Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #1

Another "what would you pay?" thread...

Okay, I'm looking at this peach tomorrow hopefully... I've blown my budget out of the water, but this one looks to be in great shape and pretty unique.

If the PPI checks out, what do you think this one is worth?

By the way, his reserve was set at $22,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250080672689&rd=1,1

The only thing I am concerned with is the very low miles (seems weird to say that, but with all the "these cars have to be driven" threads, it makes me nervous).

Thanks for any input, I am anxious to hear your thoughts...

HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
bmussatti

Don't know. Sorry.

But, great exterior color and color combination. Love the wheels!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
looks nice, but thats a low mileage 99, so be careful.

funny that i dont like those wheels at all, and my GF walked it while i was clicking on pics and shes like "yukky wheels"

i dont know whats so repelling bout those wheels
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #4

I looked at that car on ebay this week. It has a striking and rare color combination. I'm not sure why DJ doesn't like the wheels. I think they're great looking.

Good luck.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #5

Hi,

With an OK PPI, it's not a terrible buy. It's well into the mileage where RMS typically (but not always) occurs. It appears to have it all, Heated Seats, Windstop, Nav system, Sport Exhaust Tip, TC, Park Assist, Rain Sensors, Xenons w/ washers, colored crests, OBC, Sill covers, the special wheels and rare color combo - it's got it all. This is the one that will appreciate, especially if all these toys are build options and not add-ons...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the input.

dj, I wasn't a big fan of the rims the first time I saw them, but they have grown on me now... I like the aggresive look a lot better than any of the stock 17"s, but not quite as nice looking as Grizzly's.

Jim, glad you think I may be out of the woods for an RMS issue, as engine failure is my biggest worry (won't have much money left in the bank after this!). This will certainly be at the top of my list for the PPI, which I'm hopefully having done today or Monday. I actually wish it didn't have a couple of those options, like a nav system from 1999 and parking sensors (who needs those!?), but if they help retain value, okay by me.

I have negotiated $20,500, which is more than I wanted to spend, but still a tad less than book price, so I think it's fair. I just think I would kick myself if I didn't go for this one, from the condition it's in.

Thanks again.

Last edited by HIFI; 02-16-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
bmussatti

HIFI, get that car...and then do the Tail of the Dragon (TOD) with us the first weekend of May! Good luck.

Are you doing the PPI in Lexington or Cincinnati?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
looks nice, but thats a low mileage 99, so be careful.

funny that i dont like those wheels at all, and my GF walked it while i was clicking on pics and shes like "yukky wheels"

i dont know whats so repelling bout those wheels

Funny... I love those wheels! I'd trade my 18" twists for 'em!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #9

HIFI-
Although it's loaded, price seems a bit high - unless there is some sort of extended warranty (other than 30 days or 30 feet off the property) included. I must say, that is one great color combo. Of course I might be a little impartial (here's my '99 AR/GG/GG)

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
HIFI, get that car...and then do the Tail of the Dragon (TOD) with us the first weekend of May! Good luck.

Are you doing the PPI in Lexington or Cincinnati?

Yes, I am definately considering TOD if I'm able to, sounds like a blast!

I will be doing the PPI here in Lexington at an Indy shop that has been working on Porsche's for over 20 years. There are quite a few 911's in this town (lots of horse money), so I'm confident they have a good reputation.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
HIFI-
Although it's loaded, price seems a bit high - unless there is some sort of extended warranty (other than 30 days or 30 feet off the property) included. I must say, that is one great color combo. Of course I might be a little impartial (here's my '99 AR/GG/GG)

No extended warranty, private seller. Do you think the negotiated $20.5k price is high or his asking $22.5k? Nice car, by the way!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Funny... I love those wheels! I'd trade my 18" twists for 'em!
i dunno man, i dont like the twists either.
i wish mine were the same way ther are but 19s

i DO like these
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIFI
...Jim, glad you think I may be out of the woods for an RMS issue, as engine failure is my biggest worry...
Hi,

Just so there's no misunderstanding, RMS failure can occur at anytime. Not all cars will have it and the majority of those which do (somewhere between 20-30% by all the various polls) seem to have it go between 4k-24k mi. But, there have been several cars which have blown the RMS at higher mileage. Tiptronics are more immune, but not immune totally. One good thing, your car's engine - M96/20 has the original Intermediate Shaft which is more bulletproof than the updated one added later - a very good thing.

Just be aware that these cars are less robust than many other makes out there and can rear up and bite you severely in the wallet with no notice.

