Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #1

Need your guys' sage advice again

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 02 base last Wednesday. It had 35K miles, clean carfax and it looked like it had been seviced regularly and was a one owner vehicle. The dealer was asking $21,995. Called Wednesday night to make my offer and the salesman said sorry, sold it Saturday ( I drove it Friday).

But, they have the exact same car, 2002, same interior, options (not a lot), exterior color, but this one has 49K miles and they are asking $22,995? Plus, the carfax is clean but it has had 5 owners? I like the car but I am worried about the multiple owners and mileage. I will get a PPI and I found a 3 year 36K mile bumper to bumper with wear and tear, seals and gaskets, etc for $1900. Does anything about the above car throw up any flags with you guys?

I am thinking I will go drive it tomorrow and low ball him with a $20,000 offer. Afterall, it is going to be the coldest day of the year.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
bmussatti

5 owners. That's a lot.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
5 owners. That's a lot.
Higher end cars tend to have alot of owners.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #4

any particular reason they want more for the one with more miles?
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #5

I asked the same question and the salesman told me it was because the lower mileage one had probably been on the lot longer.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #6

Would you let five different strangers drive your car unsupervised for a year each?

I didn't think so.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

You live in Chicago. There's probably plenty of Boxsters. Go shopping first.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #8

If nothing else this car has bad Karma with a new owner every year I would say. If you are really intent on buying this car you should go in the dealership in about 2 weeks when the snow is 6 feet high and the temp is 9 below with those frigid Chicago winds blowin about 50 MPH..Make sure you remind the salesman that tax season is here and you wonder how many people are gonna owe. Then offer 18K and walk if you can't get a deal to your liking. There are almost always around 150 Boxsters on Ebay alone at any given time and from what I have heard people listing on auto trader are languishing away to nothingness. According to what I have seen on eBay that car should be selling for less than 20K. My guess is that they had one quick sale with another prospect on the line so they priced it a little on the high end anticipating another quick sale. There are loads of Boxsters coming off leases and you have at least another month before people start thinking convertibles in Chicago. Take your time and remember that they need your money more than you need their car.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #9

I would pass on a car that's been kicked around by 5 previous owners, take your time and shop around and IMHO you'll find a better deal.

Good Luck
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yea man, thers like thousands of boxsters in chicago, go drive it, lowball him, and if they dont bite go testdrive some other ones...thers pleanty of boxsters out here man
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #11

Right time to be buying

and the 49k miles doesn't scare me, nor does the 5 owners. Surprise. Roadsters are owned by people whose circumstances change. I bought 2 Boxsters. First from a lady who was replacing it with a Hummer because she didn't drive it any more and now had 3 kids. Second from a salesperson who needed more room and a more all weather car and who couldn't deal with a set of snow tires for it. This last car was bought from a motivated seller in January when the car was covered with snow and salt! But because it was, I got a bargain. Both cars were 2 owners-before-me cars. Both original owners traded them in during the first year. Both cars have had very very few problems.

My advice is go to craigslist.com for Chicago and watch the adds (none there now in the medium mileage range) . Remember the asking price is at least 10% higher than you should be offering. And make friends with the guy who comes recommended as a future mechanic and who will be doing your pre-purchase inspection.

Other thoughts http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
If nothing else this car has bad Karma with a new owner every year I would say. If you are really intent on buying this car you should go in the dealership in about 2 weeks when the snow is 6 feet high and the temp is 9 below with those frigid Chicago winds blowin about 50 MPH..Make sure you remind the salesman that tax season is here and you wonder how many people are gonna owe. Then offer 18K and walk if you can't get a deal to your liking. There are almost always around 150 Boxsters on Ebay alone at any given time and from what I have heard people listing on auto trader are languishing away to nothingness. According to what I have seen on eBay that car should be selling for less than 20K. My guess is that they had one quick sale with another prospect on the line so they priced it a little on the high end anticipating another quick sale. There are loads of Boxsters coming off leases and you have at least another month before people start thinking convertibles in Chicago. Take your time and remember that they need your money more than you need their car.
Hi,

Multiple owners isn't necessarily something to balk at. You need to investigate. I once bought a car which had 4 registered owners, but was only ever driven by one driver.

An acquaintance leased the car new in Chgo. (lease Co. - registered owner #1). Then the lease Co. was acquired by another (registered owner #2). At the end of the 2 yr. lease, the guy bought the car from the lease Co. (registered owner #3). The guy moved to MN, traded the car in on a new one, dealer had to retitle the car in MN (registered owner #4). I decided to buy his old car from the dealer (registered owner #5), but I was only the 2nd guy to own/drive this car. It made it weird to have to explain this all to the 6th (actually 3rd) owner when I sold it.

So, in multiple ownership, it needs to be investigated to insure that 5 guys didn't actually own the car before jumping to conclusions...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-03-2007 at 05:51 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #13

He probably raised the price because he knows you are in the market and that other one just sold.

Don't bite.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #14

There are MANY MANY boxsters out there. In my price range (around $20k), I found probably 20-30 just on Autotrader. Pay a few bucks for a Carfax unlimited month and carfax them all.

I'd be worried about the car having 5 owners, too. Mine had two, one for the first year on lease, and one for the rest (who didn't keep the car all that clean). The car runs great and everything works, so I can't complain. I got it for a good price, and lucked out - a 2001 with only 40k miles on it!

Look around, there are plenty of used Boxsters to be had.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #15

Shaman,

I did a quick search on Auto Trader and found 3 - 2002 Porsche Boxsters with under 40k miles for $21,995 ( red, yellow, and silver ). All are located at Luxury Motors in Downers Grove. Although I do not care for that dealer, I know djomlas bought his car there and seemed happy with them.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #16

Nickcats, Luxury Motors is where both aformentioned vehicles are located. The salesman I am dealing with is very nice, although when I drove a few of their cars, they brought in the "closer", the high pressure, "what do I hafta do to get you in this car today" person. Ugh. Hate that guy.

1st owner had it for 10K mi and 1 1/2 years in FL
2nd owner, 18K mi and 2 years in FL
3rd ower 4k mi and one year in OK
4th owner 17K mi and 1 1/2 years in PA
5th, sold at auction in PA, new owner reported on 1/22/07 who I assume is the dealer.

Although the carfax says it has been serviced every 10k, it has been kicked around a bit. Well, thanks everyone, my search continues...
Old 02-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Nickcats, Luxury Motors is where both aformentioned vehicles are located. The salesman I am dealing with is very nice, although when I drove a few of their cars, they brought in the "closer", the high pressure, "what do I hafta do to get you in this car today" person. Ugh. Hate that guy.

1st owner had it for 10K mi and 1 1/2 years in FL
2nd owner, 18K mi and 2 years in FL
3rd ower 4k mi and one year in OK
4th owner 17K mi and 1 1/2 years in PA
5th, sold at auction in PA, new owner reported on 1/22/07 who I assume is the dealer.

Although the carfax says it has been serviced every 10k, it has been kicked around a bit. Well, thanks everyone, my search continues...

Hey I forgot to mention that those carfax's they put on their website can be edited, so like Fray said pay a few $$$$ and do your own investigating.
BTW u can also use AUTOCHECK but first see which of the 2 have more records on the VIN# u supply them with before u buy a package.

What a great bunch of GUYS in this Forum

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote