986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New to the forum (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9463)

ageranger 02-10-2007 09:26 PM

New to the forum

hello all.
i just became a Porsche owner 2 days ago with the purchase of a 2003 Boxster. it currently has 32,xxx on it and is still under the factory warnety until dec. I am getting ready to go over the car with a fine tooth comb to see what i can find before it is out of waranty. is there anything in specific that i should be on the look out for while doing a inspection on the car? thanks in advance for all your help.

blinkwatt 02-10-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ageranger
is there anything in specific that i should be on the look out for while doing a inspection on the car?

I would access the engine compartment and check for any oil residue around the air/oil seperator,those are prone to failing and oil residue is a sign of future failure.

Bavarian Motorist 02-11-2007 02:16 AM

Wecome! :)

jwilson95 02-11-2007 08:11 AM

Take it do a dealer/indie shop and have them change the oil (esp. if you don't have records) and do a quick once over. It'll be worth the expense to find out now while you don't pay the bill

Jeff

Oh, Welcome and you have to put up a few pics!!

unklekraker 02-11-2007 08:55 AM

Last year when I got the Box w/ 4yrs. ext. warranty, after driving it for almost 2 weeks, I took it to the Porsche dealer for Oil change and ask them to check if there's anything that need to be replace that is covered by warranty...and they found the ff:
Coolant reservoir bottle
Air bag computer thingy (don't excatly knows what it's called)
I forgot the other 3 items they found

my point is, it cost me to take it to the dealer (only one time for change oil) but the results are great. I use 1/2 of what I paid for my ext. warranty :D and IMHO, you should do the same thing while you have a ext. warranty.

:cheers:
-Gerry

ageranger 02-11-2007 12:54 PM

will look into the air/oil sep. but another question. how in the world do i get to the engine compartment. i have never owned a porsche or even touched one until now so these things are new to me. also here is a pic of the car. i will get more soon

7th gear 02-11-2007 01:51 PM

congrats on a quite nice 986!!! :cheers: did you name her yet?

i 2nd what unclekrakle suggests above. do an oil change and have the dealer look under the hood. check the other fluid levels as well. if you've got a decent relationship with the local wrench, go out on a drive with him (/her?). with their experience, they may know just by the sound of the idle.

we've got pretty stable rides. some things might take time to see. i've had 2 'check engine' lites and my car still drove fine until i got it to the mechanic.

drive it kool!
:cool:

ageranger 02-11-2007 03:52 PM

havent named her yet. waiting for the wife to do that. i got the car for her but i will drive it sometimes. i like my trucks a little better but i also like fast cars that hug the road well to. we got rid of a 2002 BMW Z3 for the porsche. it was a good car just the mileage was getting up there and was starting to show signs of the engine getting ready to go.