday, June 9, 2013 info at Fairplex at Pomona, La Verne, CA 91750 (2101) - MotorsportReg.com

Can Tommy bring the 996 out and play? :)

thstone 05-30-2013 06:27 AM

Hah! Yes, I just put a new set of R-S3's on the 996 and Pomona would be a great track for a day of exploring the "unique handling characteristics" of the 911!

AKnowles 05-30-2013 10:36 AM

Hmm, I don't think I'm ready for this yet. Haven't even gotten my car inspected yet (required isn't it), but might stop by just to see what it is like and say hi!

thstone 05-30-2013 11:56 AM

AK - worst case, you can get your inspection done at the track the morning of the event. That is what I'll probably end up doing. Regardless of whether you're driving or not, if you can stop by, I would be glad to meet you, show you around, and talk cars. I bet that we could even get you a ride along for a session.

Topless 05-30-2013 01:07 PM

Cool! Come out and play boys. I might need a little right-seat time in the blue streak Tom. :)

Aknowles, this may be your best local opportunity for an entry level DE here in town including a chalk-talk/ground school and a bunch of free National DE instructors to choose from. Make sure you have plenty of tire tread and brake pads and just come and drive. 911 Design will tech your car for free if you call in advance. I recommend this for your first event. Trackside inspection is always available but it gets crowded and lines are long. Pre-tech is better and more thorough. You are always welcome to come out and just watch. I did that the first PCA AX in my area after I bought my car and I was dying to drive after 20 minutes.

AKnowles 05-30-2013 04:18 PM

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do. Since I live in the Cochella Valley everythings is a ways away, but I might be able to fit in an inspection that Friday. I start working 4 10s (4 days a week 10 hours each) next week that leaves my Fridays free. I'll just need to check with the wife to make sure she didn't make any family plans first. If not, I'll bring her along too.

FWIW, I also have a functioning PST2 and can bring that with me if you think anyone would need to use it.

thstone 06-03-2013 07:26 PM

While I was driving last week, I noticed the engine on the 996 running a bit warm (on the line between 180 and 250). My Boxster rarely, if ever, went past the 0 in the 180 so I thought I better investigate and found that the drivers side radiator fan isn't coming on. Seem to be either a relay or a ballast resistor (was able to get the fan to turn on). Either way, I have a bit more troubleshooting to do and then get the parts and repair so it looks like I won't be able to make it this weekend.

AKnowles 06-04-2013 06:02 AM

BUmmer, but I understand. I replaced my drivers side ballast just a couple of weeks ago. What's up with that? Why does the drivers side always seem to go first? :) But it only takes about an hour.

I can't run in the DE this weekend either. I gave a preliminary inspection and need a new battery. Mine is too small and is only held down on one side. Plus my brake pads are under 50% at thsi point. But I'll go through the calendar and see if I can be ready for the next one.

I may still be able to stop by and see what it is like though on Sunday. Is there a fee to just attend?

thstone 06-04-2013 07:51 AM

I am still trying to get it fixed in time. Any used car is expected to have a few deferred maintenance items which is why I took a detailed look at things last weekend.

Attendance for spectators is free.

AKnowles 06-04-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 345805)
Attendance for spectators is free.

Cool. Looks like my wife & I will stop by on Sunday. Maybe I'll see you both there.

thstone 06-04-2013 11:55 AM

Used the Durametric to test and all of the relays worked fine. Must be the drivers side ballast resistor. Ordered a replacement today. Should be an easy fix on Friday/Saturday.

I am registered for Sunday! See ya' there.

AKnowles 06-08-2013 08:04 PM

Looks like I need to go in tot he office tomorrow, so will not be able to make the DE even as a spectator. :(

Hope it all goes well for you though!

thstone 06-09-2013 04:47 PM

Had a great day at the track! Nothing like chasing down a few GT-3's and passing them. Learned a lot about 996 handling as compared to the Boxster (Boxster is better!). The one thing that was nice about the 996 is the extra 100hp.

AK - sorry you couldn't make it, maybe next time.

AKnowles 06-09-2013 07:08 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time. I've learned a bit about what I need to do to make a DE, so still consider it a learning experiance. I'll just need to get it all up to mechanical spec, get it inspected to know its is all right, and prep for the next one.

Topless 06-09-2013 07:32 PM

Good to see you today Tom. It was a lot of fun and everyone got in tons of track time.

In the TT Lars Falman took TTOD in a well prepared 951 (Turbo 944) with my brother laying down 2nd in a 2.5 Boxster. :cheers: I managed 5th overall, 1/2 second behind him out of 20 TT drivers who competed.