986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Freshly detailed pix using Finish Kare products! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9467)

AUDIOGUY 02-11-2007 07:11 AM

Freshly detailed pix using Finish Kare products!

Well, here are the results for the Finish Kare treatment that my 01 S received this weekend. First of all, I did not have time to do this myself, so I enlisted a professional detailer that I work with to apply the products. Needless to say, I am very impressed with the results!

I had emailed Finish Kare and asked what they recommended based on my cars paint condition and color as well as my desired results. Finish Kare promptly emailed back with the following recommendation.

"Preclean first with the 1119 Soil and Coating Remover followed by washing with 118. 1119 will remove all coating from the surface of the paint ( wax, tar, silicones etc.) and the 118 will neutralize any corrosive compound on the surface (acid rain, organic compounds etc.). At this point you will have an excellent surface to apply your protective coating to. The ultra clean surface will allow for maximum
adhesion.

Seeing that it is winter time you may prefer to select option 1. In either case follow this with an application of #2180 Ultra Paint Sealant and a top coat of #1000 Hi Temp Paste Wax and you will be very well protected against all that winter has to offer including the dreaded road salt. The combination of 2180 as a base and #1000 in addition to providing great optics they also are extremely durable, providing excellent protection with build in anti-corrosive agents."

My detailer used in this order:

1) 1119 Soil and Coating Remover
2) 118 Neutralizing shampoo
3) 2180 Ultra Paint Sealant
4) 1000 Hi Temp Paste Wax poloymer based
5) 2 coats of 425 finish detail spray

He claimed that the wax and sealer were difficult to get off once dry but took out
all fine scratches and acid rain spots after they were removed... he attributed this to the prewash and neutralizer as well. He claimed that the products were top quality and I probably "got what I paid for".

Here are the pix! Let me know what you think... keep in mind, my photography skills are minimal.

http://www.fk1usa.com/
check them out!

ohioboxster 02-11-2007 07:17 AM

Looks great!

boggtown 02-11-2007 07:27 AM

I love it when my car is freshly waxed and clean ect... but us black car owners almost always imediately take pictures of our cars after where done cleaning. It pains us to not be able to show people how good our car looks so we have to take pictures to prove it, lol. Because that car is getting dirty tomorrow...
A Black car, its a gift... and a curse.

jwilson95 02-11-2007 07:59 AM

Joe-

Car looks great. Black is sweet when it is right!

Send me a PM on your exhaust. Brand, how you like it, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

z12358 02-11-2007 08:09 AM

Joe, looks beautiful. Very deep. I too got FK 425 and will be applying it when I unwrap my Box in spring. Let me know how/whether it helps in fending off dust and dirt on your black.

Z.

Burg Boxster 02-11-2007 08:33 AM

Audioguy-
Looks great - glossy and deep. It might just be the bright lighting (I think it's called the sun???) but if I might humbly suggest, grab some Mother's Back to Black. Slop it on the rear bumperettes and it'll bring the factory gloss back to those as well. Great job!

AUDIOGUY 02-11-2007 08:47 AM

Thanks for the comments! Pictures usually dont do it justice. It is actually better in person. As for the bumperettes, I never really paid much attention to those. I usually just spray some 425 on them and keep them flat looking but clean. I will give the Back to Black a try as long as it doesnt look like wet tire goo.

Black is the best color if you want to stay in shape constantly cleaning your car!

Time to go for a victory lap.

unklekraker 02-11-2007 08:47 AM

Looks awesome, dude! Now, as soon as Spring hits...time to open up the IE favorites and get refresh on all the cleaning/detailing tips I got form this forum :D

djomlas 02-11-2007 09:06 AM

very clean looking man. it wa locked like that in the field? hehe j/k

Chills 02-11-2007 09:07 AM

That is one gorgeous Boxster. I'm planning on getting mine done once winter is done.

NickCats 02-11-2007 09:09 AM

Great pics, AUDIOGUY !

I love the way the non-amber rear lights look.

Glad you were able to get your "lock out" situation resolved...

Nick

FrayAdjacent 02-11-2007 09:35 AM

beeeeYOOOOOOteeeful!

I might have to look into the soil and coating remover, since I just got my Boxster a little over a month ago, and it really wasn't kept very clean by the PO. Maybe a wash with some of that, and a clay bar, then the wash and wax routine?

I do have a few scratches and chips in the paint... but I know a guy that does touchups for a living. I'm gonna see if he can take a look at it and see what it would take to get all the little stuff taken care of.

wanna986 02-11-2007 10:43 AM

Owning a black car as well, I share your joy in the results. It kills me how, even when trying to sell them, people don't take the time to make them look their best.

The bumperettes? Back to Black is definitely good, but have you considered painting them? It would complete the look. ;)

boggtown 02-11-2007 11:03 AM

Thats why I painted mine. Looks 10 times better, plus I used back to black a lot, and its not all that great to be honest. Only last a week or so.

wanna986 02-11-2007 11:35 AM

Yes, repeated apps are required. Painted bumperettes require much less attention, to be sure.

AUDIOGUY 02-11-2007 11:39 AM

Bogg,
Can you post a pic or two of the painted bumperettes. I run a collision center and it would be quite easy to have them refinished.

By the by, I was running some errands in the newly cleaned car and ran into a buddy of mine with his new girlfriend. I felt badly for him as she was giving me "the eye" after chatting her up sitting in my car.

I just saw on Weather.com that NJ is expecting some decent snow this week... I guess the Box will be sleeping in the garage this week.

Chills 02-11-2007 12:26 PM

Here are my bumperettes. I had them painted last month. Sorry about the dirty car. ;)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...8/IMG_0127.jpg

Rodger 02-11-2007 02:24 PM

Audioguy, your car looks stellar, absolutely stellar!

bmussatti 02-11-2007 02:35 PM

Audioguy, car looks great!

I too, bought some (1 gallon) 425 based on PerfectLaps recommendations. I can't wait to try it this Spring.

Perfectlap 02-12-2007 07:04 AM

looks like you got the right guy to do the job for you. Very very nice, This is the first time I'm seeing 1000P high temp acrylic wax on Black. It's popular with metallics like silver because it gives depth like adding another layer of clear coat while preserving the metallic shimmer.

If you want a long lasting trim coating for the bumperettes, the black plastic around the windshield wipers and the plastic on the soft top trim
try the Poorboys Trim restorer
http://www.detailcity.com/poorboys-trim-restorer.html
it lasts a very long time and it doesn't wash off when it rains.

If the weather gets above freezing any time soon try washing the black car with Optimum No Rinse. Its easier on the paint than a full on hose and suds wash. All you need is a bucket of warm water with an ounce or two of the No Rinse solution, ideally two bucketts, and a few microfiber towels. Or you can dilute it in a spray bottle and wipe down each panel instead of using a dry duster. Follow up with the 425 to seal the wax from the elements and you won't have to wax for a really long time.