986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2 questions... Having Minor (?) issues. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8011)

subgraphic 11-01-2006 06:28 AM

2 questions... Having Minor (?) issues ** UPDATED **

Hi Guys-

2 things happening with the box that I need to ask about.

1st, when I hit certain speeds, a fast rattling noise comes out from around the gauge cluster until I accelerate out of that speed. It sounds EXACTLY like when my speedometer cables would get jacked up in my old vw bugs. I assume that’s what it is, but I’m curious if any of you have heard this.

2nd, my rear tires are getting louder and louder. The roaring is getting worse and I constantly check the tire pressure. They seem to be wearing even, and was aligned 4 months ago. It seems to be coming from the right rear the most, but that could be just me... Does this sound like bad tires? Mis aligned? I’m going crazy?

Any thoughts on this is appreciated!

Thanks! :cheers:

Tool Pants 11-01-2006 07:18 AM

Don't know what the noise is, but it is an electronic cluster and there is no cable like in the old cars.

Perfectlap 11-01-2006 07:21 AM

how many miles are on those rears?
they get louder the more they start looking like shaved r-comps.

subgraphic 11-01-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
how many miles are on those rears?
they get louder the more they start looking like shaved r-comps.

Hard to say, I bought the car used. They still have a great deal of tread left. Would being out of alignment cause the excess noise?

Tool pants, thank you for that- now I have some noise finding to do!

KevinH1990 11-01-2006 05:52 PM

When I bought my car used, the rear tires had plenty of tread left, but they were cupped on the inside due to misalignment. I didn't realize how loud they were until I had a flat and put on a new set of rear tires.

The cupping was much more obvious with the wheel off the car than on.

subgraphic 11-01-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990
When I bought my car used, the rear tires had plenty of tread left, but they were cupped on the inside due to misalignment. I didn't realize how loud they were until I had a flat and put on a new set of rear tires.

The cupping was much more obvious with the wheel off the car than on.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I was hoping to avoid buying a new set of tires... but now I won’t feel so bad taking the off ramps a little harder and wearing them a bit! :cheers:

C5150 11-01-2006 07:16 PM

I've got a little rattle too - Did some noise finding myself, and found that when I push down on the dash piece that covers the gauges, it stops. Not sure how to silence it though...

- C5150

Perfectlap 11-01-2006 08:36 PM

The roaring is most likely the inside of the rear tire rubbing on the shock.
When you take the wheels off see if you can see a burn mark on the shock itself.

subgraphic 11-06-2006 10:22 AM

Got the car back from the dealership- it was the right rear wheel bering.
Not sure why I didnt think of that when I made the post...

Welcome back "quiet" box!