Not trying to discourage you, just want to be sure that the Light Acquisition Devices are wide open and not blinded by the sheen of the car. Good Luck!...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
boggtown

I think its too high. Mine was 17,000 with 70,000 miles. I prefer the higher milage because the engine has been good so far, so it rules out a lot of factory defects. Plus, with the 3,500 you would "save" you could put it into mods that suit your taste, not that guys. You could buy the wheels you want, a new nav system, new suspension, and other little stuff if your a good bargain hunter. Ive put 4,000 into my car and its pretty much perfect. It will be even more perfect when I get the side skirts on next week, finally, or at least I better... or else. The difference between a 30,000 mile engine and a 100,000 mile engine is that parts on the 100,000 mile engine may need to be replaced due to wear, but the same goes for letting a 20,000 mile engine sit for 8 years.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Just so there's no misunderstanding, RMS failure can occur at anytime. Not all cars will have it and the majority of those which do (somewhere between 20-30% by all the various polls) seem to have it go between 4k-24k mi. But, there have been several cars which have blown the RMS at higher mileage. Tiptronics are more immune, but not immune totally. One good thing, your car's engine - M96/20 has the original Intermediate Shaft which is more bulletproof than the updated one added later - a very good thing.

Just be aware that these cars are less robust than many other makes out there and can rear up and bite you severely in the wallet with no notice.

Not trying to discourage you, just want to be sure that the Light Acquisition Devices are wide open and not blinded by the sheen of the car. Good Luck!...

Thanks for the clarification, I do understand. I guess there is a risk with these things no matter what year, which really eats at me honestly. I am so not the person who would buy a car with a known problem that is risky... but, dammit, i like these cars so much. And like everyone else here, I've dreamt of owning one since I was a kid. Turning 30 next month, so I blame it on a pre-midlife crisis!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I think its too high. Mine was 17,000 with 70,000 miles. I prefer the higher milage because the engine has been good so far, so it rules out a lot of factory defects. Plus, with the 3,500 you would "save" you could put it into mods that suit your taste, not that guys. You could buy the wheels you want, a new nav system, new suspension, and other little stuff if your a good bargain hunter. Ive put 4,000 into my car and its pretty much perfect. It will be even more perfect when I get the side skirts on next week, finally, or at least I better... or else. The difference between a 30,000 mile engine and a 100,000 mile engine is that parts on the 100,000 mile engine may need to be replaced due to wear, but the same goes for letting a 20,000 mile engine sit for 8 years.

Yeah, I thought of that too... I'm also looking at a 2000 with 55k miles for $18k, which would give me more wiggle room to add rims, etc. However, it was only a 7 or 8 condition-wise and I'm assuming this is a 10 (I'll know soon enough). I will probably pass on it if it's not absolutely perfect, but I'm hoping it is.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Hi,

Sorry, have to disagree. At 20k mi., everything is nicely sorted out. Wear patterns are established and any factory defects would have made themselves known by this mileage. This is especially true of the engine where more exacting tolerances will show up a defective parts in just a few hundred miles.

Of course, any used car can experience problems, but at 20k mi., it won't be due to low mileage. Age may be a factor in dry seals, hoses and other things, but mechanically, if it breaks, you can't blame the mileage. Modern cars have a short infancy and old age, but a much lengthened adolescence. At 20k mi., the car is well into it's stride. I would buy any 986 with 15k mi. or more and not give it a thought. Lower mileage cars will probably cost less over the 1st 5 years of ownership than a higher mileage one and retain a higher resale value in the bargain. Go for the nicest car you can afford. If the miles are relatively low, that's a bonus. Get a PPI, if it passes, never give it another thought...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #18

I usually like to be careful about throwing around the term "garage queen", since my own '99 has only about 34k on it, but I think the one in question certainly qualifies. Old cars with very low mileage can present some issues even though they look immaculate. I don't think a '99 is an "old car" yet, just a used one, and lightly used at that, in this case.

Just remember, you are paying a premium for the low mileage, and the only way to protect your "investment" is to not drive the car, either.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
I usually like to be careful about throwing around the term "garage queen", since my own '99 has only about 34k on it, but I think the one in question certainly qualifies. Old cars with very low mileage can present some issues even though they look immaculate. I don't think a '99 is an "old car" yet, just a used one, and lightly used at that, in this case.

Just remember, you are paying a premium for the low mileage, and the only way to protect your "investment" is to not drive the car, either.
Hi,

I agree, but you also have to look at how the mileage was accumulated. A car driven 3k mi. per year is still regularly driven (albeit lightly so). Another car driven 12k mi., then stored for 6 years and then driven another 12k mi. is likely to have more potential for issues (especially if it was improperly stored). Yet another car, dedicated to DE, Auto-X and Track events will also have a higher potential if the only miles on it are hard, infrequent ones...

Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #20

If you're going to be spending top dollar for a used car, why not check out a certified one from a dealer? Then you won't have to worry as much about the engine problems that may occur.

And as a side note, I hate that "one of a kind" crap in car ads. I'm pretty sure Porsche made other vehicles exactly like that one, so it's not one of a kind.

http://foo21.no-ip.info/boxster/boxster_sig_2.jpg
This isn't the Boxster you're looking for...
kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote