Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #1

6000 miles and time for new tires

In just over 6000 miles I have managed to burn through the tires I purchased earlier this year. The performance has been getting really bad in the rain. I know I have an aggressive alignment, but still thought I would get more than 6000 miles out of my tires.

I currently have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. I think I may go with something else this time around. The fronts are still doing fine, but the rears are smoother than my MPSC that I use for autocross. I figured I will probably burn through another set of rears by the time the fronts need to be replaced.

Anyone have experience with the Toyo T1R tires on a Boxster? My friend had them on his 996 and they seemed to last him just short of 15k miles.

It looks like I finally get to experience the cost of owning a true sports car. Oh well, I knew I would be replacing them more often than other cars, but 6000 miles is a little sooner than I expected.

Thanks,
David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #2

After some research I went with PS2's. You probably won't see much better life with these but they sure are great for the occasional auto-x and/or spirited street driving.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #3

I was originally going to go with the PS2s, but decided on the Goodyears due to the better rain performance. Since this is Seattle, we do see some rain. I have the MPSC tires for autocross and track events. The Toyos are suppose to be good all around.

Another question would be size

265/30/19 (current)
275/30/19
285/30/19

All sizes will fit on my wheels. I am leaning toward the 275 or the 285 to add a little more meat to the back. Wheel width is 9.5. Anyone have any issues with this on 19s?

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 12-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #4

Hi,

Since you need be concerned with Wet performance, going up to a 285 on the rears might really get the car squirrely in the wet. Bigger contact patch - fewer lbs./in.². It might be acceptable when the tires are new, but a couple thousand miles later and you may regret it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Since you need be concerned with Wet performance, going up to a 285 on the rears might really get the car squirrely in the wet. Bigger contact patch - fewer lbs./in.². It might be acceptable when the tires are new, but a couple thousand miles later and you may regret it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I'm running 285 for my rears on the 18"s and wow does the car feel like the rear can kick out any second in rain,now when you mix heavy wind in you better have your seat belt on.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-28-2006 at 11:31 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #6

If it's rainy really bad, I just hop in one of the other cars. Although, I have got stuck in some major rain storms with the bald tires. Driving on the highway was quite scarry. Nothing like the backend just going back and forth when you are driving straight.

I may just go with the 275s as a compromise. Not too much wider than the 265s.

Thanks,
David

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #7

Tire Rack had the same Goodyears in 265/30/19 on sale for $192 each. I couldn't pass that up.

By the time I burn through these new rears, maybe the fronts will show some sign on wear.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)