Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #1

Engine Replaced, RMS Question

Is the new RMS supposed to be pretty robust and more immune from failing? I just found out today my engine was rebuilt/replaced two years ago at 33k miles. There's 20k on the new engine, and I've had no hint of RMS issues, but I'm curious when they switched to the newer (Cayenne?) seals how much they were supposed to help.

BTW, I do not know why the engine was replaced, looking thru warranty issues the original RMS was replaced on the original engine with 10k on the car, and the only other hint is the electrical fan died shortly before the engine did at 30k (so maybe overheating killed it?).

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The newer styled seals are supposed to work alot better then the originals,but who knows only time will tell.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Is the new RMS supposed to be pretty robust and more immune from failing? I just found out today my engine was rebuilt/replaced two years ago at 33k miles. There's 20k on the new engine, and I've had no hint of RMS issues, but I'm curious when they switched to the newer (Cayenne?) seals how much they were supposed to help.

BTW, I do not know why the engine was replaced, looking thru warranty issues the original RMS was replaced on the original engine with 10k on the car, and the only other hint is the electrical fan died shortly before the engine did at 30k (so maybe overheating killed it?).

-David
The last RMS seal revision was 10/05, I believe. There doesn't seem to be enough data yet to say if this is a fix to the problem but I have read of a couple of later model cars (05-06) with an RMS leak.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The last RMS seal revision was 10/05, I believe. There doesn't seem to be enough data yet to say if this is a fix to the problem but I have read of a couple of later model cars (05-06) with an RMS leak.

Just wondering, How did you get a hold of your car's specific service history?
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #5

"Just wondering, How did you get a hold of your car's specific service history?"

Originally posted by spine911

I was in the service shop today going over and making sure there weren't any final warranty covered repairs to do before I let my CPO lapse on 12/26. I asked to get a printout of all the repairs that the dealership had, he was able to get service history from all porsche dealerships when it came to repairs done under warranty.

Found out RMS was repaired at 10k, gas cap at 15k, halogen lamps at 20k (these are warranty?), fan at 30k, and engine replaced at 32k.

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
kls

I had a similar issue. I bought my '04 2.7 with 23K miles on it and assumed it was fine. The owner had died, and his wife was selling it. I later found out that the engine was replaced at 10K. (Might be wise to review the service records BEFORE buying the car?) It is under warranty until 9/07 so my theory is I'll put some miles on it hoping any RMS problem will surface before the warranty expires.

kls is offline   Reply With Quote