Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: What should I do next?
Try another 986, that one sounds off. 9 100.00%
Try a different sports car, 986 isn't for you. 0 0%
Don't bother with sports cars, stick with your sedan. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #1

Test drove a 986 and it didn't feel sporty or stable? Did I drive it wrong?

Disclosure: I've never owned a sports car/roadster and my last current car and the one before that are mid-large sedans which are very comfortable. The dealer said he thought that was why I felt the way I felt.

Test drove a 2004 986s 3.2 today. Has 105k miles on it. Tiptronic model.

It looks to be in great condition from the exterior. The interior has this gold leather finish which is still in very good condition as well and the original porsche entertainment system still works well with working sat nav.

The seats don't seem to have much lumbar support though, and had to do quite some adjusting to get into a somewhat comfortable position.

I was suprised first at how slow the acceleration was, and I'm comparing my 2015 2.0L diesel Vauxhall Insignia (Buick Regal in the US) which goes 0-60 in about 7s, so supposedly a little slower than the 986s.

While test driving, the salesman told me to open up the throttle a bit, so I did, revved at about 4k rpms and when I hit 65-70mph the car did shake a fair bit and didn't feel as stable as I'd have liked it to feel on the road. Not the smoothest drive. Is this just a sports car thing with a stiffer suspension? Or should the 986 be fairly stable at high speeds?

Also, I did have to floor it QUITE a bit to get it to rev and the brakes didn't feel super responsive. Again, I'm unfairly comparing my car which has power brakes and power steering etc. to a 2004 sports car so I'm not sure.

Am I just not used to how sporty a 986 is having never driven a sports car or should I go out and try another one?

Also, the weather was very **************** today so couldn't take the top down to drive it.
Cymjay is offline   Reply With Quote