Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #1

Question for those with 18" Carrera Lightweight Replicas...

...I like the Carrera Lightweights from WheelDynamics. But, I'm concerned they aren't exactly the same as the OEM version. My question is, are the front rims concave and the rears convex?

One can see what I mean in this picture:

Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
boggtown

My 19's are kinda like that, I think its just to maximize width.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #3

Here are some pix of my wheels from Wheel Dynamics. The front and rears both seem pretty flush (so neither concave or convex really).

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #4

It depends on width.

The Boxster version of these wheels is more flush, because the offsets are high and they are narrow (7.5" and 9")

The Carrera versions are wider, so they are more "concave." The fronts are only 1/2" wider, so they look almost identical, but the Carrera 10" wide rears are dished in a bit, because the wheel centerline is further recessed compared to the outer lip.

The replicas look just like OEM, but, the Carrera rears do indeed "dish in" more.

Last edited by kenkamm; 12-16-2006 at 09:50 AM.
kenkamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm
The Boxster version of these wheels is more flush, because the offsets are high and they are narrow (7.5" and 9").
Not accurate information. My wheel dynamics aftermarket carrera lights are 8" and 10")

The offsets do move the center out to the edge though for the offset clearances required on the boxster.

They are wonderful wheels that look fabulous. Jeph inspired me to get a set... put some 7mm spacers on the back while you're at it, which fills out the wheel wells nicely and makes the back end of the car look bigger than my mother in law bending over. Amazingly wide.

Wide enough to block the sun, actually.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Not accurate information. My wheel dynamics aftermarket carrera lights are 8" and 10")
Hold on there peep. Maybe you need to read my post again. I was talking about the OEM Boxster wheels of that style. They are 7.5" and 9". The replicas are a copy of the OEM wheels, but are only available in Carrera widths.

Last edited by kenkamm; 12-16-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #7

Ken, I just re-read your post and now I see what you were saying. Sorry about that.

I have never parked my car next to a Carrera with factory rims on it to compare the depth of the back wheel lips. I'm sure it's deeper on the real thing.

The OEM Carrera lights for the boxster (correct offsets) are friggin' expensive. Aren't they upwards of $2500 or more for a set?

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-15-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #8

Cool, we're on the same page.

Yeah... the OEM Boxster wheels are really expensive!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #9

I took the difference in price and bought speedster humps, GT2 style side skirts and rear diffuser pieces. They'll go to the paint shop just after Xmas.

A couple of PCA members, at a recent PCA event, admired my new wheels and had no idea they were aftermarket... and these guys drive $80k 996's!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Randall -

You had a post on where you got your wheels, but I could not find it. Would you mind posting the link?

Thanks
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #11

My ltwts are the genuine porsche 5 spokes for the boxster....I bought them used from Earnies in Florida off ebay....paid $1500 for them. They were in almost perfect shape, only a couple of small scratches on 2 of the rims.

So if you are diligent, and troll ebay like a fiend (like I am addicted to doing ) you can get some good deals on wheels.

Try a place called wheel enhancement as well, there are in culver city and have TONS of used genuine porsche wheels, and lots of brand new ones too that were take offs on new cars.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #12

He said where he got them right in his post...

www.wheeldynamics.net
Old 12-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #13

Wheel Enhancements quoted me $2900 for a set of take off Carrera lights... and I'd need those whopping spacers. Ernie's didn't have the Carrera lights with the correct offsets at the time I wanted to pull the trigger, but quoted me what he quoted you if he had them in stock.

Travis, I ordered mine from www.wheeldynamics.com

$999.00 for the rims, 900 or so for the Michelin PS2's mounted and balanced, and shipped with a total of $2,125.00 I think.

Don't buy them off eBay though. You can save the owner a bunch of eBay fees if you call and order them with your credit card. He cut me a deal on different tires than he usually sells (Falkans). I got him to buy some PS2's, mount and road force balance them before they came to me for a little less because I bought them from him direct and not off eBay.

The owner is a great guy. Tell him you found out about his company from this forum and recommend he become a sponsor!

Now one other thing... the center caps on these aftermarkets are total crap. Screen printed black ink and you can scratch it off with your fingernail (almost).

Do yourself a favor and call Sunset and buy a set of colored center caps without holes (harder to steal) and Fuchs style bases (better than those plastic clips) that are painted silver. They're only $25 each plus shipping. Ebay sellers are charging $30 or more for the same thing plus huge s/h fees.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #14

While we are on the subject of carrera lights. I recently got hit by a piece of road debris from a car in front of me and my front rim (carrera light 18") is all nicked up. The rims i have on are factory installed. Would you consider replacing it with the aftermarket ones? Should i just go to the factory and buy a new one?
GregRA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #15

I'd have it repaired. There are wheel repair places that do a nice job for a couple of hundred max.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm
He said where he got them right in his post...

www.wheeldynamics.net

Hold on there peep. Maybe "you" need to read my post again.......

I was not asking him where he got them, but for the post he made here in regards to the purchase. Randall tends to give good information in his posts.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #17

Well I stand corrected. I thought by asking for that link you were asking the other question. So many people don't see the words in someone's post because they read the first sentence and then immediately hit the reply button.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #18

Cool, we're on the same page.