986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Exhaust Bypass Valves (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8684)

djomlas 12-24-2006 06:34 PM

if i heard that on the street porsche wold b the last thing i would think of.

btw man, car looks great...an way to make those tails a little more shiny?

boggtown 12-24-2006 08:32 PM

The cars pretty dirty so thats probably why the tail lights arnt shiny. For some reason they are a dust magnet. I was thinking of getting them clear coated sometime but its not bothering me enough to get it done, lol. I think it still retains a Porsche sound at the higher RPMs like when I take off at the 1 minute mark. I think that was at 1/8th open. The first take off was half or full open.

I did that little rev when my friend walked around the car to gauge what level of opening I was at (you can tell it was pretty quiet), so I opened it to 1/8th. Thats definately my favorite setting.

blinkwatt 12-24-2006 08:51 PM

@ boggtown,

Did you notice any difference good or bad in the car's power after opening up the valves?

boggtown 12-24-2006 09:20 PM

My low end is a little softer when open, but the top end feels stout and healthy. Ive been able to start in closed mode and hold the switch enough to open her up to 1/4 as I accelerate. That way I get a good start off the line and from then on I am above 3-4 grand so I get the extra power thats available. I put the button right on the batwing so I can hold my button and have my hand on the shifter at the same time. A short shift helps too, lol.

boggtown 12-25-2006 09:18 PM

I used my Gtech to do a quarter mile with the valves 1/8th open. I will do a half open,full open, and completely closed tomorrow.

Heres an inside video. 1/8th open http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bPO868KT_M

yfz/700R 12-26-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggtown
I used my Gtech to do a quarter mile with the valves 1/8th open. I will do a half open,full open, and completely closed tomorrow.

Heres an inside video. 1/8th open http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bPO868KT_M

i was just curious what your top speed in 2nd gear was and if you usually rev it out like that when the engine is still cold?

boggtown 12-26-2006 09:07 PM

Ha, no. Definately not. That was a one time thing, The car had been warm earlier and it had just gone down. It was my only chance to get a quick video so I did. With the valves open I went to 60 in 2nd I think, it helps power at the top so I go to redline (when my gtech flashes at 6400 rpms). And I went to 90 in 3rd and then went into 4th. Or something like that. I will do some more runs later.

Boxter 12-27-2006 06:09 AM

I think that last pass sounded fantastic....assuming you can close it off when you want like you planned.

When you close it off, does it truly go back to stock?

boggtown 12-27-2006 11:51 AM

Yes, it goes back to stock 100%. No rattles, no whinning, no sound but the stock muffler. Most of the older or manual valves dont close all the way or rattle, but these are really good.

Boxter 12-27-2006 12:37 PM

Cudos to you...It's a good thing you did not second guess yourself and nix the idea.
Enjoy!

wanna986 12-27-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

I will do some more runs later.

You're having too much fun boggtown.
More "power" to ya! :cheers:

xclusivecar 01-09-2007 03:40 PM

Boggtown--
It's been a few weeks now...whats your opinion of the mod in whole??? :cheers:

boggtown 01-09-2007 05:26 PM

Well, Id say as a whole its the most bang for the buck ive gotten out of my Boxster. Everything is expensive as heck but this provided great results for about $300. Its completely reversible (sound wise), its gotten about every single car to try and race me when I pull out of anywhere lol (not trying to pull out fast, but regular driving, this ranges from big trucks, to sports cars, to muscle cars), its gotten way more people turning their heads (regularly they wouldn't notice but now they are listening for a race car and seeing me zoom by), and I haven't run into any troubles. Ive got my car back at school so I only get to drive for a little bit around the plaza on the weekends. Hopefully I will be showing up some Ferraris and AMGs, lol.

Adam 01-09-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Hopefully I will be showing up some Ferraris and AMGs, lol.

LOL....that was rich.

boggtown 01-15-2007 03:53 PM

Just wanted to make a note for everyone. If you buy the bypass valves, add about a foot of wire to one of the cables. This will go on the driver side and will help a wholeeeeeeee bunch.

djomlas 01-15-2007 04:08 PM

attention ha? i think i need more of that...hehehe

boggtown 01-23-2007 12:53 PM

Well, I was gonna get the car dynoed tomorrow at imagine auto but they re-painted their dyno today so they had to cancell my appointment. I will reschedule for next week or something, just letting you all know I havent forgotten.

Gary in BR 11-26-2007 08:25 PM

I guess we dont know have a dyno for this thread??

Did this ever get updated??

Bogg come back!!!