Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
ehD

trunk popper not working?

i have a boxster with a key that has a door lock/unlock button and a trunk popper. i read in the manual u have to hold it for 2 seconds for trunk to open, but i just see that little light on the dash blink like crazy with no reaction from the trunk.

anyone know if this is an easy fix? it's kind of a pain at the crowded grocery store to have to open the door and prevent the cart from rolling off and bend down to pop it.

ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #2

Drop by the dealership and have them check it out. It may just need to be reprogrammed.

Mine did the same thing when I bought it, but one day it miraculously began to work. Has worked ever since.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
ehD

would the dealership charge for that?.. its really not under warranty anymore
Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #4

Some will, some won't. Those that do it for free will do so in hopes that you will come back when you need more serious repairs.

For something that minor, I would guess that it would be a good will freebee.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I would check the following:
  • Hold down button for 5 seconds (also look to see if alarm dash light flashes)
  • If trunk does not open and alarm light flashes, manually open trunk and press again to see if the latch/actuator "pops"
  • If latch does not activate with lid open verify your spoiler works (both use same fuse - D9 I think) Press manual switch for spoiler on fuse box
  • If spoiler works then fuse is good, if not replace fuse.
  • If spoiler/fuse is good, pull out the rear portion of trunk liner next to latch and look towards the left and down of the latch you will see a plastic connector with two connections (single wire is for trunk, double is for spoiler) verify that they are connected.
Now if still does not work then I would contact dealer.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
ehD

Wow Travis thanks for all that info... soooo:

Hold down button for 5 seconds (also look to see if alarm dash light flashes)
Alarm dash light does flash. Nothing else happened.

If trunk does not open and alarm light flashes, manually open trunk and press again to see if the latch/actuator "pops"
Latch does not pop =(

If latch does not activate with lid open verify your spoiler works (both use same fuse - D9 I think) Press manual switch for spoiler on fuse box
Spoiler works.

If spoiler works then fuse is good, if not replace fuse.
Yay fuse works.

If spoiler/fuse is good, pull out the rear portion of trunk liner next to latch and look towards the left and down of the latch you will see a plastic connector with two connections (single wire is for trunk, double is for spoiler) verify that they are connected.
This is where it gets confusing... I took the trunk liner out by unscrewing the latch guard thingy and pulling out 4 plastic screw things that hold down the felt liner. On the bottom left I did see a clear plastic connector with a blue and red wire. And further down I saw two brown wires connected to two brown wires... But yes the connectors are all connected.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
ehD

mckenna porsche in norwalk, ca is charging $135 just to take a look at the trunk popper... another $135 just to turn off the airbag light... i'm starting to feel the dealership pricing pain...
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
mckenna porsche in norwalk, ca is charging $135 just to take a look at the trunk popper... another $135 just to turn off the airbag light... i'm starting to feel the dealership pricing pain...
What year is your Boxster? I had a several month long airbag light issue and finally fixed it for about $5.00. The dealer in no way should get away with $135.00 to reset the light. My dealer has done it twice for free.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
ehD

it's a '99... i need to find a new dealer
Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
it's a '99... i need to find a new dealer
BTW the method I used to get the airbag light to turn off was provided in this Forum. Sprayed the seatbelt buckel receptacles with non-conductive electric contact cleaner and followed with compressed air. Did it acouple times then off to the delaer who reset the light. It's been over two weeks now and no airbag light. Good luck!