Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #1

Hate the painted plastic inside a Boxster interior?

Cover it in leather

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Pan out a little. Which parts did you have done?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
bmussatti

JohnV, that looks like you did your door finishers in leather. Right?

This is actually a factory option. XTV- "Door Finisher in Leather" for $360. I have it...and love it!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 AM   #4

I've thought of doing this myself. Can you tell me where you found the leather, how thin it needs to be, and how you glued it down to the plastic?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #5

That deviated stitching looks great !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've thought of doing this myself. Can you tell me where you found the leather, how thin it needs to be, and how you glued it down to the plastic?
Randall, one source, for the leather, I can offer you is Autos International. 760-737-3565. Ask for Bryce.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
bmussatti

JohnV, you should do your fuse box cover next...like this...in black:
Old 12-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #8

Those look fantastic. I was thinking of taking all of my plastic off and doing a repaint, but the leather is a beautiful alternative.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Pan out a little. Which parts did you have done?
I only covered the black trim piece that is pictured. The car was ordered from the factory with the full leather interior, which gets you the dashboard, the side panels of the console, the center console lid, the door panels and inserts and the roll bars. Obviously the car also has deviated stiching on the seats and doors. I like that little detail.

It just looked wrong to me to have a piece of hard plastic on the door trim and one for the door pocket covers, so I bought some leather off of eBay and went to town. This is my first attempt, and it was difficult but if you're careful it will turn out well.

I used spray adhesive to attach the leather to the plastic, and then wrapped the edges around and used CA (superglue) to attach the wrapped edges to the backside of the plastic. You have to be careful as there is a ridge (really an indentation in the molding) inside the plastic along the top and bottom of the piece which is used to help latch the piece to the door. You can't cover that in leather, so you have to do some very careful trimming so it will still snap on. You also have to sand down the edges of the plastic prior to covering the piece in leather. The leather is about 1/16" thick and so you have to remove that much plastic otherwise the piece will not install.

I didn't do the door pocket covers yet because I wanted to cover them in a thin layer of high density foam first.

The leather I bought was off eBay. Some of the vendors there will send you a sample to see if it matches your interior. I just took a chance and it worked out great! The grain is a near perfect match. The color is slightly more matte, but it will get more shiny with time and Lexol application. It was $20 shipped for a 2' by 2' piece. It should be enough to do both door pull covers and both door pocket covers on my car plus a buddy's car and still have some left over.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
JohnV, you should do your fuse box cover next...like this...in black:
Hm, looks like a 987 fuse box cover, correct? Looks great, but I don't think I want to tackle anything that I would have to stitch. Yet.