Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
boggtown

Bought Sideskirts, Whats the best way to put them on?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250053778037&rd=1&rd=1

I just bought those, What do you think? Also, from what ive heard, you screw them on from the bottom and use adhesive tape for the sides, is that it? Is there any better way?

Old 11-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The OEM GT3 polyurethane skirts are attached using a combination of screws, clips, and double sided emblem tape. I suspect you could do the same with your installation. I wouldn't just use the double sided tape alone because as tape becomes undone over time, you don't want the skirts coming off at speed.

Please post pics after you've installed them. I'm sure it'll look great.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #3

stop by the dealership and ask for the boxster side skirting clips. They are not expensive. And like he said ^ the double sided tape is used after prepping with alcohol.

however...Fiberglass is what I have and its hit or miss. Hopefully the fit is right. Unlike polyurethane which is made from a lazer cut mold that is exactly the right size, fiberglass is made by hand and precise fit depends on who is making it that day. Make sure you get the body shop to do a test fit before you committ to having them paint it. You don't want them to tell you after the fact that it required 5 hours of shaping to fit you car and there goes the $500 you saved.
You want no surprises. Agree to a price before they get started and tell them that you expect 100% guranteed satisfaction.
Bodyshops see Porsche and think they can charge 8X's the usual fee.

p.s.
Make sure they are using OEM paint and not what was left over from the last car they painted of the same color. low cost Bodyshops try to do this with standard colors like Black and white.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
KronixSpeed

Hey Boggtown,

i did my side skirts in my garage, very easy. the side skirts come
already with the adhesive on the inner side of the skirt. im not sure
what else you could put in there to get it to stick any better. the tape already
attached to the skirts is pretty good so far from what i can see.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #5

just a little hint; when car is fully assembled push on diffrent points and angles on your body such as fascia, skirts lips etc. If it seems like it gives and all you care about is maximum down force or aero dynamics try this. Go to hardware store where ever most have "one inch by 1/8 inch by three foot sections of aluminum". Now we are going to use a side skirt for example. Find a good brace point under the car if there is a solid bolt good if you have to drill through the floor double check but works fine. Find the best position of side skirt and using a tape measure and a sharpie mark your two mount points one on skirt one on floor board. Now cut the strip to the appropriate length usually a couple inches longer than your measure ment. Try putting four braces on each skirt. Ok now drill your holes and use some metric hardware locking nuts are usually a good thing with washers. You should have eight holes four on the skirts under or inner edge, and four on the frame. Continue on other side and where ever else you need it. I use the aluminum strips because they are light fairly easy to bend and stay in the form of which you bend. When drilling holes in the aluminum try to keep as much matterial around the drill hole as possible. The end result is the form of the part will not give and the force of air will be directed around the way it was really designed. I have installed lots of body kits and race parts this is something any body can do to help. I think we have all seen a car drive by with bodykit waving. Ha ha. Any questions I think my e-mail is under members. Oh yeah, I have noticed Porsches seem to be fairly solid with OEM parts. You may not need as much bracing as other cars. This also may affect crash crumple zones to a slight degree. I myself don't worry about it.
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #6

There's a TSB on Renntech I believe that covers the aerokit installation (including the skirts).
Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
boggtown

Thanks guys. How much are the clips and how many do I need? I have a sprayer and will probably do the painting myself. Ive got the paint filters and stuff like that. Where can I get factory paint? My code is 741. How much paint would I need to do 2 sideskirts, a front bumper, and rear diffusers? Ive got everything I need, just not here yet, lol. I still dont know if my bumper was shipped yet though. Hope it gets here.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Jonathan -

Did you ever get the skirts on? and if so how did it go and look, I also bought a set from the same guy but am waiting on a few items prior to sending off to the body shop.

Thanks
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
boggtown

No, not yet. Havent arrived... Its been a long time, but he said hes shipped them. I will get them painted as soon as they get here though. My bumper is already getting painted and my rear diffusers are painted, so all thats left is the sideskirts. They should be here this week, if not today (im out of town).