Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Track car build

Okay have a line on an 86 944 for $6K
Or a 99 986 for 8.5K. What do you think will most cost effective build candidate?

No hard top on the box so I am already down 1.5k there? The 944 can be rallied around in winter right now

Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Okay have a line on an 86 944 for $6K
Or a 99 986 for 8.5K. What do you think will most cost effective build candidate?

No hard top on the box so I am already down 1.5k there? The 944 can be rallied around in winter right now
944 will be maintenance intensive, might want to lurk on Pelican's 944 forum 1st!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
944 will be maintenance intensive, might want to lurk on Pelican's 944 forum 1st!
Yeah I have heard this and the opposite??

The one i am after has had a clutch and timing belts changed and is a non turbo....so at least that is a positive
Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
This is non-intuitive but often true. If you want to race, build a car with a highly active class in your area. This will be the most bang for the buck by far and the choice of car is far less relevant. We have a lot of guys in SoCal who have more money than brains and build the "ultimate" race car while ignoring all racing rule books. The result is they get classified with Ariel Atoms and McLarens and just get destroyed every weekend. Not fun!

Go to the local track, find the active class with guys you would like to race with and build to the rule book. If you drive well you have a good chance of winning.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
This is non-intuitive but often true. If you want to race, build a car with a highly active class in your area. This will be the most bang for the buck by far and the choice of car is far less relevant. We have a lot of guys in SoCal who have more money than brains and build the "ultimate" race car while ignoring all racing rule books. The result is they get classified with Ariel Atoms and McLarens and just get destroyed every weekend. Not fun!

Go to the local track, find the active class with guys you would like to race with and build to the rule book. If you drive well you have a good chance of winning.
....very insightful thought; it was in the back of my head but you crystallized for me
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post

+1 Excellent advice! Couldn't have said it better.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
SPB racer

Garage
Minor point but the hardtop on my SpecBox cost only $900 through Brad Roberts. Having said that you would be kidding yourself if you thought a competitive spec box can be built for less than 30k. Mine now owes me closer to $40K and still looks like s..t. If you really want to race a Boxster you would be better to buy one of the 2nd hand ones that are floating around. I've heard that they have sold for as little as $20K
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #8

....and some of the good ones are $45K
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
SPB racer

Garage
No. People are asking 45. That's a different thing. On the other hand if you feel the need to spend 45, I have a podium finishing, lap record holding, beaten up looking SPB that you need to own.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #10

Do you actually want a project car, or just an affordable race car? It's generally cheaper to buy a used race car in need of freshening up vs. a new build.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Yes just an affordable race car. I barely get time and space to work on my Boxster.......and whaaaaat?! They are now going to run NASCAR at Mosport and are paving, widening run off areas, no more wet line? no more breakaways when touching the wrong line at the wrong time??? No more carnage??

Hmmm do I need a dedicated track car???
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

A Spec Boxster is a very good and relatively affordable race car (price is always relative!). Most are dedicated track cars but some are still outfitted with just enough equipment to remain street legal. To get started, a used Spec Boxster in decent shape can be found for around $20K.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
A Spec Boxster is a very good and relatively affordable race car (price is always relative!). Most are dedicated track cars but some are still outfitted with just enough equipment to remain street legal. To get started, a used Spec Boxster in decent shape can be found for around $20K.

I only know of one street legal BSR...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes just an affordable race car. I barely get time and space to work on my Boxster.......and whaaaaat?! They are now going to run NASCAR at Mosport and are paving, widening run off areas, no more wet line? no more breakaways when touching the wrong line at the wrong time??? No more carnage??

Hmmm do I need a dedicated track car???
Jaykay, why not put your money into the Boxster you have for a dual purpose car?

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote