Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #1

Minerals from H20 baked on my paint!

Just wondering if anyone have an effective method to get rid of them...I've tried goo-gone, vinegar, and even paint thinner (gently) and still cannot get rid of it...The minerals were probably got stuck for too long and i am hoping that re-paint won't be the only solution...if anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great..thanks!

davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #2

dave, if you're talking about water spots, there are so many other things you could try before re-painting. I'm sure others will jump in with more specifics (my car is still relatively new) but read up on clay bars, cleansers, and polishers with a wide range of abrasiveness. Basically, the idea is to start with the least abrasive method and work up the abrasiveness ladder until you get rid of the problem. Paint thinner may have been a bit of a overkill, IMHO.
Z.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #3

I have used a product called 3M Hand Glaze. Does a nice job and easy to use.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I had alot of water spots, after i used the Meguires step 2 Polish, they were gone.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #5

Post pics of what it looks like or email them to me and I can post them.

but it sounds like etching from water spots. The sun has cut little scars into your clear coat where the water beads stayed too long. Its not the end of the world.
They can be professionaly removed with a buffer. Or you can get an orbital polisher(make sure its orbital!) yourself and use a compound to round the edges of the etching so it won't reflect light any more. They only time you need to repaint is when you have a deep scratch or dent that has gone past the clear coat and penetrated the base or primer layers.

The best way to avoid that happening again is to use a sealant after you compound and acrylic top coats to keep the water beads off of the clear coat.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #6

I dont mean to revive an old topic but im having this issue again, more often now cause when i park near the park, the sprinkler system comes on at nite and wets my car. Its set to OVERSPRAY to get the homeless out at nite. Water spots now seem to still be there after every wash.

Perfectlap: Can you recommend a store bought sealent that i could use to protect me from these water spots from re-appearing?

Im going to the car wash... for a polish, Ill have them hand wash my car first so that the new top doesnt get soap on it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-30-2006, 07:29 AM   #7

Hi,

3M Imperial Hand Glaze will take care of them and won't mar the paint. Use a clean cotton towel and use a new part frequently. Also, use a Spray Bottle with Distilled Water to put a fine mist on the paint as you go before applying the Hand Glaze. It works especially well on water spots. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #8

CJ, keeping an acrylic glaze like Klasse all in one and then a coat of P21s or S100 Carnauba wax on the car will help protect this from happening in the future.

I do this on my black boxster and have had no more hard water stains or etching.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #9

Thanks guys, I think first ill try the Local car wash for the polish, Ill pay extra for the sealant if its not included... If that doesnt work then ill do what you both suggested. Im just getting very very tired of that parks sprinkler system spraying into the middle of the streets the day after i wash my boxster. My arm really hurts from washing and playing my Nintendo Wii.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance