986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cheap suspension? Used parts? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80882)

PLP 06-16-2021 05:52 AM

Cheap suspension? Used parts?

Well, this might be the Pandora Box question. Bear with me.

I know some purists with yell OEM only, but we all know Porsche stamp costs a lot. OEM supplier will sell it at 150 USD, but Porsche will add another 250 USD just to put the part into Porsche box.
Anyway…

My suspension is shot. I thought the clunks were from the sway bar links, but actually are from the coffins or whatever else. The car has 110k miles and does not seem anything was replaced.
I decided to replace all pieces as it is pointless to swap one by one in order to chase the culprit.

Money being a concern, as always, I searched for options.
I would like to use OEM, but the prices are pretty steep. I would need about 4000-5000 USD for all the pieces (wishbones, control arms, and track rods – no steering pieces here).

Google comes to help and cross search for parts reveals many options….
I think I will go with Meyle (for all they have) and TWR for the rear control arm (986-331-043-04). That would be from Pelican with about 1200-1500 total.

However, eBay, Amazon, or the rock store auto have many cheaper options.

It brings up the question – are any of them worth the effort? I mean, one could find those at maybe even 800 USD total. Or even less for used parts... which I personally think is a bit too far... so skip this option.

Has anyone tried the cheapest parts?

Second part is – struts are gone as well. No question they are still factory…
I might be able to get a used set of struts and springs from a 20k old car for less than 400 USD. That would still give me pretty much lifetime usage (another 40k miles – probably 8-10 years driving if not longer).
Or go with struts only (springs stay)… which would be 1500 USD or so. Struts themselves about 1100 plus all rubbers, mounts, pieces another 400.

Used or new?

My plan for now – I am leaning towards Meyle and used struts.
Suggestions?

ike84 06-16-2021 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLP (Post 637482)
Well, this might be the Pandora Box question. Bear with me.

I know some purists with yell OEM only, but we all know Porsche stamp costs a lot. OEM supplier will sell it at 150 USD, but Porsche will add another 250 USD just to put the part into Porsche box.

Anyway…

My suspension is shot. I thought the clunks were from the sway bar links, but actually are from the coffins or whatever else. The car has 110k miles and does not seem anything was replaced.

I decided to replace all pieces as it is pointless to swap one by one in order to chase the culprit.

Money being a concern, as always, I searched for options.

I would like to use OEM, but the prices are pretty steep. I would need about 4000-5000 USD for all the pieces (wishbones, control arms, and track rods – no steering pieces here).

Google comes to help and cross search for parts reveals many options….

I think I will go with Meyle (for all they have) and TWR for the rear control arm (986-331-043-04). That would be from Pelican with about 1200-1500 total.

However, eBay, Amazon, or the rock store auto have many cheaper options.

It brings up the question – are any of them worth the effort? I mean, one could find those at maybe even 800 USD total. Or even less for used parts... which I personally think is a bit too far... so skip this option.

Has anyone tried the cheapest parts?

Second part is – struts are gone as well. No question they are still factory…

I might be able to get a used set of struts and springs from a 20k old car for less than 400 USD. That would still give me pretty much lifetime usage (another 40k miles – probably 8-10 years driving if not longer).

Or go with struts only (springs stay)… which would be 1500 USD or so. Struts themselves about 1100 plus all rubbers, mounts, pieces another 400.

Used or new?

My plan for now – I am leaning towards Meyle and used struts.

Suggestions?

I have replaced the rear LCAs with URO parts. I know people say that stands for "u replace often" but I beat the **************** out of her on turns ever day and they're holding well 4 years later.

Sway bar bushings I replaced with energy suspension bushings. They're dirt cheap and work fantastic.

Even though my car only had 28k mi when I bought it 4 years ago, my struts were toast by 40k. I wouldn't buy factory struts off a 20year old car regardless of the mileage or overall appearance. The Germans make some hella tough rubber but that **************** just wasn't meant to last for decades.

I put godspeed coilovers on mine. Less than a grand for the set in EBay and amazon. Easy to install if you know what you're doing, alignment went without issue. They've only seen a few thousand miles but I really like them and have no issues.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

bcrdukes 06-16-2021 06:17 AM

Apologies for the wall of text in advance.

I think this is a dilemma we all face, but ultimately boils down to ones circumstances and what your plans are.

Personally, I don't feel the need to spring the premium for Porsche branded parts, so it's aftermarket for me. There is a time and place to spring for Porsche branded parts, but for stuff like coffin arms, track arms, control arms, etc. I'd go with aftermarket/cheaper parts.

It's been proven over many years and loads of experiences of Boxster owners that TRW/Meyle/Lemforder-made parts are just as good as Porsche branded and so forth. There are some brands that are better than others, so really you just have to do your own research. Are there some zealots who overcompensate and spend big money on aftermarket parts or only swear by Porsche branded parts? Absolutely. (And I am one of them...sometimes.)

I think what will help you decide is what you plan on doing with this car, and how long you want to keep it for. I'm quite happy with my Boxster as a fun car when I have a reliable daily driver. Coming from a daily driver 996, the Boxster is a fun, reliable secondary vehicle. Loved my 996 but had to sell due to a cross-country move and didn't want it to die a painful death with exposure to salt and living in a rust belt. My Boxster has been extremely reliable, but I just wished that the cost of ownership was as comparable to my Toyota (hahaha I wish!) :D Hope that helps.

Edit: Struts / shocks - buy new, please. Don't buy used. You never know what you're getting from used suspensions.

Jasper7821 06-16-2021 06:26 AM

I am in this process now, but not due to wear but due to hitting the curb. I already had brand new month old control arm and sway bar links so had to buy them again. I went aftermarket due to my car has 108k on it and I wanted to save money. I never saw a aftermarket hub carrier so I bought that used. I bought a new DSS axle shaft for $150 and new aftermarket arms and links. Still waiting on the hub carrier then will get it all together and see how it all goes.
I wish I knew about this place earlier, as they have OEM used package deals on suspension parts. Check them out, they seem to be the best price and free shipping if you want to try OEM used.

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/porsche/1997-2004-boxster-996-911/

Stl-986 06-16-2021 07:43 AM

********************************, pick your brand for the part you need.

Shocks - Koni red if daily driver. On sale right now, well under $1k for all 4 wheels.
Koni yellow if doing any DE events, although adjusting the rear is too damn difficult, also on sale

bcrdukes 06-16-2021 10:49 AM

I'm using Koni Red (Special Active) and a few others on the forum have followed suit and really enjoy the ride quality. I don't do enough DE events to justify the yellow and to Stl-986's point, adjusting the rear is a pain and not something worth the additional effort for me. The gluttons out there will love it.

PLP 06-16-2021 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone for their input. I really appreciate it.

From what I gathered here - new struts. KONI is on sale (Pelican does not have free shipping on them), so eBay beats their price by a lot.
New struts it is.

A follow up question on the suspension.

Have you heard of Deutsche Parts brand?

Qingdao 06-16-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLP (Post 637520)
Thanks everyone for their input. I really appreciate it.
A follow up question on the suspension.

Have you heard of Deutsche Parts brand?

Yeah, thats who I used. No problems here, but I've only done about 4000 miles so far. I did everything just like you are talking about. I got my control arms, swaybar end links, and strut mounts from them. I got the oem blistien struts and re-used my springs.

IIRC out the door was less than $2k for struts and the lot.

bcrdukes 06-16-2021 08:45 PM

Like every vendor/brand, do your homework.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20441-avoid-beware-ebay-seller-deutsche-parts-usa.html

PLP 06-17-2021 12:13 PM

Pelican provided KONI struts along with mounts.
Weird - they say FREE shipping.... but if the weight is over I think 15 lb, it becomes non-free anymore.
Go around - place 4 separate orders.

eBay provided a mix of URO (wishbones) Meyle (all the others) and TRW.

Yes, I read about Deutsche Parts and quality of their parts... so I skipped them. Yes, I want to save cash, but there is a limit to it.

Stl-986 06-17-2021 01:49 PM

There is always a way around things. Keep in mind when doing the rear you will need an alignment. Make sure whoever does it is using a good machine, preferably a Hunter.