Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #1

Wheel & Tire Size

I'm going to purchase new wheels for my 02 Boxster S when the tires need replacing. I want to get 19s, but everything I have read sugests that's a bad idea. Porsche says the suspension is not strong enough.

Has anyone put 19s on their car? What are you running with today? Recommendations?

Also, the car came with Pirelli P zero Azimetrico in the front and Corsa in the back. My past experience with Pirellis is they tend to run louder and harsher than Michelin or Bridgstone. Does anyone have any experience in running different tires on their Boxster?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #2

Wheel Help

Ladies & Gentlemen,

With 6000 members and all the beautiful cars I see on this forum, I cannot believe there isn't anyone out there that can help me with my question.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #3

I have 18's on my car but I know there are some people on this board with 19's.

I bought my 02 S with Michelin Pilot Sports that only had 3-4k left on them. I have since replaced them with Goodyear F1's and have been very satisified with them. There are so many variables that it's hard to say which one is the best. I went with the Goodyears because of the price and the good reviews. I was very disappointed with the Michelin Pilot Sports but something to keep in mind was they were 4 year old tires at the end of their life. I don't know what the future has in for the F1's but so far so good.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #4

I put 19s on about a week after buying my car. I am so glad I made that decision. The look is great, the ride is great. I live and work just outside the Seattle area and the roads are pretty good here.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Yes.. There are people out here running 19's.. maybe even a couple with some 20's.

Porsche only "certified" use of 16-18"s for your year car due to the increased stress on the chassis that 19's transmit. Porsche did substantial revisions to the 987/997 chassis to handle 19"s as a factory wheel.

That said, no one says you can't put 19s on your car. However, should you begin to crack or stress chassis/subframe pieces, don't expect Porsche to replce them for free

Comes down to vehicle use in part. Also, tire availability can be an issue. Not sure Pep boys carries a lot of high performance 19" tires

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote