Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Hitting 5.5k often.....

My newer more aggresive driving habits have the car seeing 5.5kRPM at least once everytime I take it out,is there a problem w/ that? I don't drive like around town,only on onramps. How often are you guys seeing 5.5kRPM+? I know it's a sports car,I maintain it better then Porsche recommends so I should be safe shouldn't I? I just don't want something wearing down extremely fast on me. *

*After my 13 year old brother and I got on the onramp after almost hitting 6kRPM he says, "Whoa! That sounded awesome! You know your car sounds like a video game?"

Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I hit it ALL DAY
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #3

Not if it is warmed up and ....

not if it is safe to drive that way where you are both for you and for others.

The engine loves to be rev'ed.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #4

After the car is warmed up to normal temps, I tend to rail on it a bunch when I can. That's part of the fun!

On a related note, it looks like there is a little light at the end of the tach. Does that come on when you've hit the rev limiter or something? I back off before I hit any red markings. I'm not that bad.

http://foo21.no-ip.info/boxster/boxster_sig_2.jpg
This isn't the Boxster you're looking for...
kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Usually only in 2nd gear while on on-ramps.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #6

5.5k is when my intake and exhaust start to work together. You can realy feel it kick in!
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1005
After the car is warmed up to normal temps, I tend to rail on it a bunch when I can. That's part of the fun!

On a related note, it looks like there is a little light at the end of the tach. Does that come on when you've hit the rev limiter or something? I back off before I hit any red markings. I'm not that bad.
Hi,

That's not a light. It's an Ambient Light Sensor to adjust the intensity of the LED display so you can better see it in bright Daylight...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #8

Even with stock everything it sounds so sweet up at the north end of the rev range. I see in excess of 5k pretty frequently. The engine is so smooth I forget to shift a lot of the time...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1005

You are doing just fine Blinkwatt. Just make sure the car is up to temp. I take it to 7,200 rpm (near redline in mine) at least once every drive usually. If you aren't excersizing the engine you aren't driving the car like it was meant to be.

Kelly, I'ved banged the rev limiter a few times and no light comes on just a slight jerk forward because of the fuel shutoff. These engines weren't designed with Sunday drives to church in mind just in case anybody was wondering.

Last edited by Adam; 03-23-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i love taking mine over 5k, as soooon as it goes over 5k it sounds like a diff car, especially w the intake
love it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
pansies

Take it to the limiter. That's why it's there. The car is not a pansy-a$$ high dolllar cruiser. In all honesty, it is a tuned down racecar. 11+compression?? 7k+ redline?? The computer controls have let us have this along with drivability. Take advantage!!
You won't destory our Boxster on the street. You'd be hard pressed to kill it on the track. Enjoy your car.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Maybe the newer 2.7L & 'S' redline at 7k+ but the old 2.5L redline are at 6.5kRPM.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
Take it to the limiter. That's why it's there. The car is not a pansy-a$$ high dolllar cruiser. In all honesty, it is a tuned down racecar. 11+compression?? 7k+ redline?? The computer controls have let us have this along with drivability. Take advantage!!
You won't destory our Boxster on the street. You'd be hard pressed to kill it on the track. Enjoy your car.
Hi,

Sorry to disagree, but the Boxster is no detuned Race Car. True, it has it's share of Race Technology packaged inside, but that's a far cry from certifying it a Race Car. The Saleen S7, McLaren F1, Ferrari 360, Koenigsegg CCX, 997 GT2, Noble M400, even a C6 (to some extent), are detuned Race Cars, but not the Boxster.

Also, consistently bouncing off the Rev Limiter is not a good Rx for continued Health or Affordability. Constantly triggering the Fuel Cut-off at high RPMs isn't good for ANY motor.

That said, running to 5500 isn't the same thing and consistent runs in this range won't do any harm so long as you keep it in good tune, buy quality fuel and keep the fluids topped up...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #14

I'm no expert, but I am attentive and I don't push my machines.
Glad to here the consensus is that it's o.k. because it sure feels o.k (so does 7K btw)!
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #15

Thanks Jim! I feel so much better now...wifey is actually getting mad everytime i rev to 5500 on 3rd or 4th gear...mine is as long as it's in the Sports mode...im okay with it
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 AM   #16

Hi,

I say get into it. I have a 20 minute drive to work with the first half on a highway and then a windy shortcut through a few hills.
When I hit the hilly section I usualy keep it in 2nd and 3rd with the rpm between 4.5 and 6ish. Great fun....thats what they are meant for.
Just make sure regular maintenance is kept up to date and go for it!!!

I always warm up for 1 or 2 minutes before take of and the first 10 minutes is a cruise to warm it up properly.

Steven.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #17

"How often are you guys seeing 5.5kRPM+?"

All the time, my little 2.7L does not really start singing till after 4K. Several dyno runs have shown that my HP peaks at about 6.3K, so its unusual for me to go above that.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #18

Smile

Developing a CONSENSUS doesn't impact the laws of physics. (Note to climate politicians).

If you guys want to rev your engines, that is cool, as long as it is legal and safe.

However, don't convince yourselfs that it is "good" for the engine. Your engine is not a muscle, it doesn't get stronger from use.

It is a constantly dying piece of machinery that dies a slow death, one RPM at a time.

To wit: You are interested in buying a Boxster and you come to look at mine.

It looks great and it runs great. I tell you that the reason is that I hammer the piss out of it all the time. To me, high RPMs are the deal.

I take it to red line every time I drive the car. I am convinced that the more times I go up there, the better for the car. A check at the dealer reveals that indeed, I love the rev limiter!

Do you buy the car?

Then I tell you that it is so good for my engine to rev it up that I regularly take it to Las Vegas. On the trip, I average 5 to 6K RPM for the 5 hours up and back.

Now, do you buy my car from me?

Answer honestly please.

My point is, saying this is "good" for you engine is kind of silly but it is a harmless silly I guess.

Enjoy!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #19

I never break 2900rpms.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #20

"I never break 2900rpms. "

"99 Boxster, S-Car-Go Headers, Milles Miglia Exhaust"

God bless you if that is true, but its a joke, right. I mean if you have trick exhaust and all, your Boxster wants to run.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote