Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
JLL

987 purchase advice needed

I'm strongly considering the purchase of a 2007 Boxter S (or 2008 if I end up ordering) and I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with.

1 - I would like to have an aftermarket nav system installed in the car after purchase. Does anyone have recommendations regarding what systems are a good fit for the Boxter? I've been considering the Eclipse and Alpine models.

2 - If I go with an aftermarket stereo, is it worth getting the Bose surround upgrade? I've heard that the Bose speaker systems can be a pain to fit to aftermarket stereos (that is the case with my 350z, at least).

3 - What is the typical lead-time on a Boxter order? I heard 4 months or so for a 2008 S from a local dealer, though that seems a little long.

4 - Does anyone have any comments regarding whether or not PASM is worth the money?

Thanks very much for any help! Having a nice forum like this to go to for advice is definitely a plus for the Boxter,

JLL

JLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
I'm strongly considering the purchase of a 2007 Boxter S (or 2008 if I end up ordering) and I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with.

1 - I would like to have an aftermarket nav system installed in the car after purchase. Does anyone have recommendations regarding what systems are a good fit for the Boxter? I've been considering the Eclipse and Alpine models.

2 - If I go with an aftermarket stereo, is it worth getting the Bose surround upgrade? I've heard that the Bose speaker systems can be a pain to fit to aftermarket stereos (that is the case with my 350z, at least).

3 - What is the typical lead-time on a Boxter order? I heard 4 months or so for a 2008 S from a local dealer, though that seems a little long.

4 - Does anyone have any comments regarding whether or not PASM is worth the money?

Thanks very much for any help! Having a nice forum like this to go to for advice is definitely a plus for the Boxter,

JLL
Hello and welcome; I got my 987 in February.

I can't help you with the nav issue, but it sems like there are few good, cost-effective options for the 987, same seems to apply to the sound systems, unfortunately, and you don't get great value form any of the factory options.

Typical time from order to delivery seems to be about 90 days, which was my experience as well.

Common logic on PASM seems to be that you must have it if you go with 19s to offset the brutal and jittery ride they would otherwise produce, and that you could go either way with the 18s standard on your car, or the 17s fitted to the standard Boxster. I'm rolling on the 17s, and PASM free. Even in NYC, I can live with the 17s w/o PASM.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to hk987
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL

JLL
2) Ive got the BOSE and its great up front but theres not enough base. the stereo is a pain, period. i got a 2" thick 6" reverse-coil subwooder behind the seat, not cocmplaining for USd300.

3) 6-8 months is what i heard, it also depends on colour. new cars are always cool, but its painful if you want to break it in properly.

4) PASM are standard in HK, its pretty good and adaptive if you have slow, bumpy roads on weekdays and then long nice freeways on the weekends. however i have heard some owners have issues in modifying springs or coilovers with the PASM. Porsche used millions on R&D, i dont see why anyone would fiddle with it.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #4

I received my 2007 Boxster S on 30 March 2007 (ordered it the last week of December 2006 - approx 3 months).

My Nav sytem is the Garmin 2720 (now replaced by the 2820). It is a bean bag mounted system that sits on your dash. I prefer it because I can move it from car to car, and when I go on trips, it fits in my suitcase so that I can use it in the rental cars. Updates are downloadable through the Garmin on-line site.

I am not too happy with the Boses stereo system, but then again, I don't listen to it long enough to care.

I have PASM and the Chrono Sports Package. I don't notice the difference on going PASM or non-PASM. I am sure it makes the ride better, but may not be worth the extra cost.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:58 AM   #5

Not to be a smarty, but here you go...

1. Re the GPS, I am not much help. If I don't know where I am going (a rare
condition), I would just get a map. Easy and cheap.

2. Re the Bose? I have it. I am really at this point indifferent about it.
The factory sport exhaust is way better. I would rather listen to that than
the radio, Bose or not.

3. Lead time, 90 - 120 days, depending on availabilty of the options you choose.
No big deal to get what you want.

4. PASM? I thought about this one and elected not to get it. It's too soft in
regular mode, too bouncy in stiff mode. At least for me. The standard with
18's is fine.

5. Sport Chrono? I have it and am on the fence if I would do it again.

6. Sport exhaust? Definitely. No question.

7. PCCB's? Very pricey, likely not needed, but they work well and look great.

8. Auto air? I like it, could do without if price is an issue.

9. Sport seats and steering wheel? I like them and would do them again.
(Manual seats -- not the electric adaptive kind)

10. To sum up, if price is an issue, get the base model, no options at all. It's
a great car, can probably find one on a lot somewhere for $40 - ish. If you
can spring for it, I would recommend the S and equip it just the way you
want, keeping in mind that the fewer electronical stuff is on there, the
fewer problems you may have down the road, so to speak.

11. I hope that helps.

12. All the best.

13. - Mark
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #6

I have a 987 with no PASM, it is on 19's originall equipped with 18's and the ride difference isn't really that much.....I would go on record saying the ride on 19's to me is not a brutal and jittery......please don't get 17's....I don't even think they are an option for an S.....

in terms of the stereo.....its the best one I have had in a convertible yet especially when playing CD's......the radio reception is the only thing that sucks but I think that is more to do with my unit, it will be looked into in 2000 miles....

can't help you with the navi other than to say I wish I had the factory option in my 987....to do it over again....what's anohter couple thousand of debt
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
1JB

I was going to get the Garmin Nuvi aftermarket nav system but ultimately decided not to for 2 reasons. I'm not a fan of nav systems after working with them briefly. They don't give the best directions (they'll send you through the center of NYC to get to Boston from PA for example which is a nightmare) and secondly with the top down it is hard to read and has to be cranked to hear.

As to the sound system beware of mods. From what I've read due to the nature of the Porsche system you can create more problems than you gain from better sound. Any electrical gremlins that arise after new head units are installed may create warranty issues. The Bose Surround system is fine. If you want to have booming base it's no problem. Just remember everyone within 100 yards of the car can hear you with the top down. Also remember that you're in a very confined space with a rag top and engine right behind your seat. A different system may give you more noise but are you hearing better sound in those conditions? I'd stick with the factory system. If you do, get the cd changer in the factory order and save at least $500.

I've got 18's and no PASM. That's the ride I liked and I do not want to deal with the replacement costs of PASM shocks. Opinions on this are divided on whether or not you bought it or not. Those that bought it say it's a must. Those that didn't say it's Porsche hype. The internet lore is now that it's a must if you get 19's. I don't think that's the case with the Boxster. I didn't notice much difference with the ride with 19s frankly but it was only a test drive. For me the Boxster S with 18's was perfect and the fewer gizmos to break the better.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
bmussatti

JLL:

1) I will be getting a Garmin soon. Porsche's Navi system is toooo $$$$

2) I think the Bose is great. Especially playing CD's The Sport Exhaust is better than the Bose!!

3) I waited about 7 months for my car, but this was by my request to avoid a Chicago winter and storage costs

4) I have the 19 inch Carrera Classics...and the ride is great No PASM
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
JLL

Thanks for all the good advice! I think I'll be placing an order in the next few days. Can't wait to "join the club!"

JLL
JLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #10

I just bought a few of the Garmin's for my employees (limo drivers) theyre great because they talk to you and show you a clear pretty big screen and there is no flaws with it. You can get them at walmart for $299 and save $2000 instead of giving it to porsche for their nav.

THe biggest bonus is you can take it in any car you own, and stick it on any windshield (very securely) , most boxster owners have more than just the boxster so this is a big plus for $299 I guarantee you will love it, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it!

It really depends if you want to spend an extra $2000 to have the in dash look, which is very cool, compared to a stick on unit on your windshield.

I have an in dash unit on my lamborghini but it sucks because to be zoomed in on the streets you have to have the DVD Nav disk inserted and when you do that you cant play a CD, only the radio. You can view the nav screen when you have a CD in but its very far away and only shows what city you are in no streets, this is a brand new aftermarket unit that the dealer installed before I got it. Plus I don't think it talks to me, I don't really use it that much because I want to play CDs. I don't know if Porsches unit disables the CD player when using Nav.

I'm going to be leasing an 08 Hummer H2 soon - 400hp , a 6 speed instead of the old 4 speed and , displacement on demand looks to give it 20-30% better gas milage and I'm going to inqure about how much I would actually pay on a nav unit over the course of 3 years (figure out the payment without nav and with) and if its not too much then I may pick that up just to have the in dash setup, cause its a lease and maybe I only end up paying for half the nav price or something.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 06-20-2007 at 11:06 PM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL

JLL

1- Buy a portable model like Nuvi or TomTom
2-Sorry, can't help here. I have the crappy standard stereo but don't care.
3-I ordered an 07' last September and it arrived mid February. I think delivery time is somewhat dependent on the dealer allocation for the particular model.
4-I say save your money. I have 19" Carrera wheels-no PASM, and the ride is just fine....firm but it is what I expect in a sports car.

You will love the Boxster!

2007 Boxster S 6 spd manual,GuardsRed/BlackTop/Sand Full Leather,Sport Design Pkg.,19" Carrera Rims w/color crest,Sport Chrono,Adaptive Sport Seats, WindStop, Smooth Leather Steering Wheel/Center, Aluminum Painted Roll Bar, Porsche Crest in Headrest,Factory Sand Mats
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote