Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Ex Esso kid

Custom Shift Knobs & Boots

Has anyone found a place to buy custom Porsche shift knobs? I have seen some factory aluminium knobs & boots on Ebay @ 500.00. Turns out you can buy MoMo knobs and boots far superior in design and look to anything Porsche at less than half the price. Of course Porsche has seen to it that none of the knobs will fit, unless of course you take out the shift lever and machine a round shaft out of the oval factory unit, which could weaken the shifter lever. Too bad the Italians and Germans can't play nice, Momo's products are spectacular...

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
boggtown

Ive had custom shift knobs on my car forever. I first had an ichibahn, now I have a ractive (kinda cheap, 80 bucks). http://www.toucanindustries.com/index.php?src=directory&view=products&srctype=display&back=products&id=56944&submenu=Ractive&category=Shift+Knobs&pos=45,15,63
Its really quite nice and doesnt get as hot/cold as my other one (solid aluminum). I will have to take a pic of it sometime, its only been in my car for about a month. Also, all I had to do was shave the shifter down to make it a little skinnier, not make it round, I also cut it a little shorter so itd look better.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Bogg,

That looks simular to the unit I'm looking at, did the shift lever cut and shape easily?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
boggtown

With a dremel, its but a mere 5-10 minute job, with a drum sander attachment and a cutting wheel to shorten the height. I didnt have to take off much, just enough for it to fit snugly, then you use screws to tighten it. Maybe 1/16-1/8 inch off the long side.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #5

Why would you want to put a JAPANESE part/shifter on a GERMAN sports car? I wouldn't even want to use an Italian one. Keep you car German through and through. The value of using Porsche parts will keep your car's trade in value higher. I don't plan on trading my car in or selling it, but it just seems like a bad combination. Using different brands together, it's like wearing Nike shoes with Puma socks. They just don't go with each other. But again, this is just my opinion.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #6

There is a guy I know in TX who does alot of custom automotive interior work, I'm planning to send him my factory S shift boot assembly and let him play with it. I'd be happy to post pics on here once I get it back. In the meantime, I have the aluminum (well alu look) shifter on mine from the Carerra.

I agree though, German stuff on a German car. Maybe Italian (after all they do get the whole style thing), but def not Japanese.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Dear 986 spyder, I understand your purist snobbery, I feel that way too at times, however, you should look at the Italian hardware before you type such blather. MOMO steering wheels reside in thousands of Porsches, their quality is legendary. Frankly, the aluminum shifter Porsche makes for their vehicles as an option is ugly, not quality and overpriced. If Porsche had put some leather in my car to begin with and updated the 924 shift knob, I wouldn't be typing this now! Italians make great leather and MOMO design is worthy of a Porsche or any other sports car IMHO.

PS Hey 986 Spyderman, Whats up with the flank stripes you ripped off from Studio Torino? Do you know where Torino is located? *cough* hypocrite* cough...

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 03-12-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #8

Any uber cool shift knobs for the Tip?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Why would you want to put a JAPANESE part/shifter on a GERMAN sports car?
Guess this one slipped through qauality contol....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
boggtown

Wait, you mean clans of aryan German mechanical geniuses dont hand forge each Porsche? lol, Truth be told, it could be a Pakastanie shift knob and I wouldnt care, looks cool.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuster
Why would you want to put a JAPANESE part/shifter on a GERMAN sports car? I wouldn't even want to use an Italian one. :
I am very pleased with the the factory alumalook shifter in my S but I had Momo Steering wheels in my 944/951's and before I put the 930S wheel in my 911 I had a Momo wheel. no complaints, great products.

Do you all have German stereo's in your cars? right...
Oh.. where are Brembo brakes made? riiight

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote