Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #1

I should have thought of this earlier!!!!

Ok,

So I was sitting here listening to the wind howl and wishing it was 75 and I had thought. I was reading some of the posts where people ask the forum members if they got a "good deal". I related that to how I found my Porsche as well as some of the comments I received when I asked this question.

I think we should start a challenge thread for prospective buyers. It would work like this; The buyer would post the criteria of the Boxster they are looking for to include price, color, year, options etc. Those of us around the country could comb all of our local ads and post the information or post the best deal they have found nationally (First post is the only one that counts). The buyer, with the help of the members research could down select to a final few Boxsters. The members who suggestions where selected could help the prospective buyer to finalize a decision. Once the buyer makes a decision and a sale is finalized, he could kick back a small prize for the member who found the chosen vehicle. The member in the local area could also assist with a pick-up at the airport and a ride if needed. Obviously a couple things need to be present in order for this to work, primarily integrity as well as a willingness for the buyer to travel.

If I had thought of this sooner and it saved me a couple grand, I would have been willing to payout a couple of hundred dollars to the finder. I don't know anyone who wouldn't like to receive a good deal on a car. I also know I would spend some time looking at the local ads for forum members if it meant I could potentially save some money on my next tire purchase.

Opinions?

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #2

Great idea! I for one certainly could have used the help. Just so long as the buyer understands the finder has no liability if something does not work out with the selected Boxster.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think its a good idea....but then again how long does it take a buyer to put any distance in autotrader search....

but this is a good idea, but when people start posting ads all over the place, there is a chance that someone else can just purchase that same car and the original potential buyer will be left without that one, so maybe just PM the buyer links?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
Ok,

So I was sitting here listening to the wind howl and wishing it was 75 :
It's definitely not Boxster weather today. We're at about 8-9 inches in Loveland.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Just so long as the buyer understands the finder has no liability if something does not work out with the selected Boxster.
That's the problem with the idea. People who don't take responsibility for themselves always will look for someone to blame, and that's probably a pretty good chunk of people.

Now if we set up a list of professional places to get the cars inspected instead, the interested buyer could search autotrader and cars.com nation wide, contact the seller, and have them have the car inspected locally before purchase. Then there's no liability to worry about.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #6

i think that it would be a disaster. if i find you a car, and tell you how its such a great deal and i post it up here. do you know how many people will have there opinions about that car. it would be a mess. making it an even harder decision for the buyer. lets just talk about the boxster here, don't know why we need to be selling the car to other people. i'd be jealous all day, looking at all these great deals, and why i spent a fortune on mine.

won't work!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It's definitely not Boxster weather today. We're at about 8-9 inches in Loveland.
Sweet! I'll be in Dillon the 26th - 1st, albeit in a Taurus rental. Looking forward to some good downhill and cross country ski conditions.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #8

sounds like you have the acorns of a plan. Allot of people do this on Rennlist for the 911's free of charge. Build a website, recruit members and re-post adds from auction and used car sites and you could be onto something.
Everyone thought everything that could be invented for the internet had been invented by 1999. And then came YouTube, MySpace and Google making the point that everything can be improved with the right execution.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Sweet! I'll be in Dillon the 26th - 1st, albeit in a Taurus rental. Looking forward to some good downhill and cross country ski conditions.
The mountains aren't getting much of this storm, it's mostly in the front range and foothills. But the high country is supposed to get more this weekend. You should have some extra powder by the 26th.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Two hrs for a 30-minute trip back from DIA, and we have 12 hrs of this blizzard left to go. The folks I was supposed to pick up got turned around 15 minutes out of Denver and sent back where they came from (LA). Then I got stuck 100 ft from my house and spent a hour digging out.
I love winter.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Two hrs for a 30-minute trip back from DIA, and we have 12 hrs of this blizzard left to go. The folks I was supposed to pick up got turned around 15 minutes out of Denver and sent back where they came from (LA). Then I got stuck 100 ft from my house and spent a hour digging out.
I love winter.
I think we're up to about 10-12" now. I've shoveled the driveway three times now just trying to keep is up.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #12

I see there are some detractor's which all have valid points. I on the other hand try and look at it a little more optimistically. Whenever someone asks the forum members if they "got a good deal" or "is this a good deal", there seems to be a plethora of folks who say, "you payed to much". I figured why not put all that expertise to use and help someone find a good car while maybe earning a couple dollars for yerself?

Seems like a win win to me, and for those nay sayers, it's only a thread so it shouldn't take up to much space on the board. In fact avoid it all together, which might increase my chance of a win! Now we just need a willing buyer....

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote