Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #1

Hardtops - a Different Sort of Question

Hey all, I have a hardtop lined up for purchase about 4 hours from me. Before I make the trip I found logistical hurdle may exist...

Will a 986 hardtop fit in the back of a Lexus GX470 with the back most seats removed and others folded down?

HorsiesInDaBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

You can take measurements of your softtop to get an idea - width from door to door, width at the windshield header, height off the top of the doors, length from windshield header to bottom under rear window, and measure the height and width of your tailgate opening and interior floor length. If it looks like it will fit, bring plenty of blankets to protect the top and your interior, and make sure you have a helper to get it into the Lexus.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

When in doubt, rent a truck.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
When in doubt, rent a truck.
Or, install the spinlocks on your Boxster and use it to collect the hard top.

I realize that 4 hours (8 hours round trip) is a long drive in a sports car. I drove to South Carolina from Virginia to pick mine up. I speak from experience.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post

I realize that 4 hours (8 hours round trip) is a long drive in a sports car. I drove to South Carolina from Virginia to pick mine up. I speak from experience.
4 hours of pleasure each way
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
986 Hardtop Dimensions, about: 48" L x 60" W back / 46" W Front x 15" H

I originally wanted to pick mine up with a Grand Cherokee and it was not even close to fitting, they are too wide. Rent a truck or install the spinlocks and pick it up with your Boxster. It will probably be noisy until you take the time to adjust the hardtop and it "settles" to your car. I've written about how to adjust hardtops before.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #7

Always enjoyed my GX470 - almost 200k on clock when finally dumped. Would've kept longer were it not in need of new rear air suspension ($900 parts alone each side at the time). Oh and tagging 2 doe trying to "Evil Knievel" over the road hillside to hillside in front of me...

Anywho... might be possible... with second row seat backs folded down, third row seats on floor (seats make nice soft platform), with top turned perpendicular and loaded upside-down at angle (plus a number of Harbor Freight moving blankets) it might work but will be snug sneaking top in the rear gate

Here are all dimensions on GX470:

https://www.driverside.com/specs/lexus-gx_470-2004-4214-9097-0

Agree though, safest way would be to either drive Box, install there and drive home or rent truck w a 6.5'+ bed.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #8

Garage
Rent a U Haul trailer if you vehicle will tow it. Cheap, you can insure the contents and has no mileage fees.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:

Ditto, I drove 3 hours to pick up my hardtop, the seller was nice enough to to take off the spin locks and install them on my boxster. I love my hardtop, its on about 75% of the time since I like the quieter less noise when the top is on.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #10

I got a super deal on mine. The seller put it on eBay in July. He would not ship and required it to be picked up in a narrow window of time before he moved further south to be closer to his daughter. The top was the same color and as my car and I decided to seize the opportunity. I was the only bidder.

I decided buy spin locks before I drove to South Carolina because spin lock installation is a bit tedious and I wanted to take my time and work carefully. I arrived at the seller's house at about 10:00 p.m. The seller and I (he was a gentleman in his late 70's or early 80's) attempted to install the top and it would not fit. We tried about 4 times and it was beginning to look like bad news. Finally, I pressed down hard on each corner while turning the spin lock and it popped into place.

My theory is that two factors may have led to the problem. First, the top conforms to the shape of the car upon which it is originally installed and each Boxster's body is subject to subtle twisting. Second, the seller told me that he took the top off when he brought the car home from the dealer and never put it on again. It was laying on the floor of his garage and this may have affected the shape.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #11

Quote:

What I did. My car had spin locks already installed but lost the hardtop by the time I got the car… Luckily found a color-matching one on CL only 80 miles away, so just drove up and came home with it on the car. This way you will have no surprise about figment. You can easily adjust the hardtop fitting with Allen screws on brackets.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:

Drove in one day from Albuquerque to Houston to get mine. Drove back in one day the next day. 5-hour Energy drink helps.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:19 AM   #13

When I purchased my hardtop I didn't have spin locks installed yet . The seller and I lifted the top into place and I latched the windshield latch . Paid the money and off I drove . Kept the speed down and arrived safely at home . Yes I drove it with just the front latch holding the top in place .

I only had an hour drive and it wasn't raining . The top has enough weight where it stays in place as long as you keep the speeds down . It worked for me .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:12 PM   #14

Bump - late update

I decided to play it safe and rented a small trailer from uhaul. In hindsight I would've gotten a covered one. Despite having a tarp and moving blankets I found some scuffs to the bottom window trim, which maybe was there already but I am unsure. I was more focused on keeping the load dry which was a success. Cannot wait to adios the PNW weather.

I included a diagram the seller was nice enough to draw up for me. You can really find some great people living out in the vast expanses up here. Maybe this will help someone!

HorsiesInDaBack is offline   Reply With Quote