986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New 986 owner (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79635)

Rexracer 02-23-2021 12:49 PM

New 986 owner

Hey fellow fans. I just picked up a 2000 base model (with manual) because it was such a good deal. I dont need a car, but have always admired these cars. I was able to locate the previous reputable shop that serviced the car, and showed how they had done the IMS as well as clutch lot to long ago.

I was told the wheels/aero package/xenon headlights are all prized items. A fellow Auto-x buddy runs a Boxster S, and has some standard wheels/headlights he would sell me.

So what do these wheels typically sell for? Is the body kit worth pulling off? Headlights?

My goal with the car is to fix the things I know are wrong and enjoy until summer when people are looking for a convertible then sell. Unless I just love it so much I cant get rid of it. ;-) http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1614116957.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1614116965.jpg

tommy583 02-23-2021 01:09 PM

You could get some nice money for the wheels, headlights and Aero kit, but why do you want to sell them? IMO they make the car.

Rexracer 02-23-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 631066)
You could get some nice money for the wheels, headlights and Aero kit, but why do you want to sell them? IMO they make the car.

While I agree they all do look good, being a "cheap car", I am trying to figure out if they are worth more selling separate then what they raise the value of the car. e.g. Sell car as is for 7k, or sell parts for ~2k? profit and sell car for 6k=8k total. Numbers are made up to show what I am trying to understand.

solo118 02-23-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexracer (Post 631069)
While I agree they all do look good, being a "cheap car", I am trying to figure out if they are worth more selling separate then what they raise the value of the car. e.g. Sell car as is for 7k, or sell parts for ~2k? profit and sell car for 6k=8k total. Numbers are made up to show what I am trying to understand.

I don’t get it. You still need a set of wheel/tires. They are not cheap for this car so you won’t net much.

If you got such a great deal just enjoy it as is and drive it like you stole it.

Rexracer 02-23-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo118 (Post 631070)
I don’t get it. You still need a set of wheel/tires. They are not cheap for this car so you won’t net much.

If you got such a great deal just enjoy it as is and drive it like you stole it.

Buddy that has a 986 has wheels/headlights he can sell me. I know what that price is. I DONT know how much the current wheels/headlights are worth.

I purchased the car due to the great price, but with 100% intention to sell it (this is how I got my wife to approve the purchase. I already have a play car (for Auto-X). So I plan to enjoy it while I have it, and use the processed to fund my racing habit.

tommy583 02-23-2021 03:27 PM

Well if that is the case then list them on here or just list the whole car. You never really know what stuff is truly worth until somebody buys it. Or you could do some research on the items and then list them for the prices you think are fair.

ike84 02-23-2021 03:53 PM

Deambered xenon lights are worth at least $500 if they are clear glass with no hazing. What size are the wheels? 17s? They look like two piece wheels which some guys find really desirable. If they're genuine porsche then that's $300-500 per wheel if they're in good shape. You will find that tires for these cars are expensive (200-300 per tire) as was said earlier, so that works both ways. I'm not sure it's worth pulling off the side skirts but aero kits are not cheap new.

At the end of the day it's all about finding a buyer for the stuff. You may get lucky and sell it all for a great price to a single buyer. You may list this stuff and it sit in your garage until next spring.

I'd be interested in seeing more pics of the headlights though ;)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Rexracer 02-23-2021 04:12 PM

Ikea84, that’s actually helpful, thanks.

Rexracer 02-23-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 631080)
Well if that is the case then list them on here or just list the whole car. You never really know what stuff is truly worth until somebody buys it. Or you could do some research on the items and then list them for the prices you think are fair.

Normally that’s exactly what I do on a forum, but I was only able to go back a few months of sale items. (12/11/2020), is there an archived someplace? Is there other forums that have a longer history?
I evidently wrongly assumed that if these are “common desirable items” someone could give a range, I.e “I have see them listed for 100-200”.

RedTele58 02-23-2021 04:57 PM

Headlights will go for $500-600 if they are in decent shape and lenses aren't burned and the rubber trim pieces are in decent shape. Expect less if the lights need work or cleaned up.

