Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #1

What r my options:battery is dead and trunk not opening

Ok, so for these of you who haven;t read my first post, my Boxster battery died as it was super cold here in STL this week and I was looking for advise to buy a new battery.

I finally decided to take care of it this WE to finally realize that the trunk isn't opening. Somehow my alarm went off when I tried it and stoped after wiggling the key into the ignition...Now what are my option other that jumping at the fuse box to get the hood up? Thanks!

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

You could try to get one of those battery chargers/conditioners that plug in to your cigarette lighter jack. I don't think I'd trust one of those jumpstart things through that jack, though - the leads are too small to handle enough current to crank your engine.

Anyway, if you found a conditioner or charger that could be plugged into the cig lighter, you might get enough juice from that to pop the trunk. Or just leave it plugged in for a couple days, and have a nice charged battery.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #3

There should be a cable release under the right front fender behind the bumper cover in early cars.

If you get alarm from connecting external battery just lock/unlock driver side door with key.

I would think Fray is probably right about getting enough juice from cigarette jumper to pop the hood.

Recommend against prying the lid open with a crowbar.
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 02-10-2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: addition
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #4

well that was my first thought but am a little hesitant about these charger...I had a jump starter(lighter to lighter) and it really did not work (with another car) so i dont really trust that the charger works either...

I guess worth case scenario (as you mentioned) it will give me enough in order to open the trunk...

thanks!
99 silver BMW 323i
Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vouvoune
well that was my first thought but am a little hesitant about these charger...I had a jump starter(lighter to lighter) and it really did not work (with another car) so i dont really trust that the charger works either...

I guess worth case scenario (as you mentioned) it will give me enough in order to open the trunk...

thanks!
The cig lighter to cig lighter connection thing... I seriously doubt you'd be able to actually jumpstart a car from it. Again, the wires are too small to handle the current needed... plus the running car's circuit fuse would probably blow.

Although a charger could charge the battery, albeit VERY slowly, via the cig lighter socket.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #6

Vanessa.I purchased one of those Black & Decker battery chargers. I'm going to plug it in now. I'll let you know if I get enough juice to pop the hood. I'm thinking it might take awhile.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #7

Vanessa... The battery booster worked immediately to pop the hood. We've had such cold temps here, I'm afraid my battery is frozen, so I'm not going to charge or jump it on the car. I'll take it out and bring it inside to thaw. Won't be surprised if I need to replace it. Battery Tender for me immediately after storage next year.

The Black & Decker product is the Simple Start Vehicle Battery Booster. I got it in ebay. Couldn't find it locally.

Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDice
The Black & Decker product is the Simple Start Vehicle Battery Booster. I got it in ebay. Couldn't find it locally.

Good Luck.
Walmart, they have the trickle charger for $17, have had one on my 911 for 4 years so I bought another for my 986. Not as pretty as a factory Porsche charger but they are all probaly made in the same factory in China.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 AM   #9

well, the plug in charger worked just fine (i bought one at Walmart) and replaced the batteyr all together with a Duralast as I lked their 7 year warranty...Thanks for the input you guys!!!

Revdice: Thanks for the update, it work right away for me too...

99 silver BMW 323i

Last edited by vouvoune; 02-13-2007 at 06:50 AM.