986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Are Zimmerman brake rotors recommended? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81540)

john12312 08-21-2021 07:50 AM

Are Zimmerman brake rotors recommended?

NAPA has a 25% discount until 8/22 where AAA members get 25% off a purchase. Thought this may be a good time to get some brake rotors. For my 2002 S they're showing a Zimmerman brand (drilled)for about $185 per rotor. They also offer the NAPA brand for about $85. Should I avoid these and get them elsewhere or are these brands OK? Appreciate any feedback.

PaulE 08-21-2021 03:01 PM

Zimmerman is a good brand, so are Sebro and Meyle. Make sure they are coated discs. They come with a zinc coating on the hats and rotors. The brake pads wear the coating off the discs, but it remains on the hats and keeps them from rusting for a lot longer. Check eBay and Rock Auto to see if the NAPA prices are competitive with the discount. I bought a set of all 4 discs Meyle on eBay in 2019 for $178 for my 2003S, it looks like prices have gone up since then! The Meyle discs have held up well with several HPDE's. I used Zimmerman the last time around and they were great too.

john12312 08-21-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 641144)
Zimmerman is a good brand, so are Sebro and Meyle. Make sure they are coated discs. They come with a zinc coating on the hats and rotors. The brake pads wear the coating off the discs, but it remains on the hats and keeps them from rusting for a lot longer. Check eBay and Rock Auto to see if the NAPA prices are competitive with the discount. I bought a set of all 4 discs Meyle on eBay in 2019 for $178 for my 2003S, it looks like prices have gone up since then! The Meyle discs have held up well with several HPDE's. I used Zimmerman the last time around and they were great too.

Thanks PaulE. I checked Rock Auto and didn't see those brands but they did have Brembo which I understand is a known brand and Bosche for about $81 - $91 per rotor both coated. So it looks like the NAPOA offer may not be so sweet.

ike84 08-21-2021 05:43 PM

If you're on the market for a good deal, I really like my powerstop gear. Drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads for just over$100 per corner. Over had them on fire almost a year now, zero brake dust and no rust. Plus great stopping!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

john12312 08-21-2021 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=ike84;641148]If you're on the market for a good deal, I really like my powerstop gear. Drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads for just over$100 per corner. Over had them on fire almost a year now, zero brake dust and no rust. Plus great stopping!

Thanks. I did see Powerstop on Rock Auto at a good price.

Seal1968 08-22-2021 08:02 AM

I have run Zimmermans on all of my cars.

No question, they are good - the zinc coating keeps the hats rust free plus the vents on the front rotors.

I just put a new set on my A4 paired with Brembo pads (reds).

I've never used Powerstop before...now I must investigate as my rotors are nearing replacement...great tip, and the pricing appeals to my thrifty nature!

:cheers:

lkchris 08-22-2021 09:17 AM

Mercedes rotors come with the coating, making me think Zimmerman is an OE supplier for them. So yes, recommended.

Rather than "Rock Auto" why not check suppliers that specialize in Euro vehicles?

******************************** AZ
FCP Euro
ECS Tuning
Pelican Parts

For pads, think Textar, ATE, etc. German stuff.

john12312 08-22-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 641164)
Mercedes rotors come with the coating, making me think Zimmerman is an OE supplier for them. So yes, recommended.

Rather than "Rock Auto" why not check suppliers that specialize in Euro vehicles?

******************************** AZ
FCP Euro
ECS Tuning
Pelican Parts

For pads, think Textar, ATE, etc. German stuff.

Thanks. I should've checked Peleican PArts first as I've bought lots of parts from them in the past. They have all the brands PaulE previously mentioned and at much better prices plus they give PCA members a one time 10% discount.

Thanks to everyone's feedback. I think I have the answers I need to make an informed decision.

john12312 08-22-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seal1968 (Post 641162)
I have run Zimmermans on all of my cars.

No question, they are good - the zinc coating keeps the hats rust free plus the vents on the front rotors.

I just put a new set on my A4 paired with Brembo pads (reds).

I've never used Powerstop before...now I must investigate as my rotors are nearing replacement...great tip, and the pricing appeals to my thrifty nature!

:cheers:

Thanks. Peleican Parts has Zimmerman at a much better price than NAPA.