986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driving a Tiptronic (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9290)

MrBoxster 02-02-2007 03:23 AM

Driving a Tiptronic

Is it a good idea to keep it in first gear while driving down slower streets? I know this may sound stupid, but when I drive near the college and I see people I used to goto school with I will switch it into manuel and drive in 1st gear to give the car that sporty sound and feel. I will offten keep it in 1st and accelerate up to 5-6 RPM's. I wont red-line it, but I do use it to give that boost of energy as I am crusing around downtown.

*** I dont want this post to make it sound like I am "that guy" because I am not...I am just new to any sports car and I have no experience driving a manuel.****

Thanks in advance!

z12358 02-02-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoxster
I know this may sound stupid, ...
I dont want this post to make it sound like I am "that guy" because I am not...

You seem to have good intuition. Listen to it. :)
Besides, if someone was "that guy", would you expect him to know that?

Z.

Adam 02-04-2007 08:30 PM

Just be sure to keep the rpm's lower until the engine is up to temp and you should be fine.

racer_d 02-10-2007 05:46 PM

Your Tiptronic is an AUTOmatic, not a manual. Yes, you can control gear selection, but the transmission still has a conventional torque converter instead of a clutch. That said, drive it anyway you want, as long as the water and oil are up to operating temperatures. Enjoy your car, but to me, the "driving by the college I put it in First" does make you sound like "that guy"... ;)

MrBoxster 02-19-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
Your Tiptronic is an AUTOmatic, not a manual. Yes, you can control gear selection, but the transmission still has a conventional torque converter instead of a clutch. That said, drive it anyway you want, as long as the water and oil are up to operating temperatures. Enjoy your car, but to me, the "driving by the college I put it in First" does make you sound like "that guy"... ;)

"Thats one thing I like about college chicks....I get older, they stay the same age."

porscheracer 02-21-2007 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoxster
Is it a good idea to keep it in first gear while driving down slower streets? I know this may sound stupid, but when I drive near the college and I see people I used to goto school with I will switch it into manuel and drive in 1st gear to give the car that sporty sound and feel. I will offten keep it in 1st and accelerate up to 5-6 RPM's. I wont red-line it, but I do use it to give that boost of energy as I am crusing around downtown.

*** I dont want this post to make it sound like I am "that guy" because I am not...I am just new to any sports car and I have no experience driving a manuel.****

Thanks in advance!

If you want a sporty sound get a GHL exhaust and don't drive your car under 4000 rpms unless of course you want to pick up college chicks.