986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   '98 Boxster base. Headlights always on when running?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82359)

DreamSign 06-22-2022 05:01 PM

'98 Boxster base. Headlights always on when running??

Is there a way to turn off the headlights when the car is running?

New to owning this car. Are the headlights supposed to always be on, even in bright sunlight? Is there a way to manually turn them off?

Rob175 06-23-2022 06:34 AM

On my 1998 base Boxster the headlights are never "ON" unless I turn them on. The 98' does not have "daytime running lights" unless someone, like a previous owner, has done some sort of modification.

Since you are a "new owner"...(forgive me for asking the obvious, but....) are you sure you have the light switch on the left of the steering wheel in the "OFF" position??? If so, then my best guess is that a previous owner did some sort of modification.

DreamSign 06-23-2022 06:44 AM

The light switch appears to be in the "off" position. I've tried every position of the switch, and as long as the car is running, the headlights are on.

DC Jeff 06-23-2022 08:11 AM

I can confirm no daytime running lights on a 99.

A8ked 06-23-2022 09:10 AM

Is it possible that your car is originally from Canada? We do see lots of formally Canadian cars here near the border. DRL's were a Canadian requirement.

DreamSign 06-23-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8ked (Post 647283)
Is it possible that your car is originally from Canada? We do see lots of formally Canadian cars here near the border. DRL's were a Canadian requirement.

Ahhh, you may be on to something. I just drove it down from Canada. It was imported into Canada a few years ago.

I think you figured it out.

You officially "win" this thread :dance:

...now how do I fix it?

JFP in PA 06-23-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamSign (Post 647285)
Ahhh, you may be on to something. I just drove it down from Canada. It was imported into Canada a few years ago.

I think you figured it out.

You officially "win" this thread :dance:

...now how do I fix it?

Requires some electronic parts and reprogramming with a PST II or PIWIS unit.

paulofto 06-24-2022 06:39 AM

[QUOTEDreamSign;647285]

...now how do I fix it?[/QUOTE]

Why not just leave it? DRLs are standard in Canada and are a safety feature.

My car is originally from the US and to register it in Canada the DRLs had to be activated.

DreamSign 06-24-2022 07:39 AM

The car is now in California.

Now that the trans is working correctly (tiptronic was 1/2 liter low and started slipping a little, fixed with addition of fluid) my plan is to sell this one and buy a boxster with a manual trans (I like the 3rd pedal) and possibly a "S" model.

So, given there is nothing objectively "wrong" with the now known to be intentional daytime running headlights, I'll just leave that as is.

What a fun car! I'm really enjoying driving it.