Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #1

No, I didn't kill her, but I thought about it for a second!

Last week I was parked in town on the side of the road, engine running, out of gear (thank God!) talking on my cell phone. I actually do, at times, pull over to do that. I was about 10 feet from a diagonal parking spot. I just barely noticed the car in the nearest spot backing out when I realized it was going to clip my front left side! Instead of backing straight out, she swerved to the right as she was coming out. Crap, it was dark, raining like a bugger and I wasn't paying attention. The driver just must have jumped in and backed right out with out ever looking. She pulled right back in and got out...it was a woman I've known for over 15 years! Small damn world.

She has good insurance but was very disturbed when I told her how much the car cost new and "that Hansel & Gretel have to swim from Bavaria with parts". Later she told me her insurance agent said something similar like "of all the cars to back into...a Porsche?" The good news is nobody was hurt and it's really a minor hit. It will be expensive; replacing left fog light, repainting base, color and clear bra can't be inexpensive. I was amazed I never really got the least bit upset. My passenger was so quiet, he was waiting for me to bust out on the gal. I drove off after looking it over and getting info and he finally said "you on drugs, Bob?" I had to laugh. It will be an inconvenience, obviously, but hey in the scheme of things, it's but a blip on the radar!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #2

Wow.. I am sorry to hear about this. But am VERY impressed with your calm demeanor. That would have been extremely difficult for me to do. You should surely have some good karma coming your way now.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
hey man, you handeled the situation well.
and im glad no one was hurt, and car will be fixed
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #4

People need to be careful.

I'm sorry about your baby.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #5

Sorry to hear man... upgrade? Maybe get a Techart front ot something? I know every time something like that happens to me I try to change it to justify it happening.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #6

I just got the estimate yesterday. It will be over $2k to fix and it's a minor scratch! (I'm not surprised, but the gal will be!) The Armorcoat (clear bra) is no longer available locally, so the bumper will be removed, completely stripped, painted, cured for several days and then sent somewhere to be armor coated. One of the significant costs will be just a rental. (How much does an '05 Cayman rent for anyway?)

As long as I don't end up with something that has bodybags instead of airbags, I'll be OK.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I just got the estimate yesterday. It will be over $2k to fix and it's a minor scratch! (I'm not surprised, but the gal will be!) The Armorcoat (clear bra) is no longer available locally, so the bumper will be removed, completely stripped, painted, cured for several days and then sent somewhere to be armor coated. One of the significant costs will be just a rental. (How much does an '05 Cayman rent for anyway?)

As long as I don't end up with something that has bodybags instead of airbags, I'll be OK.

Ouch!
I doubt her car insurance will agree on your estimate $2,500 for a bumper scratch. Most insurance company will usually send their insurance inspectors to investigate and give you their own estimate. On top of that your insurance premuim may increase because of the reported accident.
The best deal is to handle the situation among yourselves and have her cut you a check.

Car accidents are bad bad news no matter whos fault becaue both parties suffer in the long run.
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
Ouch!
I doubt her car insurance will agree on your estimate $2,500 for a bumper scratch. Most insurance company will usually send their insurance inspectors to investigate and give you their own estimate. On top of that your insurance premuim may increase because of the reported accident.
The best deal is to handle the situation among yourselves and have her cut you a check.

Car accidents are bad bad news no matter whos fault becaue both parties suffer in the long run.
Well, they will have an argument from me if they try to nickel & dime me.

I cannot understand why my insurance goes up, I will not/have not reported it to my insurance company and they are totally uninvolved. It was not reported as an accident, either.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Well, they will have an argument from me if they try to nickel & dime me.

I cannot understand why my insurance goes up, I will not/have not reported it to my insurance company and they are totally uninvolved. It was not reported as an accident, either.
Don't put any stock in the previous post. You have a $2,500 estimate from a body shop you want to fix your car. Though your car was occupied, it was stopped; for all intents and purposes, parked. It was struck by an insured vehicle, operated by an inattentive driver, who admits fault. Her insurance company will pay your claim with very little fanfare. You have the right to have it fixed at the shop of your choice. Her insurance company will not send CSI to pore over your car or your claim. Lastly, your insurance will be completely unaffected.

Oh, by the way, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I certainly hope it comes out good as new.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Don't put any stock in the previous post. You have a $2,500 estimate from a body shop you want to fix your car. Though your car was occupied, it was stopped; for all intents and purposes, parked. It was struck by an insured vehicle, operated by an inattentive driver, who admits fault. Her insurance company will pay your claim with very little fanfare. You have the right to have it fixed at the shop of your choice. Her insurance company will not send CSI to pore over your car or your claim. Lastly, your insurance will be completely unaffected.

Oh, by the way, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I certainly hope it comes out good as new.
Thanks, Griz, that sounds a lot more realistic to me. I know I have the right to have it fixed where I want as well. I simply asked the dealership to whom they send their porsches. #1 Collision is where I was sent....guess what? (ouch) 2 Boxsters already in there just finishing up!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #11

Very easy to get a $2-3k bumper scratch

I guarantee I could show you a picture of mine after I was hit from behind and from 20 feet you couldn't tell a thing was wrong. But the support structures had to be redone, the muffler was bent and had to be replaced, etc, etc. Easy $3k and the bumper repair and repaint was only about 30% of the total.

Our cars are awfully expensive to fix in both parts and labor. I hit a truck (my fault) and got out thinking $5-6k. How bad could it be, airbags didn't even deploy. They stopped counting at $27k and handed me the check. Totaled. I swear on a Honda the same would have been fixable for lots less.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote