986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear view mirror turning yellowish (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8606)

8sum8 12-14-2006 07:18 AM

Rear view mirror turning yellowish

Need some help here.

Since about a week ago, parts of my rear view mirror is turning yellowish and they are spreading like ink blots. Does anyone know what's causing this and is it possible to just replace just the mirror? I would like to avoid replacing the whole rear view kit, which according to the dealer is $389.

Thanks in advance.

ukchris 12-14-2006 11:00 AM

Is it a standard mirror or auto-dimming?

Are the blots in front of the mirroring? It sounds like the auto-dimming stuff has gone bad or, even worse, maybe it's leaking. It's supposed to be nasty stuff if it leaks.

Chris.

8sum8 12-14-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukchris
Is it a standard mirror or auto-dimming?

Are the blots in front of the mirroring? It sounds like the auto-dimming stuff has gone bad or, even worse, maybe it's leaking. It's supposed to be nasty stuff if it leaks.

Chris.

Its auto dimming and the blots are behind the surface of the mirror.

ukchris 12-14-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8sum8
Its auto dimming and the blots are behind the surface of the mirror.

I can't imagine what it could be other than the auto dimming layer. You can get a regular mirror cheap but the auto-dimming one is about $300, I don't think you can buy just the glass and even if you could that would be the expensive bit.

Dr. Kill 12-14-2006 05:44 PM

I would go ahead and pull the mirror off before the problem starts spreading to other parts of the car.

ukchris 12-14-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I would go ahead and pull the mirror off before the problem starts spreading to other parts of the car.

I agree. I'm not sure what mechanism the Porsche mirror uses but if it is the liquid / gel the stuff can be pretty nasty I unedrstand and might stain your interior if it leaks. Maybe you could post some pictures, if you scrap it I'd be interested in having a look inside to see what has happened.

Chris.

8sum8 12-17-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukchris
I agree. I'm not sure what mechanism the Porsche mirror uses but if it is the liquid / gel the stuff can be pretty nasty I unedrstand and might stain your interior if it leaks. Maybe you could post some pictures, if you scrap it I'd be interested in having a look inside to see what has happened.

Chris.

Thanks guys. Took your advise and replaced the mirror.