Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #1

Bad Switch? How to fix?

The hood compartment light on my 2002 comes on intermittently depending on how hard I shut the hood which suggests to me a bad switch of some sort? Any ideas on how to fix or does this need to be replaced. Thanks.

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #2

Mine was doing the same, and I found that if I played with the red safety release a bit, it would turn on until I shut and opened it again. I sprayed some WD-40 on the switch (it's buried down in the latch mechanism) and worked it a while until it started working again. One year later, and it's still good.

Might work for you?

Last edited by JackG; 12-06-2006 at 04:41 PM.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I had no idea there was a switch, my light never turns on, where is the switch.... BTW i already replaced the bulb and no light still.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #4

Like JackG said, there must be a switch somewhere in the latch mechanism. I will try some DW40. The switch is what keeps the hood protected via the alarm, and also turn on the compartment bulb, I believe.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I had no idea there was a switch, my light never turns on, where is the switch.... BTW i already replaced the bulb and no light still.
When you pop your hood, then walk around front and reach under the lip to move the red tipped lever to release it, that's the safety release. Look at where that safety release goes down through the plastic trim panel to the latch mechanism... that's where the switch is.

That plastic trim piece is easy to remove to give you better access to the latch/switch. Once in, it may take a few soakings with WD-40 to get it to work reliably. The switch is somewhat exposed to the elements under there, and seems to get crusty over time. I could get my light to turn on by flicking the safety release three or four times, which would jar the switch enough to close its contacts.

Good luck!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #6

WD40 did the trick..the hood compartment lights stays on now. Thanks JackG