986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   B&M or Schnell Short Shifter (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9431)

porsche986spyder 02-09-2007 12:57 PM

B&M or Schnell Short Shifter

Okay, I'm trying to decide on which one of these shifters is best for my 01 Boxster. I can't decide. They both look like they are good quality. Anyone preffer one over the other? I hate to start a war between companies, especially with the Schnell advertisement looming over in the corner of our web site. But I am leaning more towards the B&M one based on my past experience with my other car. I like the feel and way they "click' into place. Does the Schnell one do this to when shifting? Any feedback would be great. :matchup:

Perfectlap 02-09-2007 01:23 PM

are they manufactured by the same company?
I would give the advertiser Schnell a shot, I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about either.
If youre not satisified I'm sure they will refund your dough.
Always good to support the site and its sponsors.

blue2000s 02-09-2007 01:41 PM

I don't know if the B&M and Schnell have the same fulcrum lengths so I don't know about the shift length and quality. But if you decide on B&M, safe yourself $200 and get the ebay clone instead. It's exactly the same part for $55. In fact, it appears to be axactly the same part as the Porsche 996/986 shift kit too.

porsche986spyder 02-09-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
I don't know if the B&M and Schnell have the same fulcrum lengths so I don't know about the shift length and quality. But if you decide on B&M, safe yourself $200 and get the ebay clone instead. It's exactly the same part for $55. In fact, it appears to be axactly the same part as the Porsche 996/986 shift kit too.

I did that, and now I am regretting it because it did not come with the 2 aluminum bushings that replace the stock plastic ones. They only give you the shifter and no retaining rings, no plastic sleeves that go inside the Aluminum Bushings either. I could use it without the metal bushings, but I figure if I am going to do it, might as well make sure everything is icluded. By the way, I did some research and found out that the B&M is 5% shorter in the throw than the Schnell one. I think that is my deceiding factor. 30% vs. 35%.

ct_boxster 02-09-2007 02:44 PM

Schell is even cheaper than listed - $134

Just picked one up. Read the reviews at epiq autot sport. They review them both. I went with Schell b/c I wanted a little less metalic "snick", "snickey", "snick" when shifting.

P.S. I haven't installed it yet, so take comments with a grain of salt.

Scott S. in Connecticut.

porsche986spyder 02-09-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct_boxster
Just picked one up. Read the reviews at epiq autot sport. They review them both. I went with Schell b/c I wanted a little less metalic "snick", "snickey", "snick" when shifting.

P.S. I haven't installed it yet, so take comments with a grain of salt.

Scott S. in Connecticut.

Thanks. That helps a little more. I like that sound it (B&M) makes. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. :cheers:

djomlas 02-09-2007 03:50 PM

i bought the clone b&m for 40 on ebay. i personally love the way it feels, and how perfectly stiff it is.
im satisfied

porsche986spyder 02-09-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
i bought the clone b&m for 40 on ebay. i personally love the way it feels, and how perfectly stiff it is.
im satisfied

Did it come with the aluminum bushings and plastic sleeves? I ordered that same one and it is just the shifter alone. I went to B&M to download the installation instructions and discovered the e-bay one I bought is missing these parts. I know it will work without them, it seems that it would be better to have the metal bushings instead of the stock plastic ones.

djomlas 02-09-2007 04:28 PM

no everything was included, it even came with the printed B&M instructions, and every single part on the directions was what i had.
no problems at all, i love how it feels

porsche986spyder 02-09-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
no everything was included, it even came with the printed B&M instructions, and every single part on the directions was what i had.
no problems at all, i love how it feels

Thanks for the info. I got ripped off then. Mine was missing allot of stuff. Just came in a small box with NOTHING except for the stick itself. Oh, well. Live and learn.

djomlas 02-09-2007 04:47 PM

yea guess so. did u return it or what?

blue2000s 02-09-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Thanks for the info. I got ripped off then. Mine was missing allot of stuff. Just came in a small box with NOTHING except for the stick itself. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Did the auction say that it came with the bushings? Every one I've seen has all the parts. If so, you should ask for the other parts or get a refund.

Mine came with all the necessary parts, $55, but I replaced the nylon parts with teflon.

blinkwatt 02-09-2007 05:09 PM

Buy the SSK from a2rinc,I bought mine from him and am very satisfied.

blue2000s 02-09-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

I did that, and now I am regretting it because it did not come with the 2 aluminum bushings that replace the stock plastic ones. They only give you the shifter and no retaining rings, no plastic sleeves that go inside the Aluminum Bushings either. I could use it without the metal bushings, but I figure if I am going to do it, might as well make sure everything is icluded. By the way, I did some research and found out that the B&M is 5% shorter in the throw than the Schnell one. I think that is my deceiding factor. 30% vs. 35%.

I'd be surprised if you can feel a 5% difference.

ohioboxster 02-09-2007 05:27 PM

I have the cheap one too and love it. I think yours must have been missing parts.

Adam 02-09-2007 07:04 PM

I have a B&M sans bushings if anybody is interested. I'm probably going to put it on Ebay soon with no reserve.

HIFI 02-17-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s

Anybody have a seller for this clone? I searched ebay and the cheapest I saw was around $100.

HIFI 02-20-2007 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIFI
Anybody have a seller for this clone? I searched ebay and the cheapest I saw was around $100.

Still can't find this clone for $55, anyone have the seller's name and/or link?? THanks!

porsche986spyder 02-20-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIFI
Still can't find this clone for $55, anyone have the seller's name and/or link?? THanks!

I have mine posted on e-bay right now for only $60.00!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220084572839

HIFI 02-20-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

I have mine posted on e-bay right now for only $60.00!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220084572839

Yeah, I actually saw it... but I need the bushings and all accessories, thanks though.