986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How much should I offer for this car... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9476)

bmx672 02-11-2007 02:53 PM

How much should I offer for this car...

2001 Boxster
Red
30k miles
black Leather
sport package
5 speed
power seats
17" wheels
good tires
good brake pads

He want's 21,500.00 which is about right on with what KBB says for a private party sale...

The car is 10 out of 10. Original owner, all records locally etc, etc...
I can honestly say that I have never seen a Boxster in this condition.

Of course I'd get a PPI and vin check.
Assuming they come back clean... what should I offer? I don't want to insult him... but what's the typical first offer?

I would GREATLY appreciate any help guys.

Thanks.

porschegeorg 02-11-2007 02:57 PM

If the car really is a 10 and you really want this one, I'd offer $21,000. Its not worth losing a decent find over a couple hundred dollars.

Have fun in your new Boxster!!!!

bmussatti 02-11-2007 02:59 PM

bmx672, see what the PPI says, and then set-up your pricing strategy. You should be in the "drivers seat"...its winter in the Chicago area...snow expected tonight...and sub zero weather again by mid week. Can't be too many Boxsters selling right now in our town. In March, it will be a whole different story.

Who is doing your PPI? Napletons in Rockford?

bmx672 02-11-2007 03:11 PM

Yes Napletons would do the PPI. They are the ones' that have maintained it since new. I know a guy that just ordered an 07 911 turbo. He said he would have his guy look at it down there. So I feel very comfortable with that.
I was thinking of offering 21k as well... He did price it to sell quick. The guy wants to shop for a Testerossa (sp?). So he would like to get rid of the Boxster soon.
So I'm not sure how much leverage I have.

bmussatti 02-11-2007 03:15 PM

If you are worried that the car could sell fast, offer a deposit, and make the final sale contigent on a passing PPI.

Good luck. Welcome...and post pictures ASAP! :)

Paul 02-11-2007 03:19 PM

Make sure the 30K maintenance has been completed and that it included changing the brake fluid.

Check the tires and the top.

If all of these are OK and it's a "10", $21k is a good deal.

FrayAdjacent 02-11-2007 03:37 PM

If it's a '10' like you say, and he HAS had the 30k service, and a PPI checks out, I think it's worth exactly what he's asking. I wouldn't try to lowball him and lose a cherry Boxster that way.

Again, I think the asking price is fair.

bmx672 02-11-2007 04:10 PM

He showed me the receipt for the 30k service he had done this past fall. Brake fluid etc...
The top is flawless... the back window is flawless.
The tires have around 10k left... they are not new by any means, but can definitely go for another summer.
This car is truly a 10.
The underside of the car is perfect as well. No scrapes on any of the scrape plates... no rock chips on the rockers... not a ding or scratch. All the original books and sticker. The wheel wells are as clean as the day it left the factory. The shocks and rubber underneath is all clean. he said that he can't even recall ever puting window washer fluid in it since he never drove it in the rain etc... He has a factory built 550 spider as well (not original, but still).
I think I need to jump on it...

Norminhouston 02-12-2007 11:32 AM

Sounds like you have found a "jewel". Go for it. Good luck.

denverpete 02-12-2007 11:50 AM

Sounds to me like he's really already adjusted the price for what he'd like to get for it (no padding for negotiations).

Sounds like a very nice deal to me.

Good luck!

Burg Boxster 02-12-2007 12:23 PM

You're in the drivers seat here my friend

Unless IL sales tax is different than mine (PA), you've got an advantage b/c it tells you he's not happy w/ the trade-in # they gave him. If he was, he would have taken the deal b/c then you only have to pay sales tax on the difference (new less trade value). On more expensive (higher valued) cars, it's hard to offset the difference and/or justify the hassle of selling it private party.

For instance, I recently was going to tried to trade in my wife's '02 Volvo S80 w/ 92K miles. The real t/i value was $7K. Since her car had to be ordered, I figured I had some time and would run a $40 ad on Autotrader to see what I could get. Found a guy who wasn't afraid of higher mileage cars and since it was in great condition, he really wanted it. I ended up 'dumping' it for $10K. Sure I lost the $490 sales tax advantage (7% x $7000) but picked up almost $2.5K net ($10,000 - $490 tax - $40 ad - $7000 t/i value).

So, do your homework and figure out the realistic t/i value he was probably offered for it (use NADA and KBB) as well as the PP value. Calculate what the tax saving would be for him if he took their t/i value. Add that to the t/i value and make him an offer somewhere between that and his asking price. This way, everyone should be happy. If he was smart (and since it's winter there too), he would've priced it there already.

Good luck!

z12358 02-12-2007 12:44 PM

Yes, you're in the driver's seat but don't get too comfy there.

One owner, good vibe from owner, all records, 10/10, low mileage cars are not easy to find. You are also not the only one who knows that convertibles are better bought in winter, especially couple of months before spring. If I was in your shoes, and I liked the car, I would try to bluff-haggle a bit but wouldn't blink paying full price especially if it was fairly priced to begin with. $0.5-1k is chump change when you're buying a Porsche, given the high maintenance costs. And you're going to blow that $ on needless 'mods' later, anyway. :) So keep things in perspective, get the car if it passes muster, and sleep tight even if you know you could've potentially paid $500 less.

Z.

bmx672 02-12-2007 02:37 PM

Wel, I made an offer... a nice offer. I'll see what he says and post later!

Houston C4S 02-12-2007 04:42 PM

For what it's worth, I agree that is a good price. Maybe too good!

The reason I say that is that I have a 10 out of 10 one for sale too.
It, too, is a 2001. All books, keys, etc. Porsche dealer maintained.
Silver and that really cool Boxster red full leather interior. The same
basic things the car you are looking at has.

The main difference is that this one has 16,000 miles on it.

And I would like to see $23 - $24K. On a dealer lot, it will bring
$28 +/-K.

You can ask Randall or Travis (from Houston), they know. Randall
has even driven it.

It'll need tires soon and has a teensy scratch in the rear bumper
cover.

But I am rambling. At $21K, with proper maintenance, etc. you
are going to get a good car. Get the PPI, though.

And keep everyone posted on your deal.

All the best,

- Mark

jci-joe 02-12-2007 05:21 PM

I live in PA and when I purchased my 99 box, I negotated the guy down $1000 and told him I would work with him to do a courtesy trade. The way that works is you go with him (her) when he (she) buys the new car. The new car dealer will take the car you want to buy and trade it in. This reduces the sales tax on the new car. You then buy the car from the dealer at the amount you negotated with the seller. This is legal in PA and I have done it may times. My 99 box was listed at $18K and this reduced the tax on the sellers new car by $1080 (0.06x$18K). The only loser is the state and since we have a loser governor, all is good.