986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New owner soft top replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79923)

ike84 03-26-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escott1622 (Post 632494)
Where are you located at? In I’m PA I’ve found several

I'm in southern KY, near the TN border. P-cars don't ever seem to wind up in junkyards here (lots more chevys than german coupes unfortunately). And I haven't had any luck inline. Where did you find them? My brother lives in SW PA near the WV border, I wonder if we could work something out.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Escott1622 03-26-2021 09:38 PM

I ended up buying a glass window top not faded great great condition for 400$, I have other things that need attention on the car I’d rather not spend my time going nuts with trying to put a top cover on my old frame

Escott1622 03-26-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike84 (Post 632516)
I'm in southern KY, near the TN border. P-cars don't ever seem to wind up in junkyards here (lots more chevys than german coupes unfortunately). And I haven't had any luck inline. Where did you find them? My brother lives in SW PA near the WV border, I wonder if we could work something out.

Use the website Car-Part.com.com type in the car and select “roof” as the car part and just look for a good one near you, most have pictures so you can tell the condition of them it took me alittle to find a great glass one (I’d suggest that since they tend to be better condition) it has a live chat feature where you can message about condition and updated pictures

Rob175 03-27-2021 05:39 AM

Do you love your car? Do you plan on keeping it for years to come? IF "yes" I'll repeat and say again.....spend the $$$ and have a good quality shop do it in one day and amortize the money you've spent over the future years you'll be keeping the car. Easy peezy! OR...waste a lot of time searching for an old top and frame and spend your money on that, but you'll still wind up with an "old top" just like you have now!...lol.

Escott1622 03-27-2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob175 (Post 632537)
Do you love your car? Do you plan on keeping it for years to come? IF "yes" I'll repeat and say again.....spend the $$$ and have a good quality shop do it in one day and amortize the money you've spent over the future years you'll be keeping the car. Easy peezy! OR...waste a lot of time searching for an old top and frame and spend your money on that, but you'll still wind up with an "old top" just like you have now!...lol.

Yeah I paid like 4K for my car, needed 4 new tires right away, looks to have been repainted. For my situation yes a used cheap top is just fine but I would suggest what you said to those with nicer examples

Rob175 03-27-2021 07:23 AM

Understood......mine is a 98' in near "mint" condition with only 85,000 miles. It's the base model 5 speed Boxster and my "summer sunny day driver". It's book value is less than $7M but to me it's a priceless source of enjoyment and I take pride in maintaining it in beautiful shape ....... unfortunately, nothing lasts forever but until then.....
Good luck with yours and have fun!

ike84 03-28-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escott1622 (Post 632523)
Use the website Car-Part.com.com type in the car and select “roof” as the car part and just look for a good one near you, most have pictures so you can tell the condition of them it took me alittle to find a great glass one (I’d suggest that since they tend to be better condition) it has a live chat feature where you can message about condition and updated pictures

Thanks escott, I appreciate the advice!