Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #1

$1,200 for 15,000 mile service!?! gasp!!!

Ok, I knew when I bought this car it wasn't a Honda but $1,200 seems a bit out of line. This includes a brake fluid flush, which I suspect I could do myself.

I was planning on selling this car after I had it services but I think I need to find an alternative.

I live in Stamford, CT.

Please help,

Louis

Mathelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hi Mathelo, I think you should call around. There are 5 P-dealers in your great state of CT:

http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/cgi-bin/locator_us_CI.cgi

If you find a better price, maybe you can go there, or ask your current dealership to "price match".
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #3

Bmussatti is right. That would be my last trip to that dealer.

My 15k service was $531 including a brake flush in Cary, NC. Same quote from dealer in Greensboro, which is where I bought the car.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the advise. I called around and got an amazing spread in price going as low as $500.00 (if I'm prepared to drive 60 miles).

I'm starting to wonder if this is all worth it given that I'm selling this car. Any thoughts on this? I could probably do most of the service myself including changing the $85.00 pollen filter!!!!

Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi Mathelo, I think you should call around. There are 5 P-dealers in your great state of CT:

http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/cgi-bin/locator_us_CI.cgi

If you find a better price, maybe you can go there, or ask your current dealership to "price match".
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo
Thanks for the advise. I called around and got an amazing spread in price going as low as $500.00 (if I'm prepared to drive 60 miles).

I'm starting to wonder if this is all worth it given that I'm selling this car. Any thoughts on this? I could probably do most of the service myself including changing the $85.00 pollen filter!!!!

Louis
I think the future buyer would want to know that the car was properly serviced and maintained. So, the $500 is a good investment (having your maintance book stamped for the 15K service). The other option is to discount the price of the car by a like amount, and let the future buyer know the service is due, and you have taken this into account in your pricing and value proposition.

Did you get the damage repaired from the deer?

Hey, I just saved you $700!! Can we split it!!

Last edited by bmussatti; 12-18-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well if you will be selling the car within this month then dont do the service, but if you will be selling it around next year about this time then do it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #7

Bmussatti nailed it as usual. I'd want the warranty book stamped for my record and for future sales/owners. If you are about to sell you could service in conjunction with PPI.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Louis
I know ! When I needed the 30k service I called around and this is what I found :

Dealer 1 $850
Dealer 2 $1499
Dealer 3 $1140
Dealer 4 $920
Dealer 5 $1000
Dealer 6 $672
Dealer 7 $1200

Needless to say, dealer 6 got my business, but of course they were the farthest away

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think the future buyer would want to know that the car was properly serviced and maintained. So, the $500 is a good investment (having your maintance book stamped for the 15K service). The other option is to discount the price of the car by a like amount, and let the future buyer know the service is due, and you have taken this into account in your pricing and value proposition.

Did you get the damage repaired from the deer?

Hey, I just saved you $700!! Can we split it!!
I think I'll get the service done and find the best price just to get the service book stamped.

The damage from the deer has been fixed. Actually looks better than before because some minor scratches got cleaned up in the process. Damage wasn't really all that bad but required a new bumper, headlight, and front right quarter panel needed to be bumped out a bit. Even being minor this was pretty expensive. Thank God for insurance.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Bmussatti nailed it as usual. I'd want the warranty book stamped for my record and for future sales/owners. If you are about to sell you could service in conjunction with PPI.
Hi,

The only value to having the Book stamped would be if he could get a price greater than the cost of the Service than if doing the work himself and showing the reciepts. It may (read might - though I doubt it) make the car sell quicker. But, that's a little unprovable unless the Seller specifically marks up the asking price accordingly.

On a car which has had collision damage (assuming the Seller is forthcoming on this), a Dealer Stamp is going to be much less of a priority than the quality of the collision repair work to a Buyer.

It's just not Rocket Science. The 30k mi. Service is something any competent D.I.Y. mechanic can do very easily. Porsche charges an exorbitant amount of money for a Service that consists 75% of visual inspections.

An astute Buyer won't trust a previous inspection and will still have a PPI done negating the value of a Dealer's inspection. This visual inspection only has value if you're keeping the car because it means you don't have to do the visual inspection, or perhaps their eye is better trained (doubtful in a lot of cases - the visual inspection is simply emphasized to justify the price of the Service - every competent mechanic I ever knew included a comprehensive visual inspection whenever they undertook any work on the car anyway.)...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-19-2006 at 06:56 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #11

$1200 sounds high. My one and only dealer in Louisville charges $400 for service 2 and $600 for service 3. I'd drive the extra distance for the $500 service.

brian
sparky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #12

So does anyone here have a checklist of what the dealer does at 15,000 miles?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #13

I just got the exact same quote from my dealer. 1200$ for 15k mile service. I am in the same position as you!

That is in Charlotte, North Carolina, anyone that knows any dealers nearby that could do it for less?

Thanks in advance!
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #14
Ray

If you have your owner's manuals then page 4/5 of my mine show what Porsche expects; which I conclude to mean their dealers are required to do this service. If not, private message me and I'll scan my pages for you in .jpg format.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #15

Quote:
So does anyone here have a checklist of what the dealer does at 15,000 miles?
Hi,

PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote