986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   7 degrees out but... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9337)

wanna986 02-04-2007 09:12 AM

7 degrees out but...

Is it normal for the power steering to moan and groan when turning the wheel?
It took a 5 mile trip before it was only audible on extreme turns only. Before that, any slight movement would make me cringe.
What's going on? 2002 S

dcporsche99 02-04-2007 10:38 AM

Hi,

No, I don't believe it's normal.

You should try checking your power steering fluid level. It may be that it's just a bit low, but hopefully the line is not clogged and hopefully there nothing wrong with your pump or your power steering rack. Have you had anything done to it lately?? If the rack was recently changed it may have air bubbles that can be dislodged just by opening the reservoir and then dry steering to the extreme right and left a few times. Then, check your fluid level, if it's low then just top it off.

In any case, I would also do a search on the forum site and see what you come up with.

If my memory serves me correctly, the reservoir is located in the engine compartment just behind the intake? towards the rear of the car?...please double check it's location though.

Anyway,I believe the recommended power steering fluid to use is a Pentosin brand. However, I'm sure some of the guys might have comparable or better recommendations. BTW, the reservoir cap has a built in dipstick for either a cold or hot fill unlike some of the other cars that have the markings located on the outside of the reservoir.

Let us know how it goes. I hope this helps! :cheers:

wanna986 02-04-2007 01:24 PM

Thanks for anwering my follow-up question before I asked it "where's the p. steering reservoir?" :o
I will dbl check on its location, although I know for sure it's not in either the front or back storage compartments- that would have been too easy!
I'm not going to risk cracking the rear window to try to get to the engine right now.
Oddly enough,, though, the condition did virtually disappear as the car warmed up.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

dcporsche99 02-04-2007 02:22 PM

...makes sense..., IMHO, I would still check the fluid level when you get the chance...or rather, when the weather gives you a chance to do so. :cheers:

Glad to hear that it may have been just the 'ol temperature outside.

But, that certainly is an interesting thought though,...I wonder what the freezing temperature of power steering fluid is?? Hmmmm??

blue2000s 02-04-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanna986
Is it normal for the power steering to moan and groan when turning the wheel?
It took a 5 mile trip before it was only audible on extreme turns only. Before that, any slight movement would make me cringe.
What's going on? 2002 S

It's usually a sign that the power steering pump is on it's way out if the level is correct.

dcporsche99 02-04-2007 04:12 PM

BTW wanna986, what year is your car? And do you track your car?

husker boxster 02-04-2007 06:54 PM

The pwr strg res is in the front left center of the engine and easily accessible when the engine cover is off. Pentosin is a synthetic fluid, so DO NOT put regular pwr strg fluid in it. I was able to find some Pentosin at O'Reilly's. Pentosin is not cheap - $25/qt (what fluid is cheap in a Porsche?). I'm sure you will get varied opinions on whether it is safe to mix other brands of synthetics with the orig Pentosin. My 01 seems to thirst for a little fluid about once a yr, so chances are you are also low on fluid. I would either park it and wait for warmer weather or check / fill it now if you plan continuing to drive it. It cannot be good to run it when it is low.

Adam 02-04-2007 07:58 PM

The power steering is a sealed system. Which makes me ask what would cause it to go low other than a leak?

wanna986 02-04-2007 08:47 PM

You read my mind, Adam.
In my case, as far as I know, there is no leak. We'll see...

DC- car's a 2002. No tracking.