Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #1

Won't be doing the 3.8L upgrade :/

Hey guys,

I promised to give you an update on the 3.8L upgrade RUF I was contemplating, but now I've finally made the decision: It's not going to happen. Instead, I'm going to trade my Lambo coupe for a Spyder and possibly look into trading the Boxster for a regular 911 coupe at some point later next year.

It's indeed a little sad. The Boxster is such an awesome car and we've had 8500 fantastic miles together (5500 of which on that perfect 3-week Chicago->West coast and back trip). But it's of course no comparison to roaring away with the top down in a Gallardo Spyder (nor were it meant to be). The sound of that V10 is orgasmic.

I'm going to test drive a possible trade-in candidate tomorrow. Hail the mild Chicago winter!

webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #2

I sure wish I had to make the decisions you are making! Post pics of whatever you park in the garage. We'd love to see it, whatever it is! :dance:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 AM   #3

I'm with Randall.

That is a horrible thing to have to comtemplate and I hate to hear it...

Jeff (green as this guy with envy)
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:03 AM   #4

Tough decision to make there, buddy! If you need someone to test drive either one before buying it, I volunteer myself I will even pay for my own ticket..hahahaha! j/k

Good luck and post some pix of before and after of the car park in the garage
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #5

Good decision. Post pics and impressions if you get a chance.
Z.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #6

I'll alert the media !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #7

Ha! Yeah, I know it's a fairly luxury "problem" to have . I'll post some pictures if I decide to get the car tomorrow.

In the process of deciding what to do, I went on a test drive bonanza yesterday. 2 lambos, 3 ferraris, and even 2 maseratis. One of the Ferraris gave me the scare of my life! It was a 360 CS and they had put it in race mode (= almost zero traction control). I did a full 180 in it!

Thankfully it was on a closed drive-way sort of thing. And to my complete astonishment, I managed to avoid hitting the curb. I was shaking like a leaf after that. Holy f. So if you ever attempt to take a 425hp, rear-wheel driven supercar for a spin, BE SURE YOU GOT ALL THE TRACTION CONTROLS ON!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132
Ha! Yeah, I know it's a fairly luxury "problem" to have . I'll post some pictures if I decide to get the car tomorrow.

In the process of deciding what to do, I went on a test drive bonanza yesterday. 2 lambos, 3 ferraris, and even 2 maseratis. One of the Ferraris gave me the scare of my life! It was a 360 CS and they had put it in race mode (= almost zero traction control). I did a full 180 in it!

Thankfully it was on a closed drive-way sort of thing. And to my complete astonishment, I managed to avoid hitting the curb. I was shaking like a leaf after that. Holy f. So if you ever attempt to take a 425hp, rear-wheel driven supercar for a spin, BE SURE YOU GOT ALL THE TRACTION CONTROLS ON!

Just curious, did you have to drive in with the Lambo to get those test drives or a 987 would have done it? This just gave me some ideas...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
hey man, how bout you give me ride in that Lambo b4 u sell it?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
bmussatti

Webster, has the new Lambo dealership open yet on Ogden Road in Westmont?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Webster, has the new Lambo dealership open yet on Ogden Road in Westmont?
Uh-oh, smells like a big bonus this year.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132

I'm in chicago too....can I have a job where you work please
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #13

> Just curious, did you have to drive in with the Lambo to get those test drives
> or a 987 would have done it? This just gave me some ideas...

A 987 would be fine. I arrived with a friend in his BMW M Coupe for the first few drives. But it helps to book an appointment in advance. And to be honest, I don't think it's a good idea if there's no way you're in the market for one or getting any time soon. But if it's a possibility, by all means go give it a try. Be advised, though, it may be a tough walk back to the Porsche (despite its greatness).

> Webster, has the new Lambo dealership open yet on Ogden Road in Westmont?

Not yet. They're telling me January with a reception in March. So it's still a 40 minute drive to get out there.

> I'm in chicago too....can I have a job where you work please

I doubt most Lambo owners hold a regular job . Pretty much all I've talked to have been business owners.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #14

In Related News....

I won't be dating Charlize Theron in the upcoming year. You may now proceed with your currently viewed thread....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote