Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2023, 10:31 PM   #1

Help.. need service tool, please?

I know that this is a Long shot, but by any chance someone in Orange County, CA may have an Electronic Service Tool like "Autel Maxi" or other similar brand as I will need to open the EPB (electronic parking brake), to replace pads and rotors on a 2018 VW Tiguan.

I will be happy to leave in cash the value of the tool as a deposit, and could pick it up tomorrow morning, the tool would be returned by the afternoon, thanks a lot!

Last edited by Gilles; 05-06-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:15 AM   #2

Probably not needed anymore but I am in area and have a Vagcom.
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:49 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I know that this is a Long shot, but by any chance someone in Orange County, CA may have an Electronic Service Tool like "Autel Maxi" or other similar brand as I will need to open the EPB (electronic parking brake), to replace pads and rotors on a 2018 VW Tiguan.

I will be happy to leave in cash the value of the tool as a deposit, and could pick it up tomorrow morning, the tool would be returned by the afternoon, thanks a lot!
Reading the post then thinking, "Gilles has all that stuff. He's a kind fella. He's in OC. He'll chime in."

Then I see you hadn't yet responded. I look to see who is the OP...

Gilles, your "jack puckies" still are floating around in my trunk. I haven't forgotten, and haven't been past Palm Springs since the R & R. I'll get them back to you. For sure.

And the little project I am/was working on for you... drop me a liine. Lets get it rolling, again.

Chat soon.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Reading the post then thinking, "Gilles has all that stuff. He's a kind fella. He's in OC. He'll chime in."

Then I see you hadn't yet responded. I look to see who is the OP... .

Chat soon.
It's funny.. but actually, the tool was required to retract the piston on the rear calipers to allow you to install the new (thicker) pads.

It was my first experience with an electronic parking system, and I had to improvise by removing the electric motor that turns a shaft on the rear part of the caliper and manually turned the shaft until bottoms out, and that allows you to push the piston into the caliper.

Many years ago I learned about these types of calipers as they were used on the rear axles of the Fiat X1/9's (without the electric motor).

In other words, I got lucky as I could see the concerned face of my friend that was watching..LOL

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote