Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
boggtown

Cayenne Advice Needed

Hey all, Im looking for a cayenne for my mom. I went to aristocrat yesterday to look while I was on my way to work and saw a dark olive green metallic base model for $48,000. Its a new 06 and has the preffered package and some other little odds and ends. It was stickered at 57 but Im thinking its just been on the lot a while and they want to sell it. (They also had a new cayman with the turbo wheels on it, looked sooooo good. And an 03 911 turbo for 73,000 with like 20,000 miles). Do you think we should get it or keep looking? She wants new but im trying to talk her into used, as in a 04. They just happen to have an 04 cayenne on the lot too... a turbo for 60K. I was going to go test drive it today but it snowed and I dont want to crash it because its super slick outside (I was turning sideways while coasting down a hill, bad).

Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #2

Hey my sister just bought the cayenne last week. i would go for the new (06), they have great deals out right now. end of the lot and they are now expecting 2008 and they are updates.....so great prices on the 06 models right now.

do you think your mom really needs a turbo, i think the base is pretty good, as long as you get it loaded. my sis bought the base, with pretty much all the options, and it's more then enough for her. i would say new, because of the warranty and you know that dam rms ordeal, well it also is a problem in the cayenne.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #3

I haven't driven the new face-lift versions, but with the previous generation, the Cayenne is the only Porsche that I'd recommend getting the "S". The driving experience in the Base Cayenne was unremarkable, but I found the S to be somewhat impressive for an SUV. Engine size/output between the two is pretty significant in the Cayenne (8 cyl. vs. 6).

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #4

ahh, Missouri got the snow also. Isn't it grand driving a Boxster in the snow? I get a lot of weird looks. They're probably thinking what the hell he doing out in a Porsche in this weather.

Anyway, I don't see a reason to pay premium price for the new Cayenne when you can get an "older" Turbo model for cheaper. The new one doesn't even look that much different to justify the higher price. My dads been looking for a Cayenne Turbo and they're priced between 60-80K depending on mileage. He almost bought a Cayenne Techart Magnum a while back that went for 85K with 28K miles. Now that is a good looking Cayenne, looks mean as hell.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #5

Does the 2006 Cayenne even have the facelift or is that the 2007? I do think the facelift looks better so I would take that into consideration. Generally speaking I wouldn't buy a vehicle in its last year of a particular look.

Regarding the 2004, that was the first year of production and there are known issues.

Another thought is the Touareg is pretty close to the same at a much more reasonable price. The new V8 Touareg is 350hp and also has a facelift. You could opt for the V10 diesel and have over 500ft/lbs torque. I also happen to think the Touareg is better looking than the Cayenne but I'm biased b/c I own one.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #6

No 2007 Cayennes. Only 2006 and 2008's (restyled) at a dealer near you, now or soon to be.

Just to be nosy, why a Cayenne in the first place?
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
boggtown

She wants a mid size SUV. We were looking at a new escalade, it was marked down from 60 something to 50. Just too big though. Blinging on 22's and grills though, lol. The cayenne is a cool looking SUV and while I havent driven it yet, Ive heard good things. She would keep it completely stock so the cost of aftermarket stuff isnt an issue. Also....... Im gonna try and get a set of GT3 seats out of it. If I like it a whole lot, and my mom likes it, and were gonna buy it, Id try and get it so wed buy it if they threw in a pair of GT3 seats and hardware. Maybe a long shot, but if he wants to sell it, hed take a 2 grand discount to move it off the lot.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #8

I highly doubt a stealership is going to just give you some GT3 seats. In fact I'm 99.9% sure having worked at a high end dealership.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
boggtown

Well, theres always that .1%, I can hope cant I?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #10
1JB

I would not buy a new base Cayenne or a used Turbo. I drive the base as a dealer loaner when my car has been in and it's underpowered imho. The Tip on it also behaves very strangely under certain conditions, downshifting in turns and when I was rolling down an entrance ramp. That may be becuas of all the different drivers in a loaner and a resulting screwed up "adaptive" trasnmission. I recommend the Acura MDX. Drive one, it's one heck of a great SUV. I've owned one since 2002 and new models are even better.