Your wheels are 2-piece 18" Sport Design. If they're in decent shape (no curbing, gouges, etc) you MIGHT get $750-800 for them. Prepare to sit on them for awhile if you're looking for that kind of money. $600 is probably more realistic. If they are only of fair condition, expect $500. If you have to ship them, expect shipping to run $25-50 each. Someone wanting them and having to pay for shipping isn't going to give you top dollar. And then, the 18" tires on your wheels aren't going to fit the 17" wheels your buddy has, so figure out what you're going to do for replacement tires.

Your aerokit, if complete - front bumper cover w/ grills, both side skirts and the rear fiberglass decklid w/ spoiler and the trim pieces from the trunk that cover up where the pop up spoiler usually sits may fetch you $1,200-1,500 for the complete kit. If you try to break it up, you might get $5-600 for the front bumper cover if it's not torn up, the side skirts if in decent shape will probably bring you $300 and the rear deck lid, spoiler and trim pieces might bring $5-600.

The problem with the aerokit is if you can't find a local guy to buy them and you have to ship them, it becomes pretty expensive to ship, and anyone interested will think twice when they factor in shipping.

Then factor in your time to remove everything. If you sell the aerokit, how you gonna replace it? With a (probably) mismatched front bumper cover off a wreck, when you remove the side skirts you'll have holes to fix where they were attached that you'll have to fix. Same with the deck kid. Plan to buy a salvage decklid, and a pop-up spoiler, motor and all the associated crap that goes with it, (because an aerokit car doesn't have a pop-up spoiler) Then you're going to have a car with a mismatched front bumper cover, holes in the lower body where the side skirts mounted and a cobbed together mismatched rear decklid and spoiler.

Yeah - that'll add value to the car. By the time you fix your car of many colors, you'll have more money in replacing the aerokit than you sold it for.

So - still think it's a good idea?

Your best bet is to swap the headlights and maybe make $300, you might make a couple hundred on the wheels by replacing them with 17"s, and you'll lose your ass trying to remove the aerokit and replacing it with standard base model pieces and making the car look decent.

And the prices I quoted you above are all prices I've paid for the exact parts over the past couple of years. I have several sets of Sport Design wheels that I paid less than $500 for each set, 2-3 sets of clear headlights I paid $450-600 for each set. I have two complete aerokits that I've bought by pieces and parts paying what I told you above on prices.

If you look on eBay, right now there are several aero front bumper covers for sale at the $800-$1,000 range. Then look at the shipping costs on them. And at $800-1,000 they've been sitting a long time. I've been watching them.

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but you're pretty much wasting your time if your going to swap anything more than the headlights.

Clean the car up and hope you can get $1,000 more than you paid for it.

And then, if you were to attempt all this tom-foolery, your going to go to market with a pieced together Boxster missing the cool factor of clear headlights, 18" wheels and an aerokit. Now sit your cobbled together car against one of a thousand unmolested Boxsters for sale and see how it sells...

If you decide to tear the car apart, let me know about the aerokit - you know above what they're worth.

itsnotanova 02-23-2021 05:11 PM

AS someone who has parted out at least 70 boxsters, in my opinion RedTele58 is 100% correct. It's just not worth it

RedTele58 02-23-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 631086)
AS someone who has parted out at least 70 boxsters, in my opinion RedTele58 is 100% correct. It's just not worth it

And RedTele58 has bought a fair amount of the above mentioned parts from Woody, so we both know of which we speak. :cheers:

tommy583 02-23-2021 06:09 PM

Great points above. I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't about to write all that lol. Sometimes I wish Starter jumped in on threads.

Starter986 02-24-2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 631092)
Great points above. I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't about to write all that lol. Sometimes I wish Starter jumped in on threads.

LOL. Thanks! I've been trying to exercise humility in an effort to curry favor (responses to my few posts). :rolleyes:

This is what caught my eye in the OP, "Unless I just love it so much I cant get rid of it. ;-)".

OP just neds to drive the car for a couple months then abandoning the notion of selling it for a $1K profit. Red and Itsnot are spot on with their asessment of how things would unfold (pulling, parting, purchasing, reinstalling) The time factor of doing all that work negates the anticipated profit). OP should look for another Boxster "project" and enjoy the seemly gem he has.

On that note... is anyone going to chime in on my Tiptronic post? :o

Have a nice day, Fellas.

BrokenLinkage 02-24-2021 06:02 AM

These cars are great when well-sorted, and rather a headache when not, with a gulf of money and effort between the two. Why take a well-sorted example and expend much effort to convert it to a less desirable example that will fetch less. And frankly, while some buyers will shy from ANY move away from factory configuration, most in the 986 market have some tolerance for mods to "improve" a car. But few prospective buyers are going to have a positive response when they check the option codes and realize the car under consideration has been cannibalized. Smacks of a seller who can't afford to maintain the car, and raises the question of what other compromises have been made (oil changes, bandaid repairs, etc).
The parts def have value, but the hole in the value of the car left behind is substantial. Concur with RedTele in general, though you may do a little better price wise depending on condition and local market. Much wisdom in his post, and based on a LOT of boxster experience.
(Also bear in mind the headlight substitution is plug and play, but removal of the equipment for the Litronic auto-leveling feature is not very practical, so that will stay with your car. So they are a little more functional / valuable to the owner of a car having the wiring to achieve full functionality, and your non-Litronic replacements will lack this.)
Its your car and I'm not telling you what YOU should do, you'll have to figurs out what is best for your situation. From a purely financial perspective, if you disregard your time investment, you might make a little. But unless the car has other major flaws, probably a bad idea when you look at the big picture, IMO.

Rexracer 02-24-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 631085)
So - still think it's a good idea?

Thanks for taking the time to write all this out, a lot of the condescending tone isn't at all needed, but that is the information I need to know.

Being new to the chassis, I don't KNOW these prices (I do understand the work/time/cost of replacing the parts). So I asked the community for input. You provided the expected prices that I can now make informed decisions from. For all I know the wheels are worth 20k and the headlights 10k (I am completely exaggerating to make my point), so that WOULD be worth parting those things out.

My point is, I DIDN'T know these prices ranges, now I DO know them, and I can informed decisions from here.

RedTele58 02-24-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexracer (Post 631118)
Thanks for taking the time to write all this out, a lot of the condescending tone isn't at all needed, but that is the information I need to know

Sorry - I didn't mean to come off as condescending - it's just struck me as kind of a far-fetched idea. But yeah, I understand if you're not familiar with the car and the market you might think there's more there than there really is to what some of this stuff is worth.

You have a fairly unique car - most aero cars are usually pretty heavy optioned, so you might want to take some time and decode your option list (sticker under the front hood) and see what you have.

If it was me, I'd get it caught up on basic maintenance - fluids, belt and the like, check it for maintenance codes and get them taken care of, then detail it and sell the car on it's first impression looks and option list.

If you plan to sell it and you get deep into maintenance trying to make it perfect you'll quickly run out of profit margin.

If you decide to keep it, make it as perfect as you can and enjoy the ride. :cheers:

Rexracer 02-24-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 631121)
Sorry - I didn't mean to come off as condescending - it's just struck me as kind of a far-fetched idea. But yeah, I understand if you're not familiar with the car and the market you might think there's more there than there really is to what some of this stuff is worth.

You have a fairly unique car - most aero cars are usually pretty heavy optioned, so you might want to take some time and decode your option list (sticker under the front hood) and see what you have.

If it was me, I'd get it caught up on basic maintenance - fluids, belt and the like, check it for maintenance codes and get them taken care of, then detail it and sell the car on it's first impression looks and option list.

If you plan to sell it and you get deep into maintenance trying to make it perfect you'll quickly run out of profit margin.

If you decide to keep it, make it as perfect as you can and enjoy the ride. :cheers:

My friend that races a 99 S is the one that told me those parts are worth big $, so I wanted to understand. Now with your valuable input I am 99% sure I will not change out these parts as the cost of replacements vs lost value isn't there.

Fortunately I have good records on the car with what has been done. I already am working up my list of things to do based on the history. Oh I probably forgot, I wont get the car home for 3ish weeks, so its a waiting game right now.

I have been trying to find a free vin check, so far the Atlanta one isnt up that I can find. Has anyone found another source? I am interested to understand if these are options the owner put on or if they came with the car.

Thanks again for the valuable knowledge.

tommy583 02-24-2021 10:11 AM

https://vinanalytics.com/

Try this link. It seems to work pretty good for a car I was looking at.

Rexracer 02-24-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 631129)
https://vinanalytics.com/

Try this link. It seems to work pretty good for a car I was looking at.

Thanks, but this one says "build sheet un-available"

it says it has the 2.5L motor, aren't all 2000s and up 2.7L?