Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #1

Car continues to stay on after key is removed? (key switch problem?)

So I just got to work today (I'm in central PA where it is officially an Ass-Cold -8 degrees in the morning). When I went to get out of my car, the engine stopped, but the car itself never turned off.. The stereo and everything attached to "accessory" line on the key switch stayed on. Has anyone else had this happen to them? It seems to "stick" on more in cold weather, but it normally turns off when I close my door. Today it did not.

Edited to say that this is a 97 986 with 90k miles on it. Forgot to include that, sorry!

Last edited by Wonko The Sane; 02-06-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #2

Sounds like your ignition switch is going/gone bad - very common problem. Easy DIY and about $25 in parts.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #3

Is there any better place to get the switch than at the dealer?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #4

Oh yeah! FleaBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Porsche-Carrerra-996-Boxster-911-Ignition-Switch-OE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQihZ015QQitemZ 250080239550QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The stealership won't sell you just this part. From what I've been told, they tell you to replace a lot more and it costs hundreds of dollars. This is all you need though.

Mine went out at 84k on a 97, although I had different wierd things happening to the car... my AC wouldn't work, then my windshield wipers stopped working, then the windows didn't operate, etc. It was freaky.

BTW, you can jiggle the key and while pushing it in hard and probably get it to still work if you are in a pinch again.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-06-2007 at 06:43 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the link, I've got one on order...

Edit: Wow, that really sucks.. I haven't had anything too crazy happen to me because of it.... yet.. Either way, I hope it doesn't take them too long to get it to me, since they're in CT, it's only a few states over.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Wonko The Sane; 02-06-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Oh yeah! FleaBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Porsche-Carrerra-996-Boxster-911-Ignition-Switch-OE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQihZ015QQitemZ 250080239550QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The stealership won't sell you just this part. From what I've been told, they tell you to replace a lot more and it costs hundreds of dollars. This is all you need though.

Mine went out at 84k on a 97, although I had different wierd things happening to the car... my AC wouldn't work, then my windshield wipers stopped working, then the windows didn't operate, etc. It was freaky.

BTW, you can jiggle the key and while pushing it in hard and probably get it to still work if you are in a pinch again.
After you installed the new switch, does your key need to me jiggled a bit before the key can turn? Mine sometimes needs abit of jiggle to go into the on position and sometime it just turns with ease. Is the new one like rotating a a philips screwdriver through butter?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 AM   #7

After my new one was installed, it turns fine and there's no jiggling or fiddling with it. It may not have been installed correctly, or your new one has broken already.

They are made of cheap plastic and do break. My mechanic keeps a half dozen of them in his toolbox for the inevitable day that every single 996 and 986 customer of his calls and says that mysterious things are happening with their electrical systems.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Ah ok, good stuff. I havent had one installed before but i think i might have to give it a whirl and install it. Is there a DIY writeup on the forum?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #9

CJ, I can't find a writeup, so i'll take some pictures when I do mine.

Randall - KRICKEY! That guy (foreigncarpartsonline) ships fast! I ordered it when you posted the link (10:40), and I just recieved confirmation that it's shipped... That's a two hour turn around time.. Awesome!

Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #10

Here's a link to a write up

Wonko-
Save your write up time for driving. Here's a link to one already done. The part #s may have changed since this was written, but the procedure is the same - EXCEPT you should not need to remove the drivers seat - just contort yourself like hell to get up in there. Good luck!

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Porsche/ignitionswitch.htm

BTW, with the really cold temps and a bad ignition switch, it's a good idea to throw your battery maintainer on the car until you fix the switch.

Here's a one page write up w/ out as much details, but again, good 'nuff (courtesy of Tool Pants on RennTech)

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 02-06-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #11

Thanks Burg... I'll use the time to throw down the top and go for a spi..... . oh, wait, no, it's bloody cold... I'll use the time to sit inside and wish it was warm enough to throw the top down to go for a ride
Old 02-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #12

I have an 02 where I just noticed that the raido stays on for a couple of seconds after the key is withdrawn, then cuts off. I think this is normal. What I think is not noraml is that I can turn the radio back on without the key in the ignition. Any thoughts? I wasn't trying to hijack, the issue is similar as the original poster. Sometimes I too have to jiggle the key once its inserted into the ignition to get it to turn. Should I replace the ignition switch?

jeff

Last edited by jl1252; 02-06-2007 at 10:46 AM.
jl1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #13

the radio can be turned on while the key is out...that is normal.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxter
the radio can be turned on while the key is out...that is normal.

Thanks for replying. That is good to hear. I guess I'll wait till I have other symptoms before I replace the ignition switch.

Jeff
jl1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #15

Wonko, where are you in "Central Pennsylvania"? I'm near State College/Bellefonte.
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #16

Paul,

I live in Bellefonte! Sounds like we'll have to have a P-Car meetup shoot me a PM if you want to meet up somewhere... are you a member of the Porsche Club of America here? I got information when I bought the boxster a few months ago, but I haven't sent in any paperwork yet...

~Aaron
Old 02-07-2007, 02:55 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
tread title

i almost choked when i saw the tread title. " car continues to stay on after key removed" I thought you meant car engine stays on when key removed.

EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:22 AM   #18

yeah, I thought that might be confusing... but I did a lot of searches before I posted the new thread, and I basically try to put all the words I searched for in the title
Old 02-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #19

In PA as well... just had this happen for the first time the other day. Parked in the garage, took the key out, cd kept playing after I closed the door and locked it. Starting and stopping the car again resolved it. The next day the car wouldn't lock from the key button after I got out. Started, stopped, worked fine.

Neither of these issues have repeated themselves.
fishage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 AM   #20

Fishage - That's EXACTLY what happened to me.