The turbo Cayenne is off the charts in cost and a used one expensive in turns of maintenance. -Jim
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
boggtown

The main agreement is "get the S if your gonna get one". Im gonna go test drive it today or tomorrow or something. I will let ya know my impressions then.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #12

Ditto on both poster's comments on the Acura and the VW... depending if you want Jap or German. Both are excellent specimens and will be very reliable. Neither are very strong sellers in their class though... at least in my part of the country. Maybe your mom could get a good deal on one.

I would not talk her into buying a Porsche SUV unless she has her heart set on one... an Acura or even a VW will be a lot less money to maintain in a couple of years when maintenance is required.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
bmussatti

It is almost hard to believe that the Cayenne (new ones) is a 4.5L V8 with 450-520 HP (Turbo and Turbo S modles). That's a lot of engine!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
boggtown

I went and drove them today. Base model was good and I liked it a lot. I went and drove the turbo too though . The salesman only had 2 rules: You pay for your own tickets and you cant let a minivan pass you. It was a lot of fun... seriously. But the base model was all supple leather and plenty good. I think im gonna try and get a 24 hour test drive so I can drive it home so my mom can inspect it and drive it.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #15

if you are about to buy then it would be a good idea to post in the Cayenne section of Rennlist. Those guys probably have a ton of suggestions.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #16

My only experience with a Cayanne was as a passenger in the rear seat. We were driving back from the track in my friends "tow vehicle". I was very impressed by the ride quality and handling of this "truck". His was an "S"- 340hp 4.5l V8. Pulled nicely. Really was a nice experience. Mileage sucks though. My friend sold it after 2 years, but I can't remember why, exactly. A little "small" when it came to rear seat leg room, imho.

I believe the base (V-6) model is still available with a stick shift, though not certain.

If considering the Cayenne, consider also its corporate "twins" the Toureg (V6/V8/V10TDi) and Audi Q7.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
It is almost hard to believe that the Cayenne (new ones) is a 4.5L V8 with 450-520 HP (Turbo and Turbo S modles). That's a lot of engine!
Too much engine, I think. I don't know why but that many horses just shouldn't come in a vehicle with such a high and heavy center of gravity. An invitation for trouble, especially if drivers are lulled by a false sense of security provided by the AWD, traction control, and other such gadgetry. Physics, is physics, and no magic can control that thing in a slippery curve at high speed.

Z.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #18
boggtown

Say that... After youve driven a Cayenne turbo. Really, there are limits to a tires grip, ect... but this is a very well behaved car when on its low sport setting. Also, its smart 4WD, not AWD. He didnt really explain that, but something about the differentials locking, ect...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Too much engine, I think. I don't know why but that many horses just shouldn't come in a vehicle with such a high and heavy center of gravity. An invitation for trouble, especially if drivers are lulled by a false sense of security provided by the AWD, traction control, and other such gadgetry. Physics, is physics, and no magic can control that thing in a slippery curve at high speed.

Z.
Cayenne Turbo when it was first unveiled lapped the N-Ring in the same exact time as the BoxsterS...impressive.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Ditto on both poster's comments on the Acura and the VW... depending if you want Jap or German. Both are excellent specimens and will be very reliable. Neither are very strong sellers in their class though... at least in my part of the country. Maybe your mom could get a good deal on one.

I would not talk her into buying a Porsche SUV unless she has her heart set on one... an Acura or even a VW will be a lot less money to maintain in a couple of years when maintenance is required.
The VW and the Cayenne will probably be equally bad to maintain - they're basically the same vehicle. We've had some pretty terrible experiences with our VW - they just haven't figured out how to make electrical components that are reliable for the long term.

Acura has been having major problems with their autotragic transmissions for the past five years, and even though I've had Hondas in the past and loved them, I wouldn't risk it at this point.

I'd probably start looking at preowned X5s if I HAD to have an SUV .

John V is offline   Reply With Quote