986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   24 hr. race (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9202)

Allen K. Littlefield 01-27-2007 10:07 AM

24 hr. race

Getting ready here in the frozen N.E. to watch the start of the Daytona race. Will check in on it off and on for the rest of the day and tomorrow morning. Hope it is warmer down south so they get a good crowd. Since Farnbacher Loles is more or less 'local' (about a 45 min. drive to Danbury CT ) I suppose I will be pulling for that team. Any of you have any favorites out there? Too cold to do any Boxstering today or for the near future. Party ON!

986geezer

larryshomework 01-27-2007 10:56 AM

AJ Almendinger was very aggressive early on - taking the lead early in the 2nd hour.

He will be an interesting addtion to NASCAR this year.

Rodger 01-27-2007 11:00 AM

I'm waiting for Montoya to crash out his teammate. I was going to try to watch 100% of the coverage this year, but I missed the first hour which was broadcast on Fox. :mad:

I love me some racin'! :D

djomlas 01-27-2007 01:41 PM

love to see all those diff porsches :)

Allen K. Littlefield 01-27-2007 04:22 PM

I didn't catch the beginning of the race earlier. I just started to watch on Speedvision at 2:30 pm est. Watched Farnbacher do some agricultural work on one of the ess turns and in traffic no less. Tonight should be interesting when the temp. drops.

986geezer

Ronzi 01-28-2007 08:21 AM

About an hour 15mins left and the Pruett/Montoya car is 10secs in the lead, with Pruett driving. If Pruett can hold his TransAm instincts to drive over or through other cars in check, the prospects look good. This would give Montoya a first-time Indy 500 win and a first-time Daytona 24 win. Who knows, maybe a first-time Daytona 500 win is in the cards, too.
Too bad the Farnbacher cars just got pulled for a persistent oil leak.

MNBoxster 01-28-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronzi
About an hour 15mins left... Too bad the Farnbacher cars just got pulled for a persistent oil leak.

Hi,

It wasn't RMS was it?... ;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

jmabasa 01-28-2007 09:56 AM

I hope a Porsche car wins! :p

wild1poet2 01-28-2007 10:29 AM

They interviewed a driver with a nasty busted blister on his palm from all the gear changes.....

That's a lot of shifts....did I hear correct??? 11,000 gear changes over the course of the race?

kabel 01-28-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnell!
but I missed the first hour which was broadcast on Fox. :mad:

Ditto. I was quite peeved when i started playing the DVR only to find out the first hour was on Fox, wankers.

Saw most of the coverage this year, seemed like few incidents overall compared to previous years. Good entertainment for sure. One of these years I really need to actually attend, it's just over an hour away from home. Go Porsche!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It wasn't RMS was it?...

LOL :D !

racer_d 01-28-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnell!
I'm waiting for Montoya to crash out his teammate. I was going to try to watch 100% of the coverage this year, but I missed the first hour which was broadcast on Fox. :mad:

I love me some racin'! :D

Bummer for you to learn Montoya was on the WINNING overall car eh?

Ronzi 01-29-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

It wasn't RMS was it?... ;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

We should be so lucky. There's nothing like an engine failure in a high-profile race to convince the engineering pukes that they have a problem.

BuffaloBoxster 01-30-2007 05:58 AM

Montoya was perfect all race - not a wheel wrong the whole time. Pruett gave me a couple heart attacks just after he got in the car - he almost got into a few people.

As for Porsche winning in GT (they did), they had 90% of the GT field. I think there were two vettes, two Pontiacs, and three Mazdas.. And about 20 911s.

Perfectlap 01-30-2007 06:12 AM

a very historic race indeed! For a driver to have a major race victory at Indianapolis, Monaco, and now one of the marquee endurance races is a true rarity in motorsports. some Guys try their entire careers to attain even one of those results only to retire without ever achieving it.
I'm sure many race fans will be following closely to see if the guy can take Daytonna and the 24 Hours of Lemans. (very beautiful wife too)...

BuffaloBoxster 01-31-2007 05:16 AM

I believe Mario Andretti is the only driver to have ever won the Daytona 24 hrs, an F1 race, and the Indy 500.

Jacques Villeneuve could become the second driver to win the 500, the F1 World Championship, and LeMans this summer. Graham hill being the other, but Graham doesn't have an Indy Car title to his name.

Rodger 02-01-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
Bummer for you to learn Montoya was on the WINNING overall car eh?

Not at all, I actually like JPM. I've been a fan of his ever since he raced for Chip Ganassi, and I followed his career through Mclaren. I think he made a mistake switching to NASCAR, but whatever.

I was simply referring to what he did at last year's USGP, where he ran into the back of Kimi's car. JPM did quite a good job in the 24!

Perfectlap 02-01-2007 05:30 AM

well his pocket book doesn't think he made a mistake switching from F1 to NASCAR! The F1 ranks are very volatile in the job security department and I'm sure Montoya is not going to miss flying 15 hours to a race that's basically over 10 laps after the green light.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR, I follow European racing quite closely so I wasn't thrilled to hear that we would be losing Montoya but I have to admit I will definitely be following more NASCAR races this season. There are very few drivers that have that effect. Kind of like Deion Sanders switching between Football and baseball and Oscar De Lahoya moving between weight categories.