Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #1

Annoying Cockpit Squeak

I could really use your suggestions how to isolate, and hopefully fix, a very annoying cockpit squeak. The squeak is coming from above/behind the passenger seat. It sounds like the seat back is rubbing against the roll bar, but it's not. The roll bar does not seem to be loose, and I can't see anything that is obviously causing the problem. It is constant except on the smoothest roads, and driving me nuts. My only thought is that it is in the frame of the soft top. Ideas?

PDX-986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
boggtown

Move the seat up a little. Mine does that when I move it too far back. Just about an inch forward and its gone.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #3

sure its not the seat belt receptacle squeeking while rubbing against the side of the seat?
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #4

I had the same annoying squeak from the passenger seat. Now, I leave her home.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 12-18-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
LMAO!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
grizz...you better hope that she won't read this comment..hehehehehe!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:26 PM   #7

Do you have a wind screen?

- C5150
Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
1JB

Well it could be any number of things of course. As I've posted before I had a chirp or squeaking noise that seemed to be coming from behind the passenger seat but it turned out to be the right rear strut. I've also had a rattle like noise coming from just behind the drivers area by the window and the same area on the passenger side with the top up. The dealer fixed the one on the passenger side by lubricating a flap and some of the soft top components but not the drivers side. I've gotten the drivers side to become fainter and almost go away by lubricating the plastic pieces that form between the window and soft top and the flap inside the soft top. If you don't hear it with the top down, open the top about a third of the way so it is loose enough that you can see inside it with a flashlight. You'll see a flap about 3" x 4" that seems to keep some parts from rubbing on the plastic components near the window. Use some pure silicone to lubricate that a bit and the plastic parts as well. Don't get any on the soft op inside or out though. Look out for any excess anywhere. If that doesn't work and if you hear it with the top down it may be something in the suspension, a loose intake vent, etc. My wife thinks I should be committed when it comes to squeaks and rattles. ROFL about the post on it going away when she no longer rode in the passenger seat.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. It's not the seat. I don't think it's the seat belt receptacle, as it happens whether or not the seat belt is fastened, but I could be wrong. I do have a windscreen, but it happens whether or not the windscreen is in place. I'll give the other suggestions a try.
PDX-986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #10

........try one simple thing (before you dismiss it...)

Cut a piece of duct tape about 2" long x 3/16th's wide. Open the door and wrap it around the outer aspect of the hook that the door latch attaches to. Close door - drive.

I had this annoying G-D rattle/squeak on my 01-S that came from "somewhere" from the middle of the driver's door/aft. It drove me nuts, because it was the only rattle/squeak in the whole car! It's gone.

If you need a pic...

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #11

I saw the same problem/fix a LONG time ago (over 2 years) on a website. After a bit of searching all I could find was this:

link

This at least points out the problem and offers a temporary solution. The solution I saw a while back actually fixes it. Perhaps with a bit of luck, I will bump into it again.
sobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #12

I have one from the same area as well. Does yours do it constantly? Mine comes and goes, where I get mine the most is on the interstate around 75 - 78 mph.

SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote