Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #1

Cost of maintaining a modern Ferrari

Interesting thread

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133725

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #2

a 5000k service at $1,500 or $4,000??? Either one is ridiculous.... not to mention brakes, belt service, valve adjustment and god forbid a clutch...typically not included.
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #3

$1500 for 5K doesn't sound so bad to me. Five thousand miles in an F430 sound like they would be a heck of allot more fun than the same in a PCAR.

$4,000 was the major service which is probably 15K Miles? And that doesn't sound too bad either considering the car is everyones dream.
There is a factory warranty as well so before you hit any real mileage just keep trading up!

think about it how many people here and on the 911 boards sign up to "eat" more than $30,000 of depreciation on their Pcars in a four year period.
If you are going to be "o.k." with that then coughing up $4,000-$6,000 for operation a prancing horse doesn't seem so outrageous to me.

the non-track driving Ferrari owners I know say the improvement in reliability in the last 7 years is truly amazing. I guess all those F1 dollars are indeed trickling down to the road cars.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-27-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
think about it how many people here and on the 911 boards sign up to "eat" more than $30,000 of depreciation on their Pcars in a four year period.
If you are going to be "o.k." with that then coughing up $4,000-$6,000 for operation a prancing horse doesn't seem so outrageous to me.
I hear ya, but doesn't the story change if you drive your car every day?

I recognize that not all Pcar owners do, but I always thought of our cars as high-end production DDs while a Ferrari is more of an exotic for weekend and track activities. What is going to happen to your maintenance costs if you put 15k miles per year on the clock of the Ferrari fighting traffic?

I think we are talking about apples and oranges here.

I know there are plenty of people who only drive 911s on Sunday and treat them like they are priceless artifacts, but that doesn't put the car in the same league as a Ferrari for ownership comparative purposes. I also know guys who do the same thing with Mustangs.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #5

very true.
If I could drive a Ferrari every day to the Starbucks and Costco boy that would be something! And if I could afford to do so I would in a heart beat.

But generaly speaking I think most Pcar owners do not drive their cars every day.
of course I have absolutely no data to back this up.
Assuming I'm correct most Pcar owners and Porsche owner are still not in the same ball park because Ferraris are usually sold to second and third owners with very very low miles. But so are tons of Porsches.

If this is going to be just a toy you sell every two years I don't think I see a heck of big difference between owning a $90K Porsche or a modern Ferrari.
Both are money pits just one gets 1000% more excitement from the driver and onlookers.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
very true.
If I could drive a Ferrari every day to the Starbucks and Costco boy that would be something! And if I could afford to do so I would in a heart beat.

But generaly speaking I think most Pcar owners do not drive their cars every day.
Assuming I'm correct most Pcar owners and Porsche owner are still not in the same ball park because Ferraris are usually sold to second and third owners with very very low miles. But so are tons of Porsches.

If this is going to be just a toy you sell every two years I don't think I see a heck of big difference between owning a $90K Porsche or a modern Ferrari.
Both are money pits just one gets 1000% more excitement from the driver and onlookers.
See it's crap like that that will allow me to talk myself into buying a Ferrari! Maybe I should give up on the Box and buy an Accord for M-Thurs and a Testarossa for Fri-Sun. My wife will love this idea...

Old 12-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #7

do it!! just tell your wife Perfectlap said it was ok.

here's a cream puff. All you have to do is take out a 2nd mortgage on the house, no biggie. Any RATIONAL and SYMPATHETIC woman would totally agree.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Ferrari-F430-Coupe-F1-Loaded-L-K_W0QQitemZ110072268193QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6212QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

yikes these things are expensive! $500 a mile???

assuming that F1 F430 sells for $200K and you financed it over SEVEN years your monthly payments would be a mere $2400 a month.
Which makes the $1500 5K service bill all that more of a bargain. Peanuts...

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-27-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #8

Nice! There is even a button that says "get low monthly payments."

Old 12-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #9

This whole thing only convinces me that a 2nd hand 911 Turbo really is an amazing bargain. You can park that thing next to any Ferrari (well maybe not the Enzo) and no one would laugh at you. And at the track no one is going to laugh at you lap times either.

These Porsche dudes in Germany may be real arrogant SOB's but they know what they are doing and have the numbers to back it up.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #10

I have been working under the assumption I will pull the trigger on a 911 in a couple of years but a used ferrari has to be a consideration. Those maintenance costs don't seem that horrible to me. My Boxster is not a daily driver and my next sports car won't be either.

Like I mentioned in the earlier post a mid 90's F355 can be had for $70-$80k. Can't even get into a well optioned 911 for that (new). Even most used 997's are over that range. Something to consider.

911 or F355? Hmmm

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #11

Guys, a typical clutch is in the $7000 range. So no burn outs OK?

The craziest cost that I have seen, and seems to be substantiated is the cost to replace the auto transmission in a 456 GTA.

The transmission is about $75,000. That's right, $75 biggies, more than half the price of the cars currently. ($60k for the part, 15k for labor.)

And the crazy part is it apparently is some variation of a GM transmission.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136023992#post136023992
UroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #12

Ok, Perfectlap, you got me thinkin'

I found 4 1995 F355 Berlinetta's ( 380 hp ) and 3 1995 348 Spider's ( 300 hp ) on AutoTrader with 18k ( low ) to 44k ( high ) miles all for under $60k !

I love my Boxster, and it is my primary daily driver, but I have to wonder if those that have a new 987S as a weekend "toy" ever considered a used Ferrari as an option ?

I know if I had $60k to throw at a car ( hopefully in 4 more years ) I sure as hell would !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
FIG

Roughly what we pay

F355 (non spyder) 38000KM - AUS$160,000 (US$120K)

911 (997 Carrera Coupe) 5000KM - AUS$214,000 (US$160K)

Hard to pick
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:44 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I know a guy who buys his cars(Porsches and Ferraris) after they have had major maintainence done and sell them before the next major service interval is due just because of the cost.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-28-2006 at 12:56 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 AM   #15

Interesting thread.

You guys should read a book called, "Collecting Ferrari" by Kieth Martin. It is basically a compilation of articles regarding the joys and perils of owning a Ferrari, all years and models.

After careful consideration (IMHO), anything older than say a 355 is a huge risk. For example, a Testarossa from the late 80's, where they have to actually pull the engine out to do a major service, that will cost $7500. That's insane. Plus from a performance perspective, you can get a used 911 Trubo from early 2000's that will eat the Testarossa alive in the performance department.

If I were buying a Ferrari, and some day I might, I want the performance AND the wow factor. I think I'll wait till the 360 modenas come down in price. They're still in the 120K to 160K range depending on mileage, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this site and can engage in these types of discussions with car dudes
YellowPorscheMan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #16

Quote:

I wonder if this is true? My Box is a daily driver and I don't know why other people don't use there car as a daily driver (except for the obvious fact of kids, etc). It gets great gas mileage, is comfortable, looks good and is fun to drive. I don't care about racking up the mileage because I bought the car to drive...not to sit in the garage trying to "protect" my investment (worst investment in the world).

My rule for any car I will buy is it has to be a daily driver.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I only drive for leisure and on weekends so can't speak for people who have to drive to work during the week, but I can see how one could have a different car for a different purpose and conditions. There are plenty of congested metro areas with bad roads, hellish commutes in stop-and-go traffic. I don't think it's a matter of mileage or wear and tear, it just plain doesn't make sense to be driving a high-performance roadster (with a stick shift, no less) in such conditions. Moreover, it makes sense to associate the roadster with fun and joy (like a twisty road on a weekend) and disassociate it from stress, congestion, and hurry. It's a different feeling when you sit in your joy car for your joy ride, and not in the same seat in which you cursed and sweated just yesterday while stuck in traffic on your way home from work.

So I don't think this is a matter of some people being obsessively concerned about their cars, while others (daily drivers) not. My guess is that if most people here lived in an idylic country setting, driving to work on beautiful, uncongested, country roads, they would indeed use their roadsters as daily drivers.

Finally, why ever impose such "image" rules on yourself?

Z.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #18

Quote:
I wonder if this is true? My Box is a daily driver and I don't know why other people don't use there car as a daily driver (except for the obvious fact of kids, etc). It gets great gas mileage, is comfortable, looks good and is fun to drive. I don't care about racking up the mileage because I bought the car to drive...not to sit in the garage trying to "protect" my investment (worst investment in the world).

Yep, I'm with you. This car is performance art, not sculpture.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
I only drive for leisure and on weekends so can't speak for people who have to drive to work during the week, but I can see how one could have a different car for a different purpose and conditions. There are plenty of congested metro areas with bad roads, hellish commutes in stop-and-go traffic. I don't think it's a matter of mileage or wear and tear, it just plain doesn't make sense to be driving a high-performance roadster (with a stick shift, no less) in such conditions. Moreover, it makes sense to associate the roadster with fun and joy (like a twisty road on a weekend) and disassociate it from stress, congestion, and hurry. It's a different feeling when you sit in your joy car for your joy ride, and not in the same seat in which you cursed and sweated just yesterday while stuck in traffic on your way home from work.
Z.
I understand what you are saying, but the other side of it is, when I have a long and stressful day at work at a client location, often the best part of my day is that commute in my Boxster. I am always looking for twisty backroads that, although may lengthen my trip to and from work, I can fit some “me” time in there during an otherwise potentially boring task of commuting. I can’t count how many nights I have shuffled out of an office building completely drained, only to have a big smile put on my face when I see my car.

When I first got the Box, I kept another car for DD purposes – nice car, an Acura CL Type S, but every day when I was driving it, I wished I was in the Porsche. So I wound up just selling it.

I hear you about the inner-city driving. I certainly don’t live in an idyllic country setting, but if I have to go to Manhattan, I take the train, but otherwise, Jersey, upstate New York, Long Island, I’m taking my car, and I am enjoying it – every day.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #20

Quote:

Well spoken. Here here!! Another reason why we didnt "box" the Boxster up for winter here. Drove it 80 miles yesterday. No snow for the past few weeks. Had the top down in 40 degree weather last week. :dance:

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote