986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   spark plugs (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9515)

fab 02-13-2007 10:08 AM

spark plugs

How many are needed to replace in a 2000 base model boxster? Any particular kind? Any tips on changing the spark plugs?

porsche986spyder 02-13-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab
How many are needed to replace in a 2000 base model boxster? Any particular kind? Any tips on changing the spark plugs?

They aren't easy to reach, I can tell you that much. Gee lets see, the car is a SIX cylinder, so I would have to guess 6 spark plugs! :p

Adam 02-13-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab

I don't know the part # off hand for OEM plugs for your model but I do know it needs 6 of them. Somebody else here has that info. Judging from your post, I think you should take it to a good shop to have the work done.

denverpete 02-13-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
They aren't easy to reach, I can tell you that much. Gee lets see, the car is a SIX cylinder, so I would have to guess 6 spark plugs! :p

Wait, wait, wait. This is one of those trick questions right? It couldn't possibly be THAT easy. So.... it's really 7. It is isn't it? Am I right? I'm right, right? I think I'm right....

bmussatti 02-13-2007 10:20 AM

Fab, this link should help you with spark plugs:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =986plu&Category_Code=986maint

porsche986spyder 02-13-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab

I let the dealership change mine. Cost about $350.00 I believe they use Champion Platinum. I also asked them about installing the Irridium Spark plugs, because they are suposed to be better, but they told me if they did, they would not be able to warranty the work done, because they are not O.E.M. parts. So I went with what they normally used. :cheers:

blue2000s 02-13-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

"They aren't easy to reach, I can tell you that much. Gee lets see, the car is a SIX cylinder, so I would have to guess 6 spark plugs! "

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
Wait, wait, wait. This is one of those trick questions right? It couldn't possibly be THAT easy. So.... it's really 7. It is isn't it? Am I right? I'm right, right? I think I'm right....

That's not as silly a question as you two make it out to be. For a long time, the boxer engine used 12 plugs!

CJ_Boxster 02-13-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

I let the dealership change mine. Cost about $350.00 I believe they use Champion Platinum. I also asked them about installing the Irridium Spark plugs, because they are suposed to be better, but they told me if they did, they would not be able to warranty the work done, because they are not O.E.M. parts. So I went with what they normally used. :cheers:

Throw away your platinums, and never buy iridiums for your boxster. All bad stuff, I lost the part number for the correct copper bosch plug... I gave the number to afew people here... maybe they can come forward with that number.

porschegeorg 02-13-2007 10:36 AM

I'm planning on changing the plugs when I get my car ready for spring. I want to use the OEM Beru plugs....does anyone know if they come pre-gapped? I hate
gapping plugs.

bmussatti 02-13-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschegeorg
I'm planning on changing the plugs when I get my car ready for spring. I want to use the OEM Beru plugs....does anyone know if they come pre-gapped? I hate
gapping plugs.

Even if they come pre-gapped, you should still check them for accuracy. They can easily come out-of-spec during shipping and handeling.

denverpete 02-13-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
Quote:

"They aren't easy to reach, I can tell you that much. Gee lets see, the car is a SIX cylinder, so I would have to guess 6 spark plugs! "

That's not as silly a question as you two make it out to be. For a long time, the boxer engine used 12 plugs!

Fair enough. Some Carreras without direct ignition used 12. But come on - while it may have been a legitimate question - It was also too hard to pass up on the humor side....

FrayAdjacent 02-13-2007 11:13 AM

AFAIK, no flat six engines in any Porsche available for sale had twin plugs. (that is, 2 per cylinder).

HOWEVER, Porsche Racing used twin plugged cars, and it's also a popular modification on Porsche engines for track/racing cars.

That being said, yes, the SIX CYLINDER Boxster uses SIX plugs.

blue2000s 02-13-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
AFAIK, no flat six engines in any Porsche available for sale had twin plugs. (that is, 2 per cylinder).

HOWEVER, Porsche Racing used twin plugged cars, and it's also a popular modification on Porsche engines for track/racing cars.

No, they were in production for a LONG time with 2 plug heads. I'm not sure what year it started, but it went all the way to the 993.

http://p-car.com/diy/sparkplug/

djomlas 02-13-2007 12:18 PM

you paid somebody 350 to change your sparkplugs?! spark plugs are like what $30 bux total or so, and u can easily change them yourself.

funny, my GFs battery went bad today, she called dealer to see how much for a new one, they said $550 installed. they said they can even come to her house and change it for her but that wold cost another 200 bux, even though shes like 20 mins fromt he dealership, lol

all this dealer nonsense is pissing me off, taking advantage of people like that

Quote:

racer_d 02-13-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

964 and 993 motors had twin plug engines - 12 plugs.

Many folks modify Aircooled Porsche 6-cyl motors to be twin plug designs.

Your boxster only needs 6 plugs. If you are adventurous and want to save some money and learn a new skill, replace them yourself. If not, a dealer will be happy to help you out.

porsche986spyder 02-13-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Throw away your platinums, and never buy iridiums for your boxster. All bad stuff, I lost the part number for the correct copper bosch plug... I gave the number to afew people here... maybe they can come forward with that number.

Ahh yes, it was BOSCH. That's what the dealership uses. I was guessing on the brand. :cheers:

porsche986spyder 02-13-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

I believe that guy who said that the "BOXTER" once used 12 spark plugs was talking about the original inventor, from wich the BOXTER engine was named and designed after. NOT the Porsche BOXSTER! So he is probably right. :dance:

racer_d 02-13-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

I believe that guy who said that the "BOXTER" once used 12 spark plugs was talking about the original inventor, from wich the BOXTER engine was named and designed after. NOT the Porsche BOXSTER! So he is probably right. :dance:

I've never heard of a "BOXTER" motor.. I have heard of a Boxster motor and a "BOXER" motor ;)

porsche986spyder 02-13-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
you paid somebody 350 to change your sparkplugs?! spark plugs are like what $30 bux total or so, and u can easily change them yourself.

funny, my GFs battery went bad today, she called dealer to see how much for a new one, they said $550 installed. they said they can even come to her house and change it for her but that wold cost another 200 bux, even though shes like 20 mins fromt he dealership, lol

all this dealer nonsense is pissing me off, taking advantage of people like that

Actually I looked at my bill and it was $250.00. If you can tell me how I can change the plugs without the service manual, by all means please do explain. I know it involves removing the intake manifold and all that other crap that is on top of it. When I installed my True-Flow intake I noticed the spark plugs were not in plain view where I could change them easily. I need one of those Bentley manuals for our Boxsters. :cheers:

porsche986spyder 02-13-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
I've never heard of a "BOXTER" motor.. I have heard of a Boxster motor and a "BOXER" motor ;)

Yep your right. My bad. BOXER is the correct spelling. :o