Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
PLP

Lug bolts or lug nuts - specs for OEM wheels.

The parts catalog is a bit confusing.
It lists about 6 different part numbers for wheel bolts.

The car I got came with 19" wheels that are darn wide... rear tire is 275 mm and it still looks like was stretched on the rim.
There is a spacer that adds another 12 mm or so to the rear offset.

Since I am going back to stock 17" wheels it was built back in 2003, I need to ensure my bolts will work.
All the bolts I see on the car are ball style.
Front most likely will fit no problem.
Rear - they will also fit, but could it be they are too long?

Now they are definitely longer than the front ones.

I guess, in the end the question is - what is the correct length of the OEM bolts for OEM wheels?
The 17's do not need any spacers in the back, or front.
Fronts will have about 7-8 turns before getting tight.
Rear - a few more...

So what do we do?

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #2

I can't help you with part numbers, but I also have a 2003 Boxster S. A few years back I bought 5 stock lug bolts from Itsnotanova (Woody) when he was still in the used Boxster parts business to get rid of my lock bolts. He didn't ask me what year or size bolts I needed, the ones he sent me were the same length as the ones on my car. I have both 17 inch and 18 inch OEM wheels and no spacers, the lug bolts work with both of them just fine. The length of the bolt shaft to the ball washer thing is just under 30 mm. If your rear lug bolts are too long, I think they will interfere with the parking brake mechanism inside the hat of the disk brake rotor, and that will be a big mess for you. Here is a picture of one of my stock lug bolts. Hope this is helpful.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
The parts catalog is a bit confusing.

It lists about 6 different part numbers for wheel bolts.

The car I got came with 19" wheels that are darn wide... rear tire is 275 mm and it still looks like was stretched on the rim.

There is a spacer that adds another 12 mm or so to the rear offset.

Since I am going back to stock 17" wheels it was built back in 2003, I need to ensure my bolts will work.

All the bolts I see on the car are ball style.

Front most likely will fit no problem.

Rear - they will also fit, but could it be they are too long?

Now they are definitely longer than the front ones.

I guess, in the end the question is - what is the correct length of the OEM bolts for OEM wheels?

The 17's do not need any spacers in the back, or front.

Fronts will have about 7-8 turns before getting tight.

Rear - a few more...

So what do we do?
If you have spacers, the bolts are aftermarket and lengthened to accommodate the added width of the spacer. Just subtract the width of the spacer from the length of the bolt and you have your answer.

BTW, make sure you buy bolts with freely rotating necks. You will trash (and potentially structurally damage) the wheel of you don't)

I have my old bolts from when I installed spacers a few years ago. They're not in great shape but I could cherry pick the better ones for you if you're interested.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2021, 04:00 AM   #4
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
If you have spacers, the bolts are aftermarket and lengthened to accommodate the added width of the spacer. Just subtract the width of the spacer from the length of the bolt and you have your answer.

BTW, make sure you buy bolts with freely rotating necks. You will trash (and potentially structurally damage) the wheel of you don't)

I have my old bolts from when I installed spacers a few years ago. They're not in great shape but I could cherry pick the better ones for you if you're interested.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

While it all makes sense (length/spacer...) I am not sure how far I should trust the previous owner/tire shop. Let's just say - some things and approaches are questionable and I had different experiences with tire shops.

I would take you on the offer of used bolts. I might really need them. The back ones are definitely longer... and after inspecting the OEM wheels (thickness of the rim is same when meeting the hub). Hence front and rear length should be same.

I agree on risk of touching pieces of the drum. Hence I asked here.

PaulE, thanks for the measurement. I will check the front ones.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote