986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Turbo" style spoiler for 986. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9239)

porsche986spyder 01-29-2007 02:44 PM

"Turbo" style spoiler for 986.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...h/IMG_3409.jpg
Has anyone bought one of these for there 986 - Boxster? Sort of resembles the new Cayman spoiler and replaces the stock spoiler completely. I had some problems with mine cracking where the fiberglass was seated onto and bolted up to the hydraulic poles that rise up and down. At first the installation was fine, but I was a little worried because of the lack of material/fiber glass that was used between the surface of the poles and the area that the bolts go into. After a few month I still had no broblems. Then one day after washing and waxing my car by hand like I always do, I noticed it was cracking on both sides. Anyone else have this problem? I really liked this spoiler, but the design and construction of it SUCKS! I had to remove it and lost about $285.00. The cost of it plus the paint. My new picture shows my new fixed spoiler on the trunk deck lid. Just curious if anyone else had this problem, and if they have bought one, buyer beware!

ohioboxster 01-29-2007 03:01 PM

So that one in the pic doesnt go up and down? What are all the trophys in the garage?

Travis 01-29-2007 03:02 PM

IMMHO:

I think all fiberglass parts (diffusers, spoilers, side-skirts, bumpers) are mostly crap, although they are cheaper at the start, by the time you pay to have them fitted correctly and painted you are paying what the polyurethane ones would cost.

And besides that, the fiberglass will not hold up as well.

porsche986spyder 01-29-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioboxster
So that one in the pic doesnt go up and down? What are all the trophys in the garage?

I do allot of car shows and auto cross racing. I have about 9-10 trophies in everything from best of show to fastest lap time in a timed trial.

The spoiler in the picture shown first DOES go up and down, but the FIXED one is shown in the group shot of my car. If you scrole down further, you car see I re-installed the stock spoiler and added a new fixed spoiler on top of the trunk. When the stock spoiler goes up automatically, it lines up with the top of the new spoiler. Sorry I did not take any pictures of it that way. :cool:

David_J 01-29-2007 03:25 PM

I got the same thing this past Christmas and mine is already cracking in the same spots. What a piece of junk. That was money not well spent. I like the looks, but hate the mounting.

I will probably just pull mine off and replace it with the stock one. I think speed is the killer for it.

-David

wanna986 01-29-2007 06:30 PM

Too bad about the quality. It's not bad looking....

986Roadster 01-29-2007 06:34 PM

well this is not good. now you guys have me worried, i'm going to have to check my spoiler for cracks. from what i know it should be in perfect condition.

i've had mine on the car for over 2 years now, and never really looked at the spoiler, it's usually down. when up, i can't seeeeee it.

i'll have to check this out in the morning.

mistasmiff 01-30-2007 08:46 AM

Where did you guys get your spoilers from ?

porsche986spyder 01-30-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_J
I got the same thing this past Christmas and mine is already cracking in the same spots. What a piece of junk. That was money not well spent. I like the looks, but hate the mounting.

I will probably just pull mine off and replace it with the stock one. I think speed is the killer for it.

-David

Like you car picture. Looks cool. I knew I wasn't the only one. Seems like we should make a post to warn people NOT TO BUY IT! I re-installed my factory one too.

pecivil 01-30-2007 11:06 AM

I had on on my car for about 10 months or so, but I finally decided I didn't like how it looked while down. I sold it on ebay, but it had no cracking of any kind?? it was fiberglass as well, but seemed to "weather" perfectly fine.

weird.

mistasmiff 01-31-2007 10:13 AM

I'll ask again, :) where did you guys purchases these cracking spoilers frm ?

porsche986spyder 01-31-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistasmiff
I'll ask again, :) where did you guys purchases these cracking spoilers frm ?

I bought mine from this guy who was selling them on e-bay. Store name is Direct Sales & Design, Inc. There are several other makes out there. Maybe this is the only one that is selling defective ones.

pecivil 01-31-2007 12:30 PM

got mine from the same place.

986Roadster 02-01-2007 07:35 AM

i bought mine from direct also.

i have no cracking, and i really like the way it looks.