Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #1

Belt tensioner question

I think my belt problem may be a tensioner. When I put the socket and breaker on the 24MM bolt and turn clockwise the tensioner moves to the left, however when I release, the tensioner returns but it does not return all the way to the right, in other words if I apply pressure counterclockwise I can move the tensioner further to the right. Does this mean that the tensioner is not retracting all the way to the position it should be in and is therefore defective?

This is without a belt on. I'm just testing the tensioner. If its properly functioning, should you be able to move it to the right by turning counterclockwise on the bolt? Thanks,

Mike PS-Anyone know the part number for a 986 tensioner for a 2001?

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

Hi,

The PN for the tensioner itself is 996.102.260.50 - $150-$200 Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanks Jim,

Do you think that is the problem from my description?

Mike
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro
Thanks Jim,

Do you think that is the problem from my description?

Mike
Hi,

Had a similar problem w/ the timing belt on my esprit. Turned out that the tensioner bushings were worn and the tensioner had to be rebuilt (don't think that's possible on the Boxster tensioner, replacement rather than rebuild). But, b4 spending $150+ for a replacement, get it to an independent and have thm confirm it. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #5

ended up taking it to a local shop today to see what they could do. I called Warranty Direct and they would not cover it if I tried myself, so I asked them if they would rather pay for a tow, labor and the parts as opposed to just paying for the parts if I did it, and to my surprise, they wanted the shop to do it. Oh well, hopefully I won't be out any expenses and will be driving again by this weekend. Shop said it appeared to be the upper idler pulley bearings AND the tensioner. I'll let y'all know how it turns out and how much Warranty Direct pays for. Thanks for your advice.

Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #6

What was the outcome? I have precisely the same play in my belt tensioner arm. I am unsure as to whether it should behave like that & if not, should I replace it?

mattatk is offline   Reply With Quote