986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about climate control unit LCD (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9313)

rbellezza 02-02-2007 06:33 PM

Question about climate control unit LCD

Hello everybody !
I just bought a beautiful used 2002 red Boxster S. The car is absolutely awesome and i am very happy with it. I do have a question about the Climate Control Unit.
When I purchased the car i noticed the temperature display ( left side) was missing segments and because of that i got a discount. I thought I would have been able to fix it my self. Wrong, i opened, looking for bad soldering joints, and other breaks but without any luck. The unit works perfectly besides that.
Anyone has any info about this problem ?

djomlas 02-02-2007 06:38 PM

are you talking about like a semi-circle kinda thing on the left side?
i have the same problem...it doesnt really bother me, but it does suck
ive seen some on ebay for for about 150+

rbellezza 02-02-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
are you talking about like a semi-circle kinda thing on the left side?
i have the same problem...it doesnt really bother men, but it does suck
ive seen some on ebay for for about 150+

No, what i am talking about is simply missing segments on the temperature numbers.
Example 76, top 7 segment is missing looking like 16.
Other than that.... it works.

boggtown 02-02-2007 07:17 PM

The leads are accualy those little hooks that go through the circuit board. Try bending them to contact the little metal squares.

wvicary 02-03-2007 12:56 PM

This is a common problem and the only "fix" I know of is to replace the unit.

Franco 02-04-2007 07:21 PM

HI maybe these guys can help u, give them a call. :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AUDI-Electronic-Climate-Control-LCD-Replacement-Kit_W0QQitemZ280077768936QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33545Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cloudsurfer 02-05-2007 06:42 AM

Just replaced mine on my 02 S for exactly the same reason. I'd have a look-see around egay and see if you cant find a nice used one.

Patrick

Tool Pants 02-05-2007 08:06 AM

I have contacted the ebay seller to see if he/she can come up with something for the 986/996, since it uses an Audi a/c display.

Ronzi 02-05-2007 08:27 AM

Super, TP, keep us posted. My LCD is missing the down arrow on the blower display. Dealer quoted me $800 to replace. Needless to say, I have not done so.

Tool Pants 02-05-2007 02:51 PM

Then send me pictures of a defective climate control display.

I sent my pictures to the ebay seller, but they are not very good pictures.

My display is fine so I have to depend on others for the pictures.

SD987 02-05-2007 03:11 PM

After reading these and other posts currently on the board, it seems pretty clear that your climate control display problem is related to global warming.

I've also found an article on the web, authored by a think-tank which was sponsored by a prestigious university, that substantiates this claim. Obviously then, it must be true.

Scientific article

Chills 02-05-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
After reading these and other posts currently on the board, it seems pretty clear that your climate control display problem is related to global warming.

I've also found an article on the web, authored by a think-tank which was sponsored by a prestigious university, that substantiates this claim. Obviously then, it must be true.

Scientific article

ROFLMAO!!!!

rbellezza 02-05-2007 06:22 PM

I checked in to the link you gave me and i have to say that the unit looks like the one same as Audi use it, i may go for it. There is also a company in LA ( Porsche dismanters ) that has some but they aren't cheap, $350 for a used one.
Thanks for the info !!!!!!

Ronzi 02-06-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Then send me pictures of a defective climate control display.

I sent my pictures to the ebay seller, but they are not very good pictures.

My display is fine so I have to depend on others for the pictures.

Tool Pants:
Attached are two pictures showing the display. One is OK and is showing the up arrow. The other shows the display with the down arrow button pushed, but no arrow on the display.